Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Just wanted to share this great upgrade I did my self...Everything working.

So my next step I was thinking about is:

The W203 NTG1 comand with DVD has the exact same buttons on the front panel as the W220 but dont use MOST so I was thinking, would it not be possible to buy a W220 unit and a W203 unit and just swop the inside from the W203 unit to the W220 unit and there you have a DVD version in your old W220...??? What you think about that?

·
Registered
224 Posts
details?

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,839 Posts
I think wbrian63 may have meant details of your installation. I know it's not quite plug 'n play, because you need to install an audio gateway that the COMAND 2.5 had built-in, while the W220 COMAND APS 2.0 (COMAND MOPF) has the audio gateway separate.

It does look good!

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,839 Posts
That's why we'd like details of what you did. If you went from a, '00 through an early '03 W220 COMAND 2.5 to an '03 Facelift COMAND MOPF (which is also D2B), you would need the audio gateway (AGW) in the U.S. Since you didn't need it, perhaps you used a COMAND from a different model vehicle; one thing that is certain is that it would still have to be a D2B COMAND unit.

A bit more specificity would be helpful; what part number of COMAND did you use, to avoid the AGW? Was it Euro or U.S. spec? (Noting you are in Sweden, one would guess Euro spec). Was it plug 'n play? If not, what other mods (harnesses, speed sense wiring, etc) did you use? Where did you obtain your fascia, and did it fit into the old clips without modification?

It's a great looking installation that others may want to try. Your information could be very useful to them.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I offered to do this in my own W220 S55 thread but not one response on that...So didnt think there where any interest.

But then I try my best here and hope it helps...

First of..Yes I have a euro car and unit.

Get the 2 wood panels and the unit in used condition (very expensive new). Then the speed signal converter and a Comand 2.0 GPS antenna since the old one dont work with the new unit.

(I also got the matching AC panel with the small chrome rings and that is pure plug n play.)

Then you need to cut a little in the plastic holder since the old comand is a bit smaller. Easy thing to do.

Then it is almost plug n play..Some pins that have to be moved since they are located a bit differently in the conectors. You find pin location pics all over internet and just follow them. Then it all worked for me. Perfectly. CD-Changer, sound and all..Only thing I have not locked into is the TV module since its an Analog module and we dont have that here anymore. Only Digital TV.

That is actually how easy it is. I found all items used so it wasnt that expensive at all.

Please feel free to ask for more info or if I forgot anything if you like..Happy to help. ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
chris

Thats look great Chris. Appreciated.
I'm going to do same upgrade for my w220 /2002. It has Comand 2.5 old now. I have bought wrong device 2 weeks ago as Comand 2.0 APS for 03-05 s klasse- But Mercedes Dealer and And some audio vendors told me that its so hard to fit this - need many re-wiring full and extra items. so i decided sell it and buy the comand 2.0 mopf.

So I just bought the same one with yours Comand 2.0 MOPF.

As I read what you did- I will buy facelift panels and signal converter too - is that enough to upgrade ? No need any AGW or anything else more?

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
can you please comfirm the wirring configuration for this upgrade (diagram if possible) and also what the speed signal convertor does and why its needed
thanks

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It is very easy actually...Just look at a W210 comand diagram and move the cables from the original W220 possition to the W210 possition.

Speed signal converter is absolutelly neccesery to make the Navigation to work. It converts the old type on speed signal to the new type. If you dont do this it will not know that the cars moves. It also makes the "wake up" and display in the cluster to work.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I cant seem to find the command center to upgrade my 2001 s500 like you did. With this upgrade are you able to play dvd movies in the front and view on the front screen? I am in California and havent really looked very hard for a salvage yard but do you have an extra one you could ship?

Thanks
Nathan

·
Registered
27 Posts
hello
i have built this system. everything was ready except speed signal converter and gps antenna ( because i will not use navigation )

First we did like you said, all cables are ok. except 3 cables. There were no place to fit them on new comand.

I attached the photo to see which cables no place to fit for this new system. Also I marked trim area with red. Is it correct ? Without cut that plastic area, the navi would not going to fit inside panel.

Here problems;
FM / AM Worked good, Sound was great. TV is worked only in rear screen, black screen appeared on comand, No sound of TV, Phone system did not work "Tel Error" on comand screen, Got error " No CD Changer". Played cd only on comand. And As the last, When start the engine, comand is not going to run itself automatically.

I think, i need go to mercedes dealer to programming d2b by Star diagnosis. Then CD changer,phone and TV will work.

chris, please let me know whats these 3 cables and what i ll do.

Thank you

1 - 20 of 174 Posts
About this Discussion
173 Replies
32 Participants
Skylaw
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing