Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I have i W221 S320 2006 model. Around 6 months ago my sound and radio channels disappeared. After some reading in here i found out that it must have been the Harman/Kardon amplifier in the trunk.

I tried some basic fault search without luck, and found information about a company called Softelectronics that could repair these. Sent it to them, but got it in return with this answer: "Our technicians informed me that vital components have burned out and the PCB is beyond any repair."

Therefore i bought a refurbished one for 800 euro from Beckerautosound on eBay. Mounting the amplifier and its still not working. After contacting the seller i get this answer: "All units are repaired and tested before shipment. Yours was also put back on the bench before shipping to code it for use in Europe."

So now im sitting here with 2 amps and twice as confused. One company says the original is defective and when i buy another it still doesnt work. What is even more confusing is that the one i bought suddenly worked 1 time, but only one time. It has been sitting in the car in around 3 weeks.

Any clues or similar experiences? I have tried some most bypassing in the trunk, without luck.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,874 Posts
It is confusing, and if the PCB is indeed burned up in your original amp, I do not understand why it would work even one time. With the refurbished one not working either, it suggests that the problem is elsewhere. I suggest some professional troubleshooting of your syste,, with MB diagnostics, before you invest more in parts.

·
Registered
2001 210.082 +494, 2008 221.176 +494
154 Posts
Generally, if the Tuner/SOUND amplifier is faulty and not responding on the MOST network, some symptoms will be no sound at all from the speakers, and if FM/AM/WB (or MW in ECE) is selected, there will be no scale of stations to chose from, and any wavelength you select will also be absent fro displaying any frequencies. Other media may appear to play, but no sound is emitted from any source, including TEL.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is confusing, and if the PCB is indeed burned up in your original amp, I do not understand why it would work even one time. With the refurbished one not working either, it suggests that the problem is elsewhere. I suggest some professional troubleshooting of your syste,, with MB diagnostics, before you invest more in parts.
Hi! And thanks for answering! I maybe shpuld have explained clearer, but it is the new/refurbished amplifier that have worked 1 time, the old one is completely dead.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Generally, if the Tuner/SOUND amplifier is faulty and not responding on the MOST network, some symptoms will be no sound at all from the speakers, and if FM/AM/WB (or MW in ECE) is selected, there will be no scale of stations to chose from, and any wavelength you select will also be absent fro displaying any frequencies. Other media may appear to play, but no sound is emitted from any source, including TEL.
Hi! All symptoms you describe are the same as i have, excluding the AM/MW networks, i cant even choose them, but they are there. I cant change sound, bass, treble, balance, Logic7 on/off, etc. So everything points against the amplifier i guess...

·
Registered
2001 210.082 +494, 2008 221.176 +494
154 Posts
It is difficult to see the screenshots from a camera photo - any way you could take a screenshot (and possibly in English?) :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts