Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone other than BenzWorld member wasimgehlen replaced any of the rear axle components on your S Class?

When I was getting my car ready to have the wheels realigned after replacing all the front axle/suspension components I noticed the rear tyres have gone through the steel belt in a 10mm strip on the inside edge. The rest of the tread is worn but not as bad as that. It is really weird.

My 12 month old Continental tyres are completely stuffed after 11,000Km (6,800 miles). I was worried when the Tyre Fitter set the rear toe-in to 9mm total as I could smell burning rubber when I drove home. I went back the next day and they reassured me it was perfect and within spec. I went back at 2,000Km and 5,000Km and the rear tyres seemed to be wearing evenly and they double checked that it was within spec.

Googling BW only gave me one real result, a post by BenzWorld member wasimgehlen, which tells me it is likely to be the Camber Strut (2). See his post at; http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/1659069-s500-w220-rear-wheel-alignment.html
W220 Rear Axle Components.jpg

If I replace the Torque Strut (3) (Radius Rod) as well, the issue is how to get to the inner bolt. It looks like you have to lower the whole rear end!

And having got it all to bits I should also replace the Thrust Arm (5), and the Track Rod (4)?

Oh well I have got nothing else to do.

Any advice much appreciated.

Regards,
Brian

W220 Moderator
Hi Brian,

Yes you can do these without removing Subframe, but tbh, I always remove them and change all arms at the same time :wink

It is easier that way ;)

HTH,

Cheers Dave

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Brian,

Yes you can do these without removing Subframe, but tbh, I always remove them ....

HTH,

Cheers Dave
Thanks Dave that is very helpful.
So you are saying it is possible to just release the bolts and only lower the rear sub frame enough to get the bolt out? Hopefully just using my trolley jack?
I note on the W124 Forum that some members have used a special jack to completely remove the rear end.
Brian

W220 Moderator
Hi Brian,

Yeah, if you don't have a Lift and Transmission Jack, then I'd agree with you, just use a Jack to lower the S/Frame enough to get the Bolts out :wink

Here's a tip, Get a set of 4 Bolts around 3" longer and remove 1 at a time, replacing with the longer ones, then when you lower the S/Frame it won't drop and will slip straight back up when done ;)

Using the Lift and Trans Jack, I can drop the Exhaust and have S/Frame out in an Hour these days but doing that job on the floor isn't so easy :grin

HTH,

Cheers Dave

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Dave I wouldn't have thought of using longer bolts. That's why I love this Forum.
Have a good one in the cold weather.
Brian from a still warm Oz

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
2 Participants
ricebubbles
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing