Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry if I could have found this info somewhere else at the forum... But I have only found dead links, old posts, and posts with pictures not working...
(The link at the encyclopedia is not working btw)

Need new headlights for my 2001 W220 with oem halogen lamps fitted.
Thought I would check with the community for recommendations, and what to avoid.
Cheep is good! Plug and play is good! (y)

Also of course interested in your pictures and taste! ;) Chrome? Black? Tinted glass? Led strips?.......
My car is "Obsedian Black" and I need always on driving lights here in Norway. -I think the LED strips I see at newer cars to fulfil this, can look kind of cool... :cool:

Please give me your thoughts!
Thanks!
/Orre

Ps. Forgot to mention E-mark, as we have to get an approval every second year...

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have LED headlights now and love them. Still waiting to see if they turn yellow over time. Had them in for about 3 to 4 months now.

And yes they are plug and play. I put these in to replace my aftermarket HID setup as they kept turn yellow over a very short period of time.

·
Registered
8,424 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Do you want to change just the bulbs or the whole housing to more modern style ?

DEPO makes the best replacement updated housing much better than the eBay ones
Had two sets of those and they both turned yellow. What do you guys do to keep them from doing that?

@Orre
Here is what I did for mine. I posted this in another forum.

FYI
Just letting you guys know that I have had these lights since the early 2014. I just replaced them after 4 years due to all the rock hits these things take over time.
I use to run the HID, but that is old news now. The new lights are plug and play and look better than my HID's.(My HID's would always start to change to a yellow color over time. Very annoying! And I would have to rma them) They come in 35W/50W which is a bit bigger. I'm running 4 50W bulbs from DDM Tuning here in California.
If you use the 35W bulb then you can put your factory covers back on for the headlights.
Also high beams work.
All plug and play.
https://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Saber-50W-H11-LED-PR
https://www.ddmtuning.com/Product-Categories/LED-Bulbs-Accessories/HeadlightsFoglights/Saber-35W-Pro-Fit-LED-Kit
https://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Silicone-Dust-Cover

·
Registered
363 Posts
yep im sure they were buying the $180 Ebay Fakes
At least the first set of these lasted 4 years and the only thing that happened was they had way to many rock chips in them. And they out lasted 7 sets of hid bulbs and never turned yellow. Like how even the factories ones do.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Some of the fakes can be OK. Some aren't. That's always the question with Chinesium.

I run Depo headlight assemblies on three of my W220's (maybe soon to be four), and not only don't the bulbs turn yellow, but neither do the lens covers. If anything, with age an HID bulb should turn slightly bluer. The stock Depo H7-rebased HID bulbs stayed blue for over two years. Today, I use Osram and Jahn bulbs, the OEM's for M-B, BMW, and Porsche. They're good, and they're bright. I use them with retrofitted Morimoto E46 bi-xenon projectors. Terrific results.

Since the OP wishes to use LED's, Morimoto does make projector LED's as well. I'd give 'em a call and ask them if they make an E46-bolt-pattern version.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Interesting... Here is a picture of mine.I had the car for a month and I could not stand these ugly colored lights. Now mind you the lense is still 100% clear. These were HID kits being installed. Possibly aftermarket kits weren't up to par, but I did have 2 to 3 year warranties at the time, so that was nice.

This car didn't have factory HID's in it, so no working projectors. Would love to see how you worked all that out for your car though. And how well do the projectors work?

As to the OP, he had asked about LED's and the links I provided are LED's with no modding or changing of anything. Direct fit.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,424 Posts
We aRe taking about two completely different things , I am talking about the headlights themselves , you are talking about the bulbs /hid kits inside of them

·
Registered
363 Posts
We aRe taking about two completely different things , I am talking about the headlights themselves , you are talking about the bulbs /hid kits inside of them
The picture was the headlight...

Edit:
The bulbs and kits are what make the headlights actually look better.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for your replies guys!(y)

@tusabes Yes I want to replace the whole housing!
One lamp was full of condense after washing the other day, so I might as well upgrade to a more modern clear glass look!
Otherwise this cars design is quite "timeless". So why not give it a facelift! :)
(Yes I know I can re-seal and polish...) :p

Why I said LED is just because the car isn't equipped with Xenon, and it just seems a bit retrospective to rebuild to HID these days...
Also had hopes there would be some usable China plug&play LED products for small money that doesn't mess up the CAN bus?...
I have also seen quite disappointed people getting China toys not lasting more then two months though, so I thought this community was the right place to ask! :)

I can see "Depon" is used as a "quality stamp" as well as a brand. And when I find lookalikes stamped Depon for like $450,- here in Norway (where everything usually is many times the price) I am not convinced about the quality of their products... :p
I find the look to be winning though! -Just thinking you might get a LED-strip DRL look for the same money?...
Also, how could anyone know about quality when factories and resellers using a brand name like this?...

@johnksss Yes I have been looking into H7 to LED bulbs, but those massive cooler-ribs that does not fit behind dust cover kind of put me off...
I am happy to see there is alternatives coming up! (y)
Also been looking at those headlamps with DRL and turn lights running on top. -I like that! :cool: Even though I am not to certain I like the shape of the beams... :rolleyes:
I am getting convinced black "reflectors" is looking cool for a black car though! :cool:

Seems like I cannot find anything cheap though? -even at AliExpress?...
I mean, gambling for China products at prices close to $1K is way off limit for me!... :eek:
I think $400 plus plus... is expensive enough when you do not know what you get!...

@johnksss Do you have a link for those "LED on top" lamps of yours that you can vouch for?

/Orre

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@cowboyt Thank you too for input!
Could you please link me to where you buy all your trusted Depo lights?
I believe you too would prefer to stay with Halogen, or some replacement LED bulb at a car that is NOT set up for HID? Or is it something I miss?... :p

·
Registered
363 Posts
@Orre
The 35W ones fit with original dust cover. I wanted brighter than HID so went with 50W. (Those ribs are the heat sink and fan) These are also instant on lights. None of that waiting for them to warm up. Flickering off and on stuff.

As to the headlights, I bought them from Spec'd here in California. You can find them on Ebay or Amazon, but I think Spec'd ships worldwide so you should be able to buy from them.
The total cost for the project was something like $320 for the headlights and $190 for the 4 50W LED lights.

Here is the Depo Headlights. You could convert to them, but would need to program your car for them.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Actually, I bought the Depo lights because I wanted to upgrade from halogen. At the time, the LED projectors weren't yet very good, and HID's did outperform them. That may well no longer be the case; I've been hearing, and seeing, some good things out of the more recent LED projectors. Tesla uses LED projectors, I believe, and Honda has used LED's for some time now, especially in what we over here call the "Acura" models. Remember, the LED projector must have an E46 bolt-pattern.

If, on the other hand, Norway does not require the auto-leveling feature, then johnksss's option looks like it could be a good one.

The company I buy from is Unique Style Racing, http://www.uniquestyleracings.com, and they are a USA importer for Depo. Note that the headlight assemblies themselves are made in Taiwan, not Red China. Red China = sketchy quality, but Taiwan has come a long way in quality over the last 10 years. Since you're in Norway, does your country have laws about auto-leveling when anything besides halogen lights are used? I know that there are laws in other European countries to that effect, and if so, then the Depos are your best bet, as they do have the auto-leveling feature.

I did retrofit the single-xenons in the Depos with this HID projector.

This company is called The Retrofit Source, another USA importer of projectors. If there's an equivalent dealer in Europe, this would be a fine choice.

Here is a thread showing the unmodified Depos in action.

And here are pictures of the results of a few HID-projector conversions that I've done, including a pair of modified Depos (I wanted to see how good I could make them).

·
Registered
363 Posts
@cowboyt Thanks for the links. I'll check them out when I get back.

I'll check mine out later tonight, but either the headlight assembly or the LED's them self do not blind oncoming traffic. They cut off just under a standard size car's trunk lid.

And you are totally right. I just watch a video on the new LED tech for the new cars and man oh man! And it's not just Tesla. And the way they work now. Who needs projection. LOL

·
Registered
8,424 Posts
DEPO are the only aftermarket brand that do auto leveling .

So If that is a requirement in your country , don’t even think about Ali express or Spec-D .

Original Mercedes parts or DEPO are the only ones with auto leveling

·
Registered
363 Posts
You are right. They are the only aftermarket company making auto leveling headlights. No arguments there. Would have loved to have them on the new style lights, but as it stands. Not needed.

Here are a few pictures I took just a little while ago. No need for auto leveling as they do not blind drivers. They come set like this.

And here is @cowboyt 's lights for comparison.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
About this Discussion
66 Replies
7 Participants
Orre
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing