Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi G-class owners,
After some time in deciding whether to choose G55 vs G300 CDI (Military version), I had postponed in this decision till now.
Now, I am up to choose between G300 CDI and G350 Bluetec. Is W463 supposed to be a more rigid body? Or Is W463 just a more luxurious version?
However, would the "military" version be rarer?
I have heard during an off road exhibition event, 463's axle broke while 461 took the off road course like a piece of cake.
Please share your opinion so I can have a much more thorough thinking process in making the right choice.
Best regards,
Jack

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To be honest, mostly city of Hong Kong. Once in a few months, some short off road trails in the burbs.
If time and trip is permitted, I would take it on long drives to China or Thailand like i did on my Defender. But those trips take place perhaps once a year.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,976 Posts
I have heard during an off road exhibition event, 463's axle broke while 461 took the off road course like a piece of cake.
Jack
Axles did not break, only shocks; and this happened on a track in Australia that would be nothing like the streets of HK. The probable main reason for the shocks failure on the G350's was the use of street tires and wheels on a very rough off road track.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From my understanding, the incident happened in a MB offroad in Hong Kong.
Regardless, is the 461 categorized as a superior offroader to the 463 while 463 is a more "streetable" version?
thanks
jack

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,976 Posts
From my understanding, the incident happened in a MB offroad in Hong Kong.
Regardless, is the 461 categorized as a superior offroader to the 463 while 463 is a more "streetable" version?
thanks
jack
The W463 is fully capable off-road, probably more capable than the driver.

The only probably way that axles could have broken would have been if they were jumping the trucks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On the value front, is a military version rarer? My intension was to buy G350 while trading in theQ7 TDI. however, the price discrepancy between G300 and G350 is quite huge.

·
Registered
G500, Land Rover Defender 110, Ford Mustang Boss 302, BMW R100GSPD Classic
53 Posts
I wish I had this dilemma

Too bad MBUSA can't sell me what I want.

Dreaming of a B6 G-Guard...just kidding.

Seriously though, provided you do your proper due diligence, it's hard to go wrong with a G...

geo

·
Registered
'97 G300 LWB
110 Posts
for HK/CN, i think the 461 will be very rare, simply because most of the crowd who can afford a brand new G will not want cheap plastic 461 interior with the manual crank window.

personally, i'd much rather get the 461. regardless of any pricing issues
old school G is uber-cool..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts