Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2003 S430
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!
I just fixed the non-functioning back up camera on my 07 S600. Now that its working Im a little disappointed in the quality, but I guess it makes sense since its a 2005 or 2006 production camera. A lot have happened in 13 years - Just think of the cameras in the phones back then! :)

Anyway, I looked up in the EPN and saw this;

It looks like the original camera has been superseeded twice, and my question is. - Does anyone know if the camera get higher picture quality in the later revisions?
And that they superseed eachother means that they should be interchangeable, right?

Best regards!

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 S430
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Or if they turn out to be the same quality. - Does anybody know of a higher quality swap-in camera that replaces the factory one, but still delivers picture through Command and the parking guidance unit?

·
Registered
1977 420-Unimog, 1981 G-240d, 1982 240D(swapped to OM617.951 300TD), 2007 E280 4matic, 2007 S550 amg
8 Posts
The MB star has no module updates for a rear camera system. To my knowledge, it's just two video wires to the "infotainment" computer / video box along with the power wire that goes into the main computer cluster located on the driver's side trunk area (once you remove the trunk mat and plastic). It should run up the leftside trunk door arm
I was able to get away with a regular series of radios / cameras / external GPS by coding out the system (or essentially making a modulator) using MBstar but I don't think it will detect OEM Mercedes cameras from aftermarket cameras.

The main issue I foresee is getting a camera to fit into the rear camera holder without paying for the premium Mercedes options (just because it's a Mercedes). But the wires should go directly into the main cluster computer without issue. Do you have an option right now for a camera that is as small as the one M-B gave you?

·
Registered
2003 S430
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Dermolotov!
Im not sure I understand you correctly;

The wires from the factory MB camera is spliced someway behind the trunk hinge when they go behind the drivers side trunk liner, and they end up in a multicable plug that goes in to the "park-assistance" control unit.
Im pretty sure these (i think 3 cables?) just provide the picture, and then the park-module creates the "guide-lines" on the picture that corresponds to steering wheel angle. (and these can be calibrated through STAR)

My question was actually just if the later 2 revisions of MB cameras were of "higher" quality or had better optics/resolution, since I can see that the number that I have 221 820 03 97, has been superseded twice.
IF that was the case, then I would just buy the newer part number camera, and splice the cables behind the boot lid liner.

I don't know of any 3rd party cameras that would fit the exact mounting hole in the trunk lid, but I also havent been looking. :)

Best regards!
Morten.

·
Registered
1977 420-Unimog, 1981 G-240d, 1982 240D(swapped to OM617.951 300TD), 2007 E280 4matic, 2007 S550 amg
8 Posts
Ah, my apologies. I thought you were asking if you could use other types of cameras which I was saying you could. I had to do that as I put an S550 and S600 together to make my vehicle since both vehicles were missing parts from another and it's always better to have a parts car.

As for little things around the vehicle like temperature sensors, cameras, parking sensors, etc, I've always really gone aftermarket to save the half the price on them without any loss to quality. I also mainly put up with my bad S550 rear parking camera so I'm not sure if the later gens have better quality. My E-class does have an aftermarket camera and it is similar in quality to the reverse camera system on my 2015 GLK350, but costs $100 instead of $600 (I don't get the reverse lines though but I don't think I've ever really used those before).

Were you looking to find the next gen up in reverse cameras straight from the dealership? From my repair experience, I tend not to find bumper parts other than the bumper from there as they're normally way too expensive.

·
Registered
2003 S430
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was just gonna snap a used on off eBay, if it turned out that they indeed were of better quality. And then they would be plug and play. :)
It would be fun to see a picture of the reverse camera on the Command from someone with a 2009 or 2012 W221?
Ill post one tomorrow, and then we can see if the picture quality did get better or not.

Best

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,897 Posts
Here is a shot of my '13. While it is usable, I'm not particularly impressed with the resolution. My wife's 2014 Lincoln provides a clearer image.

The blue boundary markings on mine do not work through the steering angle sensor, so they remain straight when you steer while in reverse - until you go to the "Park Assist" mode, where they will curve to indicate a course.

Those on my wife's car move with the steering wheel to show the projected path. Of course, that is a feature of the head unit, not the camera.

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 CLS500
30 Posts
I have an 07 and mine did not come with one. Any suggestions on a recommendation. A local shop here wanted 1000.00

·
Outstanding Contributor W221 Moderator
2010 E350 P1/P2, 2008 S550 Designo, 2002 ML320
1,829 Posts
For an all-in price that's not unreasonable, well maybe a bit high. The folks at Mid-City Engineering have a solution but it requires that your telematics software be updated to include the Video input.

I looked to see if anyone could verify the car was pre-wired for the backup camera, but did not find anything definitive. Apparently the Mid-City camera is better quality (hope so considering a decade of technology between the original and their current offering.)

·
Registered
2006 CLS500
30 Posts
For an all-in price that's not unreasonable, well maybe a bit high. The folks at Mid-City Engineering have a solution but it requires that your telematics software be updated to include the Video input.

I looked to see if anyone could verify the car was pre-wired for the backup camera, but did not find anything definitive. Apparently the Mid-City camera is better quality (hope so considering a decade of technology between the original and their current offering.)

I just talked to them 1200 plus tax

that seems insane to me

1 - 11 of 11 Posts