Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
Ive just bought a 1988 280GE SWB 4-speed auto g wagon.

it’s in good condition and running well. One thing I’ve noticed straight awayis that the odometer and trip meter are not turning / registering miles. All other instruments are working fine including speedometer. All are mechanical rather than electric

I’ve done a bit of exploring and it seems that wear on the gears within the speedometer can cause this issue and is common among vehicles of 70s / 80s.

Has anyone encountered this issue and any suggestions on approach to repair? Needless to say, step 1 is pulling out the instrument cluster!
Thanks in advance all

·
Registered
96 G300DT
1,988 Posts
It is a cracked gear in the odometer. Once cracked, it loses it's grip on the shaft and can't turn it. I believe one can get replacement gears, though the work is a bit fiddly. The hardest part is opening up the can. There are certainly shops that do this for a living.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mate. It looks easy enough to take out the instrument cluster (looks to be two small screws, one either side of the cluster housing). I’ll see if I can get it out and identify the cracked gear

1 - 4 of 4 Posts