Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

W220 Moderator
Don't forget you can easily Version Code the Front SAM Unit's for Xenon with SDS, that's how the Factory did it as they offered both Halogen and Xenon.

Any of you with LED's finding the lamps flash on and off, or getting Bulb Failure Dash Message issues ??

A while back that was a big issue with aftermarket LED's, even the ones that were "CAN Bus friendly" were not "MB SAM friendly"

HTH,

Registered
Discussion Starter #23
@cowboyt Thanks for the comprehensive posts and links!

As for auto-levelling a believe the limit here is 2000 lum./light. (So the Teslas does come with 25W xenon bulbs instead of 35W) o_O
Also driving light should not exceed 0,7 lux @ 1,1m. height 25m. in front of car...

@johnksss Of course auto-leveling has nothing to do with not being able to set the height manually, it is to make sure settings doesn't change! -mostly when loading the rear of the vehicle...

As for the rules I am totally happy with your approach though! I believe I would be all clear as long as the lights are E-marked (ECE) I am not certain a DOT label would do the trick though... That makes it quite obvious the light is not approved with the vehicle... :rolleyes:
Driving along the road shouldn't be any problem as long as you have your lights set correctly. It is the "mandatory roadworthiness test" every two years I am concerned about...

Your pictures is really impressive @johnksss! Is this the LED strip ones, or do I misunderstand you? And the pictures with Depo is with the same LED bulbs on the left and old HID at the right side, right?
Your prices from Spec'd isn't to bad either! -But they doesn't seem to have any web-shop? Seems you have to manually order by email?

Also there is something strange here, as the same (or at least lookalike) lights costs twice as much from AliExpress!? -Also Ali shops put on another $200 for freight!? Most things tend to be freight free from China!?

@Dave2302 Yes I have been thinking the same. Good point!(y) -Still not to keen about HID though... Had that in my W211 and wasn't impressed at all.
But does HID and LED projectors differ? I mean, could I install a HID headlight setup with LED bulbs, and by that have the auto-level function working? Or would the result be just flickering?
What is the difference in HID and not HID headlights except the auto-level function? Is this the bolt pattern @cowboyt is talking about?

The LED technology is really exciting! The commercial you shared @johnksss is really impressive!!:cool:(y)

/Orre

W220 Moderator
Not HID Lights are Halogen Lights, you are basically telling the SAM what Wattage it's Electronic Fuse should see ............ HID = 35W Halogen = 55W

HID and LED Projectors have to be different, the Focal Length of the Bulb is vastly different ;)

HTH,

Registered
In the United States, auto-leveling is not required. That's why we can get away with retrofitting HID's on halogen-equipped cars, so long as we aim the headlights properly (this can be done manually on W220's quite easily).

@johnksss's LED's look about as bright as my modified Depos, and considerably brighter than either halogens or the stock Depos. He clearly aimed his properly, and that's what you've got to do. That looks really good.

Registered
Discussion Starter #26
Not HID Lights are Halogen Lights, you are basically telling the SAM what Wattage it's Electronic Fuse should see ............ HID = 35W Halogen = 55W
HID and LED Projectors have to be different, the Focal Length of the Bulb is vastly different ;)
Ok... :whistle:
So fitting the 35W LED that @johnksss talk about you should change to "Xenon present" setting then?
I am reading that the Airmatic (witch I have) is considered good enough for leveling Halogen lights, but the bi-Xenon versions does use auto-leveling headlights in addition. (And that ABC versions doesn't have auto-level headlight function at all) So I understand this is just a matter of light housing equipment then, and not by setting.
(I don't understand the sentence "Not HID Lights are Halogen Lights" though? I have been using "HID" a bit sloppy, but what I know the only HID's used in headlights is Xenon bulbs?)

Thinking about it, a major problem with LED has been short range, and I believe projector lens hasn't been in favour?... Or is this changing with newer LED bulbs?

Or would chasing the best possible light, be something like that Depo headlights with auto-level function, and with a LED bulb in the reflector and a halogen bulb in the projector? (Or is it two projectors?)
-I guess Xenon is out of the question for high beam due to ignition time?..

@johnksss As you have experimented with both type of headlights. I can clearly see how bright those 50W. LEDs are at short distance, but what about range?

/Orre

Registered
At least in the USA, the marketing weasels and scammers use "Xenon" indiscriminately for HID and for halogen bulbs that contain a touch of xenon gas. Don't depend upon bulbs described as "Xenon" actually being HID.

Registered
Discussion Starter #28
At least in the USA, the marketing weasels and scammers use "Xenon" indiscriminately for HID and for halogen bulbs that contain a touch of xenon gas. Don't depend upon bulbs described as "Xenon" actually being HID.
Ok. that figures... Don't need a ballast then... :p

W220 Moderator
Hi,

Ballast and Ignitor is in the MB HID's , so yes if using aftermarket lamps you do need Ballast and Ignitor, like I did when I fitted Clear Depo H4's that I converted to H4 HID Bulbs, I actually used the Ballasts and Ignitors out of the old Pre Facelift HID's and made up my own Wiring for them, more reliable than Chinese I'd imagine ........................
I've since swapped those Depo's for Genuine MB Post Facelift Bi Xenons as I bagged a mint set really cheap 馃榿

HTH,

Registered
Discussion Starter #30
Of course.
But a bulb with filament that a "marketing weasel" CALL a Xenon wouldn't... :p

-So yo sell me your old Depo's then Dave? :D

Registered
@Dave2302
I use to have problems with all the parking lights when I would first cut on the car, but after I switched the two front marker lights back to stock. No more problems.

@Orre
In the link it shows you can set them manually. I didn't do anything but put them in the headlight housing and turnt them on to make sure they were not going to be blinding folks. And that's when I realized they were capped on the top half. and they shot where I wanted them to shoot with the style of driving I do.

You should also be able to ask about what aftermarket lights you can actually run in Norway. Else all this could be a moot point... And you would need Depo or factory with better bulbs.

Thanks. Yes it's the LED Headlights that I sent a link too.

The color test pictures are after me having the car for 1 month and I just could not stand that yellow tint that halogen bulbs have. In the picture they look bright, but you really couldn't see the road that well and they flat at looked ugly! (Lighting) So the left is brand new from dealer and the right is me adding HID to the "Suspect Depo" headlight housing. That was in 2014.

The pictures i took last night are with the Spec'd headlight housing. Just the low beams. But turn on the fogs and it gets even brighter. High beams you will blind some on though as they shoot pretty far down the road.

Found that when I was researching new lights. Almost makes me wish I had a new car.:)

@cowboyt
I was also under the impression that the projection style housing HID not only auto level, but i thought they also moved left and right with turning. Is this true or false? That would have been the main reason for me wanting them.

Also I was lucky. No aming needed as they were basically set right for my driving style. In my LS400 with Halogen Housing. It was a nightmare!!!

What range are your lights and what is the luminus rating?

@Orre
I'll take some more tonight when i'm out and about.

I loved my aftermarket HID's, but these seem way easier to work with. And one doesn't have to remove the headlights to install them.

Registered
Discussion Starter #32
Thanks @johnksss!
My bad. I see now that Depo pictures is with HID setup...

I like those black Spec-D headlamps more and more! :cool: Found them at eBay for as little as $270. And they are marked "DOT SAE HR15PF" which would make them go threw control here to! (y) (At least with Halogen bulbs) :p

I do understand you find them to give good range, even though there might be shorter range with a LED bulb in a projector? Or is it not?...
You know we have long dark winters up here by the reindeers and polar-bears... -not like California even for a minute!!... :cry:

I have a few questions about them though:
What about the "always on" setting. Does it trigger the low beam?
I guess the neon hose is connected as parking light? And this turns on with ignition?
What about fog light? In my car this is integrated with the headlights!...

Also wondering how important the LED bulb brand might be? (It's H1 and H11 right?)
-As shipping from the states could be a long lasting pita, I would really prefer to shop all parts from the same place!

/Orre

W220 Moderator
-So yo sell me your old Depo's then Dave?
Old lol, they have seen about 50 miles. They are LHD units, sold to me by a lying seller who then disappeared :(
I was going to convert them to RHD but then the Bi-Xe's came up, mint condition and RHD so I bought them.

Make me a decent offer and then if I accept it will be plus p+p on top, I'd have to wrap them and get a quote for that ;)

I will include MB Ballasts / Ignitors and the correct Wiring plugs from pre facelift Xenons, but you will have to make up the little looms and mount them in little plastic boxes under the headlamps, because the set that were on my W220 and already done in those plastic boxes are now going on my R170's Clear H4 Projector Lamps.
Mine do have plug and play Levelling Motors, and I'll leave the 5000k HID Bulbs in them. I had no errors on Dash.

Registered
Discussion Starter #35
@Dave2302 Ok sorry. You mentioned conversion so I was thinking they were halogen ones. That setup wasn't quite in the range I was looking for... But thank you for the opportunity! ;)

@tusabes Yes there probably is... But having no knowledge about it, what should a man look for to avoid paying $100 for $20 worth? :rolleyes:
Also, in this matters, there are usually a consideration about how much more you get for your money vs expectations, needs, and life span. I.o.w. If you can buy 10pcs. $20 items in the life span of 1pcs. $100, it still might be quite a usable trade!... ;) (otherwise we hadn't discussed those headlights at all had we?...) :p

But again, what do you think about LED bulbs and range? And what about projector vs reflector with those bulbs?
Are there any gain in using projector with Halogen except for looks? (Yes I still think those black Spec'd looks cool) :cool:

Thank you for all inputs so far! And please come with suggestions ant thoughts about looks and colour!(y) ;)

/Orre

Registered
Thanks @johnksss!
My bad. I see now that Depo pictures is with HID setup...

I like those black Spec-D headlamps more and more! :cool: Found them at eBay for as little as $270. And they are marked "DOT SAE HR15PF" which would make them go threw control here to! (y) (At least with Halogen bulbs) :p

I do understand you find them to give good range, even though there might be shorter range with a LED bulb in a projector? Or is it not?...
You know we have long dark winters up here by the reindeers and polar-bears... -not like California even for a minute!!... :cry:

I have a few questions about them though:
What about the "always on" setting. Does it trigger the low beam?
I guess the neon hose is connected as parking light? And this turns on with ignition?
What about fog light? In my car this is integrated with the headlights!...

Also wondering how important the LED bulb brand might be? (It's H1 and H11 right?)
-As shipping from the states could be a long lasting pita, I would really prefer to shop all parts from the same place!

/Orre
Nice. Most should have got them from them at warehouse prices while general public pays more.
I'm thinking you should be fine as quite a few new cars are running LED lighting over Halogen. This was the main reason we were able to tell when the police were behind you coming up fast, but now with LED's, they can now run these in Police cars and they look like every other new car flying down the freeway. Instant ticket!

They give a decent range in a projector style housing, without being full fledged projectors. I personally classify them differently. (As I understand true projectors to have movement - imho)

Now the interesting part.
Always on is different on the pre facelift cars as the normal lights are on.(including low beam)
The low and high beam are the same outside lights.
The inside lights are the foglights.
The LED strips are the parking and running lights, while the the tops are the turn signals and flashers.
Turning the switch to position 2 will give the daytime running effect, but you will have rear lights on as well. If you pull on position 2 you get the fogs added and not the low beams.

Now, this is why you want the bulbs. When you first get your set (should you buy) they will come plug and play ready to operate. This will make a lot of sense as to what I have been saying about how yellow halogen bulbs look. And they are using whiter ones than factory. For hyper white they need to be 6K. So this totally took away from the overall look of the new lights. Needless to say that lasted all of 2 minutes and in went the HID. (2014) (Totally up to the look you want when coming down the street along with actually seeing the street)

You could get some cheaper ones from Amazon as they seem to be around 40 bucks and up. And that is correct. H1/H11

Just run the stock setup till your lights come in, then make the switch.

Edit:
Reflectors could potentially shoot light all over the place. This is what my LS400 did. I had to get special HID's that had lids on them to keep them from blinding oncoming traffic.

Registered
Here go some pictures from tonight.

10 parking paces worth of length. Low beams

10 parking paces worth of length. High beams

Darker part of parking lot. Low beams

High beams

Auto Daytime running lights.

Parking with flashers on.

Flashers

Normal parking, but can be turned on for DLR

Low Beam + fogs

Parking + fogs

Registered
Reverse Lights. LED's Can't tell in picture but they are pure white and very bright.

Reverse lights with running lights and licence plate. LED's

I did pull up on another Benz tonight who had HID's and they were as @cowboyt stated. They did not look yellow, but the housing were a total washout, but you could see that very faint purplish tint on the light shining brightly through the fogged over lenses.

These clearly show a minimum of 8 plus double car garages in a row. Which is plenty of road to see. So I gotta say I am happy...They still need to last at least a year with no problems. :D

W220 Moderator
Ok sorry. You mentioned conversion so I was thinking they were halogen ones. That setup wasn't quite in the range I was looking for... But thank you for the opportunity! ;)
Hi @Orre

They were originally H7 Halogens, I can put Halogen H7 Bulbs back in them in 30 seconds, no internal mods were made, I just swapped the H7 Halogen Bulbs for H7 Based HID Xenon's, all the Electronics I was referring to were mounted and wired externally ;) Obviously if you want H4 Halogen, you do not require all the other stuff.

Genuine Depo's same as these, the ones I have are Left Hand Drive

These :- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCHEINWERFER-H7-H7-H7-LINKS-RECHTS-SATZ-SET-FUR-MERCEDES-S-KLASSE-W220-LIMO/292545747184?hash=item441d15d8f0:g:mcwAAOSwVARdeZcI

I will take 拢300 for them

Anyway, you know where they are if you want them ;)

Registered
Discussion Starter #40
Thanks @Dave2302! I'll definitely have them in mind! :y:

@johnksss! Wow! Thank you very much for your effort with pics and all! :cool: (y)
I was thinking H11 has only 1 filament... Thank you for clearing that up! ;)
Yes I think those lights are the coolest! And certainly not the most expensive either!
For range 10 parking-lots isn't gone do much up here in the wilderness though! :ROFLMAO: But I can see they are really bright! 55W is probably the way to go! (y)
I assume yours are the 6000K ones? And H11b?

21 - 40 of 67 Posts
About this Discussion
66 Replies
7 Participants
Orre
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing