Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1972 280CE
4,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All, my 2005 Mercedes Benz S55 has developed a squeek as you go down the road which is driving me bonkers. I had the front end rebuilt last year with new tie rods, and upper and lower control arms. The only part left which has failed is the lower rear control arm where only the bushing was changed.

This was because I could not find lemforder parts and only lemforder bushings were available. In this case, the noise is coming from the ball joint that mounts the strut. I sprayed some silicone in there for now to make it quite but would like to know if there are other quality parts available.

The options available through my wholesaler are:

Viaco
Suspensia Chassis
Moog
Centric

I've bought centric rebuilt calipers and have not had problems and I have used MOOG which has a good reputation on my trucks. I have no idea if they're repackaging some other parts for Euro cars as they are not in this market.

Given that Lemforder is not available, has anyone had experience with the others.

Also can anyone confirm the correct part as 2153300707 and that it applies for both sides.

Thanks

·
Registered
2007 E220CDI, 1990 300E-24V, 1987 W124 3.6 AMG build 1993 E500 W124, 94 320CE, 1997 W140 S280
1,311 Posts
Viaco is generally very poor quality and cheap Chinatown.

Moog do make their own parts and any of their parts I have had over the years have been decent quality.

So from your list if it were me I would only consider the Moog parts. None of the others at all.

·
Registered
2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
4,341 Posts
That depends on which Moog parts. If we're talking about the Problem Solver line, denoted by the part # starting with either "CK" or "K", then I agree with @JC220; those parts are very good. However, if they're not the Problem Solver line, i. e. if they're the cheap stuff--denoted by the part # starting with "RK", then it's Chinesium or similar and thus to be avoided.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Waitasec...this is the rear lower control arm, right? I just checked my S600, along with the ABC struts (yep, still got 'em). The rears don't sit on a ball joint; they bolt into the lower control arm, same as the AIRmatic ones do.

Are you talking about the front suspension or the rear suspension here?

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Ah, OK, I follow you now. In that case, you might consider using the Lemfoerder AIRMatic lower control arms. That's exactly what I'm using in my S600, and yes, they fit very nicely. The angle of the strut will be just slightly different, but my car handles just fine. Of course, I'm also using coilovers and thus an anti-sway bar.

The other option is to go Genuine-MB, which is going to be big bucks.

·
Registered
2005 S600
479 Posts
The rear lower control arms of the front suspension are identical left and right. Same part number for either side. The balljoint on which the strut sits is not replaceable.

At 102,000 miles, my S600 failed state safety inspection for that ball joint on the right side.

I searched for a viable alternative supplier, for that lower control arm, but without luck.

Because of the miles on the car, I rebuilt the front end. Genuine Mercedes for the lower control arms. $385 ea. from my dealer, who gives me a break on cost. Lemforder for the torque arms, ball joints, upper control arms, and an inner/outer tie rod kit. Total parts cost was about $1,650.

The rebuild made a profound difference. The car is tighter, smoother and more responsive.

I‘m pleased with the results. I don’t regret using good parts. If there were a good alternative, like Lemforder, I would’ve used them. But the rebuild was a lot of work, no way I was going to be taking a chance with lousy parts.

·
Registered
2005 S600
479 Posts
Dry graphite spray lube might work just fine
Not sure how that would help a clunking/loose/worn out ball joint, which is what I had...

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Agreed, if that ball joint is loose. That'll just make it a well-lubricated, but still loose, ball joint, won't it? I mean, once it's loose, that's is for that joint, right?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts