41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
W220 2003 Update S500L, W204 2008 C220 CDI
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
New Tyres Fitted

Hi All,
After a few months of driving the noisy front tyre returned so I bit the bullet and had a new set of tyres fitted. After careful consideration I chose Yokohama ADVAN dB Decibel V551 for the front and basically just replaced the rear with a new pair of Yokohama ADVAN Sport V103 tyres. The wheel alignment was slightly out on both front and rear and was easily brought back into specification.
I have not been disappointed with my choice. The Yokohama ADVAN dB Decibel V551 Tyres lived up to their reviews and are outstandingly quiet. I am very pleased with their noise performance and am prepared to recommend them to anyone seeking a smooth and ultra quiet ride. Other parameters such as wearability and their performance in the wet have not been ascertained as yet.
Just as a final check, I even measured the radial runout on one of my new tyres and also calibrated my speedometer.

Thanks BenzWorld members for all the help.
Brian
PS If you are interested in what I did and the results, I have updated my original document to version 3 and attached it here. (I cannot edit and remove version 2 at post #37 as it is too old.)
2014-06-08 Added in Version 3, radial runout and speedo test results for brand new Yokohama tyres.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
W220 2003 Update S500L, W204 2008 C220 CDI
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Luck was on my side

Since replacing the propeller shaft and installing new brake disks, wheel bearings and new low noise tyres, thus making the car extremely smooth and quiet, I have been plagued by a slight rattle which sounded to me as though it was being generated underneath the rear left side of the car.
During the removal of the boot/trunk lining for another project, I accidentally discovered that the handle of the jack was free to wobble slightly and was possibly the source of the noise. I secured it with some foam and tape and couldn't wait until I could go for a test drive. To my relief the annoying rattle has gone completely.
In trying to find the source of the noise I had belted the underside of the car with a rubber mallet to the point of almost damaging it, without any success. All it took was a bit of luck!
Now the car is quieter than my friends Rolls Royce! He can hear his clock ticking! My digital clock doesn't maker any noise. Bonus!
Regards,
Brian

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
11,210 Posts
Well, Brian - we're relieved to know the noise in the trunk wasn't your mother-in-law! :eek

Thanks again for a great contribution.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts