Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
W220 S320 CDI 2006
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, long time viewer of the forum, first time poster. I have actually posted because i am about to purchase my first mercedes:) The car i am buying is a 2001 model S320 Limo. The car has 95K mileage, and has just had a major service changing all the filters etc. The car is of a friend of mine so i know he is teling the truth.

What he has told me is that the car needs rear shockers.

I have a few questions which i thought people on here can help me with if possible.

I have read up on the 'What to look out for' thread on the w220 and i see the major issue being the airmatic.

I have tried to find on how to check this, however i cannot seem to find how to check this.

Do the shockers and airmatic come together? Im from the UK how much does one think this will set me back?

This is my main concern so any help would be appreciated please.

Thank you

·
Registered
2000 and 2003 W220 S500
930 Posts
+1 on the UK sites, but

Airmatic is a system consisting of a Pump, relay, lines, and struts.
I believe the shockers you mention are the struts and they do come as a stand alone unit, meaning that if your pump has gone bad, you don't have to replace your struts and vice versa. The struts are usually replaced as front or rear pairs, but you buy them as individual units.

Hope this helps and congrats on your purchase!

·
Registered
W220 S320 CDI 2006
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for your replies lads. so if he says the shockers need replacing, it doesnt necessarily mean that the airmatic is gone does it? can the shockers be changed on its own?

cheers

·
Registered
2000 S430 156k (11/12)
507 Posts
If your friend told you that the car needs the rear shockers (struts), they can be purchased individually as Gabby07621 mentioned.
I would ask your friend if some mechanic told him that after checking or does he think they are bad. There is a big difference.
I am not sure if they would ship to UK but give Arnott a shot, if the rears need replacing, they can be bought for around $350.00 each.

·
Registered
s320 white
68 Posts
uk here.

its known that its less chances for rear struts to go bad. probably depends on your mileage. you tell how the car behavior and guys will tell you if its a rear struts at all. maybe they are fine.

whats wrong with the car?

as maybe your rear tyres are too high :) and the car self leveling itself and lowering to your wheels and you want to exchange the struts now?
:) just tell us more.

·
Registered
W220 S320 CDI 2006
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well he has 19inch alloys on the car. I asked him last night and he sed the airmatics are fine, its just the shockers that need changing. His a quite close friend so i can trust him on that.

Will the alloys cause the shockers to wear out??

Thanks for all your help so far:)

·
Registered
s320 white
68 Posts
well he has 19inch alloys on the car. I asked him last night and he sed the airmatics are fine, its just the shockers that need changing. His a quite close friend so i can trust him on that.

Will the alloys cause the shockers to wear out??

Thanks for all your help so far:)
what tyre size?

i had wrong size tyres on a back, and car tried to push the rear down. I thought my rear shocks gone.

but they not bad ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts