Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
You are right. They are the only aftermarket company making auto leveling headlights. No arguments there. Would have loved to have them on the new style lights, but as it stands. Not needed.

Here are a few pictures I took just a little while ago. No need for auto leveling as they do not blind drivers. They come set like this.
View attachment 2603727

View attachment 2603728

And here is @cowboyt 's lights for comparison.
Also remember, that pic is before I replaced the projectors with the Morimoto E46-R's. The pics for the project 2000 S500, i. e. the modded Depos, would be a better comparison.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Also remember, that pic is before I replaced the projectors with the Morimoto E46-R's. The pics for the project 2000 S500, i. e. the modded Depos, would be a better comparison.
Also remember, I was going by what you linked me too...

I also do not disagree that this is an excellent option for the old style lights, but for those that want a more modern look...That's a different story. (That is just my opinion)

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Check out the entire thread, and you'll see the S500's pics as well, with the modded DEPO's. You'll also see the S600's, the E320 CDI's, and even a Honda Civic's.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
@cowboyt Many thanks for the projector information! (y)

I've been thinking about what a designated LED projector would do compared to those Halogen projectors, but as you say, they look pretty damn good! And I cannot see they could do any mischief to fellow road-users!
I also agree to @johnksss they add modern look and still fit the old W220! (y)

BUT, looking threw @cowboyt HID-mod-thread again, I came by an opinion I haven't been thinking of, -how close to the car they light up the road!!...
This might be a real bummer! and actually completely useless in desolated areas if its too bad! You loose too much night vision being blinded from you own light making it impossible to keep safe without lowering your speed quite much! Not to talk about how bloody tired your eyes get!... :(

As also said in that thread, in city situation or else at roads that is illuminated it is just fine! -and actually much better imho! But not on the country road!

Here it is actually forbidden to drive with both low beam and fog lights on! -many times with good reason!

Another story is when it is raining! or what is much worse, and could force you to actually just stop, is snow!!... -That could be completely undoable to drive in if you cannot dim your lights enough!
-Not to talk about thick fog!.. (But if it is thick enough, that could be totally impossible to see in what ever lights you try...) :p
(On one of my work vans I did put extra lights on the roof, and that did actually work quite good even with heavy snow!) (-look at trailers...)

In that thread this came out to be the actual situation with those DEPO lights. -Suddenly making them much less interesting!... And looking @johnksss pictures again I am afraid they also seem to be really bright all up to the bumper!... But those pics are all with 50W LED bulbs, so how would you judge those with weaker LED's? -Or maybe with lower Kelvin?
And even more interesting, how do the projector spread Halogen bulbs, as they are ment for?

Thank you!
/Orre

·
Registered
373 Posts
Check out the entire thread, and you'll see the S500's pics as well, with the modded DEPO's. You'll also see the S600's, the E320 CDI's, and even a Honda Civic's.
Well that was interesting. Picked up on quite a few things in there. Also I will go retake pictures much closer than the 30 to 60 yards I was doing. 12 meters is like 13 yards, which I do have one picture close to that. The one with the lights on the wall in the alley up close.

@Orre Should you decide to get these, they do come with "higher" end halogen bulbs to start with, so maybe that will be bright enough for you at no extra cost.
Looking at this video, you sure you even need new lights? :D

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
"Here it is actually forbidden to drive with both low beam and fog lights on! -many times with good reason! "

Opposite situation here - fogs are allowed with low beams only. In fact, the S430 does that automatically, turning the front fog lights off when you go to high beams. The feeling here is that high beams put so much light up high that the fog bounces it back at you, making vision much worse in heavy fog.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
"Here it is actually forbidden to drive with both low beam and fog lights on! -many times with good reason! "

Opposite situation here - fogs are allowed with low beams only. In fact, the S430 does that automatically, turning the front fog lights off when you go to high beams. The feeling here is that high beams put so much light up high that the fog bounces it back at you, making vision much worse in heavy fog.
Yes you are absolutely right! And what I tried to conceive above.. -That's why I am concerned about headlights having a too low pattern!

I should have been writing "forbidden with low AND high beam"! (The only exception for high beam is very slow kurve-driving 10-20 km/h. I guess because there are some curve-lights that comes into the game)
Foglights/curvelights are allowed as DRL though. (But then solo)

As for car settings, we have got used to having DRL auto ON with ignition for many years now, so seldom even remember about that light knob... :p
I.e. it is not wishful having to turn on lights manually!... Don't think I have ever even used those foglights in my S400 (that should have the same setup as S430 AFAIK)

FYI. Lately it is no longer mandatory with rear lights on together with DRL. (something I cannot understand, as it makes a dark rear end nearly invisible in a crowd with rear lights on!) :(
New cars make use of auto on by light recognition though, but otherwise it is a big PITA with all hundreds of tunnels her!...

@johnksss Ha ha ha... That's actually here in No-way. Can't be many meters... Haven't seen it though.
Yes maybe you are right. Led bulbs is to find everywhere. Just don't know how to find out about quality and light pattern...
Btw. I suppose it should be H11b when used as driving light!?

61 - 67 of 67 Posts