Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hii everyone !
I bought a used Merc S320 Cdi W221 (a 2008 model, cost me around USD $ 1,00,000 here) 3 months ago from a independant dealer here in Delhi, India. The car had been driven around 50,000 kms, had two owners, & was serviced by the local M-B dealer a few months before at 46K Kms.

Took delivery, driving at 80-90 km/hr for around 100 kms from Delhi, when th engine just cut. No warning light, no error codes, no temp/engine overheating, no coolant/oil loss..Nothing.

Checked engine comp, cudnt find anything visually wrong. Got th car put on a flatbed & took it to th authorized M-B dealer (Patel Auto) in Gurgaon. Diagnosis was engine seizure! Gave me a quote of around USD $30-35,000 to repair ! Since the M-B dealers here a rip-off artists par excellance, I decide to got to a friend's garage nearbym & get th car repaired.

Since engine had seized, got th block removed, cut/grinded th crank, put in new sleeves pistons,con rods, main end bearings, oil pump,filters, new synth oil.. the works..all original M-B sourced from Germany.

Started & kept the car on Idle for 12-14 hours, checked all sys, no faults, leakages, or error codes. Decided to drive to my family home around 1300 kms away for a weekend trip.
Completed around 1300 kms totally ,car ran fine, only 2 persons in th car, no a/c used,no luggage/towing ,& driving around 100 km/hr only.

Next day, we go into town, just 15 mins or so, at 110 km/hr...Kaput. Engine dies , exactly th same way as it did before... Unbelievable...Same engine seizure..Th first time in Delhi the engine wud crank/turn ..this time it doesnt, seems seized solid..we are opening th engine here again, will kno in a day or so what exactly has happened again...

For a reputed 125 year old co like M-B to sell a vehicle like th S320 cdi, which costs upwards of US$ 200,000 here in India, n have a super luxury car which has been driven only 50,000 kms have multiple engine failures at such a low mileage & short notice, is frankly shameful on M-B's reputation & beyond my ken to fathom..

I have owned a Mercedes since 1986 ( a W124) & thereafter three W203, one W210, two W211, all except th 124 gave me recurring & costly trouble..Still inspite of all th horror stories bout Merc's quality & the problems I had faced earlier, I finally saved enough to buy what I thought was one of the best cars in th world..

Now kinda at my wits end here, 3 months of getting th car ready, financially it is abso crippling (as I am sure many other M-B owners have painfully realized) to be saddled with such enormous cost ( $135,000 down n counting ) for vehicle that u shud practically never have repair!

If anybody can help, in giving their insights as to what might be going wrong, I would truly much appreciate it..

Thank you.

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RI
52,804 Posts

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
You wanted the best car in the world?

You were close, but no cigar.

Get a W140 S-Class! Then you will be driving the best Mercedes ever built, reliable like your old W124 aslong as it was cared for..

Sorry to hear about this, and thank you for sharing your story.. I will stay away from ALL 320 CDI engines, regardless of range. I generally don't like diesel engines for passenger vehicles, and this story convinced me even further!

My best advice is, repair the engine for as little possible (no more than $15 000) and resell the car at least break even on your costs incurred. Don't try to make a profit, just get your money back by selling the car in driving condition. You could list it for $155 000 selling it "as is"..Any other method will make you take a major financial loss on the entire deal.

All the best!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
W221 engine failure.

Dear Mafiadon ,
Thank you for your reply!
Yes, I agree, gotta cut my losses n sell off asap..In th process of refitting the engine, got the whole thing done again..luckily th pistons/sleeve/head were okay, so polished/balanced the crank & replaced the big ends only..
Do you have any idea as to why the big ends wud have seized this way?? or is there a issue with M-B bearings / big ends that u know of?
Any info from yr side wud b much appreciated :)
Thank you & best,
Samir

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RI
52,804 Posts
Ask to see the old big end shells, I think they put the wrong shells in. The bottom shell should be smooth and the top shell should have a large grove in the center of it. If they put smooth shells top and bottom then there would be a serious reduction in the oiling capability.

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
Great info eric!

My guess is that your particular car is "on if those" factory defects..

Mercedes Diesel engines are very touch and go, meaning some of them have constant issues from the first few thousand km's, while others manage to do well over 300 000km's without serious issues.. Its always a gamble, and a risky one at that..

Any particular reason why it has to be diesel? Why don't you get a petrol version of the W221? At least those drive mostly without any issues.

Glad to hear its all back together now, so sell it while its driving!

All the best

1 - 6 of 6 Posts