Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
First of..Yes you need to remove that plastic in red.

The top 2 cables you dont use. Just hide them in there. The third small one is the eighter the phone antenna or the GPS antenna.

That the Comand dont run by it seld on turning the key is because you have not conected the wake up signal to the right pin.

The CD-changer dont work because you have the pins in the wrong place. Needs to be moved to the right place and right conector.

When it comes to the TV it is the same thing.

I dont know for sure about the phone since there are so many different phone kits out there. Mine worked directly.

There is nothing you can do in Star Diag to make this work..Its all about pin location.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks Chris,

I really was liked very much new view but after it didnt work in many thing i switched to old comand back but tomorrow ill try one more time. Can you please let me know which pins i wiill move. Do you have any document about it ? It will be very helpful for me. I searched and found pinout document but i dont know is it for this or not.

Thank you

·
Registered
27 Posts
Allright, Lets clear it. I found somethings.

I provide the comand 2.5 pinout for others who will need this too.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi there - rather then move all of the pins in the existing loom, would it not be better to make a loom converter to do this for you and that way, it would be something that could be sold on to other members wanting to do this, plus, if you ever wanted to return to the old setup it would just be a case of unplugging the loom converter.

You guys make this work look so easy that it has tempted me to give it a go. The problem I have is that my 1999 s320 does not even have the basic Comand, it just has a radio cassette system the size of a single din unit. Would the process be the same for me - i.e. is the existing connector for mine the same as the basic comand which you have started with in this post, in which case I would need to move the pins in the same way?

Or, does the old radio cassette system have a different connector and pin set up. In which case would anyone know where I can find the details to complete the appropriate pin shift?

BLOCK - did you get yours working fully - any pics of the end result? Based on your experience would you be able to add to the steps outlined in this post. I know it sounds a little selfish, but, I am keen to learn from what other's have done to get their working.

Thanks in advance and what a great post!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Glassdome,

I will add here pics after results and yes, i will add the all steps. But The problem is Pins in different connectors if we take a look to pinouts. It confused me a little bit.

I mean , in comand 2.5 , connector D pins need to be moved to Connector 1. And I couldn't find cd changer power pin in comand 2.5 layout to add to C1 / 5-6.
Look here, Comand 2.0 Layout;
-----------------------------------------------------
Comand C1 connector
1 RGB-Video Red 5 CD Changer Ground
2 RGB-Video Green 6 CD Changer +12
3 RGB-Video Blue 7 RGB V-Sync
4 RGB-Video Gnd 8 RGB Shield

Comand C2 connector
2 TV-Audio Right 11 TV-Audio Left
3 TV-Audio Green 12 TV-Audio shield
4 Aux-Audio Right 13 Aux-Audio Left
5 Aux-Audio Ground 14 Aux-Audio Shield
6 Speed Signal 15 Reversing signal
7 CAN-B Shield 16 CAN-TV Shield
8 CAN-B LO 17 CAN-TV LO
9 CAN-B HI 18 CAN-TV HI
10 D2B Wakeup

---------------------------------------------------------------

Here Comand 2.5 Layout;
Comand 2.5 A connector
1 +12 V 5 +12v switched out to aerial
2 Ground 6 spare
3 Phone Mute 7 spare
4 +12 v 8 Ground

Comand C1 connector
1 TV Audio Shield 5 TV Audio Gnd
2 TV Audio Left 6 TV Audio right
3 spare 7 spare
4 spare 8 spare

Comand C2 connector
1 K diagnosis line 10 spare
2 To Plug E/21 11 CAN-B Shield
3 To Plug E/22 12 To Plug E/9
4 To Plug E/23 13 To Plug E/10
5 To Plug E/26 14 To Plug E/13
6 To Plug E/25 Shield 15 CAN-B L
7 D2B Wakeup 16 CAN-B H
8 spare 17 RB-CAN L (TV & E/3)
9 spare 18 RB-CAN H (TV & E/2)

Comand D connector (5 pin round)
1 TV Video Red 4 TV Video Sync
2 TV Video Green 5 TV Video Gnd/Shield
3 TV Video Blue

Comand E connector (Nav Unit)
1 Gnd 14 +12V
2 To C2/18 RB-CAN H 15 spare
3 To C2/17 RB-CAN L 16 spare
4 spare 17 spare
5 spare 18 spare
6 spare 19 To CTEL Wakeup
7 Speed Signal Left 20 Speed Signal Right
8 spare 21 To C2/2 (shield for 9,10,22,23)
9 To C2/12 22 To C2/3
10 To C2/13 23 To C2/4
11 spare 24 spare
12 spare 25 To C2/6 (shield for 13/26)
13 To C2/13 26 To C2/5

Look to Connector D of Comand 2.5 and look to Connector 1 of Comand 2.0
Except CD Changer Pin, connector D pins fits to C1. And Wheres cd changer pin ? I guess E connector / 14 "+12" is for cdchanger.

Oh , Someone really must help for this. Chris, how you did this all?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't think it canbus adapter will help for this. It says its for vehicles without can. Maybe its for your s class which is without comand. You will need that to pass Comand system.

I still couldn't understand what i will do with these a lot of pins. I will start to job after figure it on head.

·
Registered
63 Posts
You are right, though it may be worth you contacting the company and see if they do an adapter for 2.0 to 2.5 - may save a lot of headaches. I did read somewhere that the CD cable needs to be spliced and combined with another - I will take a look around and come back on that.

My particular set up is different in that I do not have Command at all. I have a 1999 s320 which only has a standard radio cassette and am looking to replace this with a Comand 2.0 system (or possibly a 2.5 if the 2.0 is too complex to complete). I have been researching this for a while, however, I still have some questions and just wanted to check with an expert that I have correctly understood what is required before I embark on purchasing the parts.

Firstly, I have a standard radio cassette like this one in the picture below.

I have the standard steering wheel controls which I would like the new comand to function with. I am not overly keen on the look of the Comand 2.5 and would prefer to opt for the Comand 2.0 (if the difference in units would not cause additional complications in fitting).

I understand from reading various posts and your great website outlining how to complete this, I would need the following:

• 1. New Comand 2.0 system MOPF also known as A220 and that any of these would work as long as it is pre-2003 (where the communication system changed)? E.g. European version: A220 827 14 42 (European version with no navigation); A220 827 04 42 (MY2002); A220 820 71 26 (from 1999); A220 820 58 89 (16x9 widescreen with DVD?); A220 820 48 89 (2000); A220 820 46 89 (from 1999); A220 820 40 89 (from 2001); A220 820 37 89 (from 2000); A220 820 34 89 (from 1999); A220 820 03 89 (from 1998 – 99)
  • 2. New facia surround
  • 3. Wiring adapter
  • 4. If sat nav was required – a gps and a speed sensor
The questions I have are:
  • 1. Where can I get a wiring adaptor that will allow me to simply plug into the existing wiring and connect a Command 2.0 (assuming that is possible). On ebay I found the following, but, it only appears to be the right adaptor for: W210, W163, W203, W202 and not W220: would this work, or could it be adapted, or do you know where I can get a ready made version for the W220?
  • 2. If I don't worry about Sat Nav, is it just a simple case of connecting the new command and that is it, or, will the unit require programming by Mercedes to use (e.g. for the 6 disc changer in the boot, or for the amp)
  • 3. Looking here, it seems all you need is the wiring harness, comand and facia. Is there anything else I should be allowing for?
  • 4. Is the Comand 2.0 going to cause problems and would it be safer to stick with the Comand 2.5?
  • 5. If I did want to use the sat nav, do I just need a GPS box (like this one on ebay:
  • 6. Or, do you have to have a speed sensor as well and, if so, how easy is this to fit? Or is it simply connecting the wiring loom to an existing wire?
  • 7. Video / audio input to the Comand 2.0 unit – eg. For external DVD input or Tuner input – would this cable suffice?
    • http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Video-Audio-input-Mercedes-Comand-2-0-TV-Tuner-OEM_W0QQitemZ110175202194QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMonitor_Caricatori_ed_Accessori?hash=item19a6f42b92#ht_500wt_956
    Maybe I am asking too many questions indicating that I don't really know this well enough to try it out - so an indication of the actual complexity of completing would be great. Thanks again for any responses.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Glassdome,

I will add here pics after results and yes, i will add the all steps. But The problem is Pins in different connectors if we take a look to pinouts. It confused me a little bit.

I mean , in comand 2.5 , connector D pins need to be moved to Connector 1. And I couldn't find cd changer power pin in comand 2.5 layout to add to C1 / 5-6.
Look here, Comand 2.0 Layout;
-----------------------------------------------------
Comand C1 connector
1 RGB-Video Red 5 CD Changer Ground
2 RGB-Video Green 6 CD Changer +12
3 RGB-Video Blue 7 RGB V-Sync
4 RGB-Video Gnd 8 RGB Shield

Comand C2 connector
2 TV-Audio Right 11 TV-Audio Left
3 TV-Audio Green 12 TV-Audio shield
4 Aux-Audio Right 13 Aux-Audio Left
5 Aux-Audio Ground 14 Aux-Audio Shield
6 Speed Signal 15 Reversing signal
7 CAN-B Shield 16 CAN-TV Shield
8 CAN-B LO 17 CAN-TV LO
9 CAN-B HI 18 CAN-TV HI
10 D2B Wakeup

---------------------------------------------------------------

Here Comand 2.5 Layout;
Comand 2.5 A connector
1 +12 V 5 +12v switched out to aerial
2 Ground 6 spare
3 Phone Mute 7 spare
4 +12 v 8 Ground

Comand C1 connector
1 TV Audio Shield 5 TV Audio Gnd
2 TV Audio Left 6 TV Audio right
3 spare 7 spare
4 spare 8 spare

Comand C2 connector
1 K diagnosis line 10 spare
2 To Plug E/21 11 CAN-B Shield
3 To Plug E/22 12 To Plug E/9
4 To Plug E/23 13 To Plug E/10
5 To Plug E/26 14 To Plug E/13
6 To Plug E/25 Shield 15 CAN-B L
7 D2B Wakeup 16 CAN-B H
8 spare 17 RB-CAN L (TV & E/3)
9 spare 18 RB-CAN H (TV & E/2)

Comand D connector (5 pin round)
1 TV Video Red 4 TV Video Sync
2 TV Video Green 5 TV Video Gnd/Shield
3 TV Video Blue

Comand E connector (Nav Unit)
1 Gnd 14 +12V
2 To C2/18 RB-CAN H 15 spare
3 To C2/17 RB-CAN L 16 spare
4 spare 17 spare
5 spare 18 spare
6 spare 19 To CTEL Wakeup
7 Speed Signal Left 20 Speed Signal Right
8 spare 21 To C2/2 (shield for 9,10,22,23)
9 To C2/12 22 To C2/3
10 To C2/13 23 To C2/4
11 spare 24 spare
12 spare 25 To C2/6 (shield for 13/26)
13 To C2/13 26 To C2/5

Look to Connector D of Comand 2.5 and look to Connector 1 of Comand 2.0
Except CD Changer Pin, connector D pins fits to C1. And Wheres cd changer pin ? I guess E connector / 14 "+12" is for cdchanger.

Oh , Someone really must help for this. Chris, how you did this all?
You dont need the cd changer power pin. It powers up anyway by wake up.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Allright, I am going to start job. I will update any news here. I will also take some pics. I hope i dont burn any system by pluging wrong pins.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
You are right, though it may be worth you contacting the company and see if they do an adapter for 2.0 to 2.5 - may save a lot of headaches. I did read somewhere that the CD cable needs to be spliced and combined with another - I will take a look around and come back on that.

My particular set up is different in that I do not have Command at all. I have a 1999 s320 which only has a standard radio cassette and am looking to replace this with a Comand 2.0 system (or possibly a 2.5 if the 2.0 is too complex to complete). I have been researching this for a while, however, I still have some questions and just wanted to check with an expert that I have correctly understood what is required before I embark on purchasing the parts.

Firstly, I have a standard radio cassette like this one in the picture below.

I have the standard steering wheel controls which I would like the new comand to function with. I am not overly keen on the look of the Comand 2.5 and would prefer to opt for the Comand 2.0 (if the difference in units would not cause additional complications in fitting).

I understand from reading various posts and your great website outlining how to complete this, I would need the following:

• 1. New Comand 2.0 system MOPF also known as A220 and that any of these would work as long as it is pre-2003 (where the communication system changed)? E.g. European version: A220 827 14 42 (European version with no navigation); A220 827 04 42 (MY2002); A220 820 71 26 (from 1999); A220 820 58 89 (16x9 widescreen with DVD?); A220 820 48 89 (2000); A220 820 46 89 (from 1999); A220 820 40 89 (from 2001); A220 820 37 89 (from 2000); A220 820 34 89 (from 1999); A220 820 03 89 (from 1998 – 99)
  • 2. New facia surround
  • 3. Wiring adapter
  • 4. If sat nav was required – a gps and a speed sensor
The questions I have are:
  • 1. Where can I get a wiring adaptor that will allow me to simply plug into the existing wiring and connect a Command 2.0 (assuming that is possible). On ebay I found the following, but, it only appears to be the right adaptor for: W210, W163, W203, W202 and not W220: would this work, or could it be adapted, or do you know where I can get a ready made version for the W220?
  • 2. If I don't worry about Sat Nav, is it just a simple case of connecting the new command and that is it, or, will the unit require programming by Mercedes to use (e.g. for the 6 disc changer in the boot, or for the amp)
  • 3. Looking here, it seems all you need is the wiring harness, comand and facia. Is there anything else I should be allowing for?
  • 4. Is the Comand 2.0 going to cause problems and would it be safer to stick with the Comand 2.5?
  • 5. If I did want to use the sat nav, do I just need a GPS box (like this one on ebay:
  • 6. Or, do you have to have a speed sensor as well and, if so, how easy is this to fit? Or is it simply connecting the wiring loom to an existing wire?
  • 7. Video / audio input to the Comand 2.0 unit – eg. For external DVD input or Tuner input – would this cable suffice?
    • http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Video-Audio-input-Mercedes-Comand-2-0-TV-Tuner-OEM_W0QQitemZ110175202194QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMonitor_Caricatori_ed_Accessori?hash=item19a6f42b92#ht_500wt_956
    Maybe I am asking too many questions indicating that I don't really know this well enough to try it out - so an indication of the actual complexity of completing would be great. Thanks again for any responses.

• You all make this sound harder than it is?? DONT!!! It is so easy..There is NO adapter out there and there will never be. You have to move the pins wich is so easy..Just pull it out with the help of a needle and put it in again till it clicks in the right place. For exapmple: If wake up is in C2 pin 7 on Comand 2.5 just move it to C2 pin 10. And so on. Then what conectors you have on a single casette player I dont know..But if you have a C2 conector it should not be a problem. Take a pic of your cables and I look at it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Cheers - you may have to wait a little while for the photo I am working away and using my wife's car - she is using the Merc and so it will be a week or two before I can take the exiting unit out to photo the wiring. I have had this out previously and it was straight forward enough to remove and put back.

Your help is really appreciated and I dropped you a PM on the unit.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Finally, I am back to home after retrofit job.

Just I still couldnt fix problem on CD Changer,Phone,Steering Wheel Control, TV on Comand, Wake up on Ignation.

But After change some pins, Tv sound left and right worked. For TV on front command, I need a can bus interface because the big cable which no place to fit on new comand 2.0, its of the TV Video and We don't have place to plug it and pins of it is different than other pins.

I think i need these;
1 x Can bus interface to plug TV cable
1 x Speed signal converter ( Chris said its for steering wheel control)

And I need find how to run CD Changer. We moved pin 7 to pin 10 for D2B Wakeup but it still doesn't run cd changer,phone and power command automatically.

Also The lights of buttons on command did not work. I got it when i turn back home in dark.

But New screen absolutely looks amazing.

21 - 40 of 174 Posts
About this Discussion
173 Replies
32 Participants
Skylaw
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing