Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1997 S500V, 1999 S500 grand edition, 2006 s65 amg
7,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone i am currently testing out a mirror retrofit I have been wanting to test for years. I acquired a 2003 mercedes s600 mirror and a broken w140 mirror (just for the base). The plastic on the base is grey but my interior is parchment and the mirror out of the w220 was parchment aswell i am gettig color matched paint for the plastic. The actual size of the glass is the same size, i will be using a w140 glass just so its not too much of a wiring job. But in theory same mirror different connector. Here is where it gets interesting the garage door opener is the same connector on both. The features the w220 mirror adds is the led illumination (orange ambient light) and reading lights. To get the auto dimming to work you have to shave 10mm off the clear plexi tube in the w220 mirror. Some might say its too much for a pair of lights but its worth it to me because i needed a mirror since mine was falling apart. You can never really find a w140 mirror in great condition so next step is retrofit. On my 97 and 98 s500 i retrofitted w210 mirrors for the led ambient light.

Note: i am not completely done but i am 99% sure everything will work great once my color matched paint comes.

Attachments

·
Registered
1992 400SE
194 Posts
Great project. As you wrote W140 mirrors are difficult and expensive in good condition.

What I'd like to find is an alternative for the rear vanity mirrors. The W220 vanity mirrors are completly different.

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was planning on doing the vanity mirrors in summer or fall. The w140 vanity mirrors rattle alot. What i want to fit is the older w140 roof handles the 98-99 w140 has plastic ones that are annoying the older ones are leather/vinyl

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I finished up the mirror and it fits perfect, like it was made for the w140. I recieved my color matched paint for the plastic from a company called M&G paints in the San Fernando Valley. I am going to redo thw mirror housing as well since it is in java and the grand edition is a little more parchment (or i might leave it as is). Every thing fits nicely I used the oem 140 mirror and mirror base. The mirror housing with ambient light and reading lamps with garage door opener is off the w220 mirror. I also put anti vibration foam in certain spots to make the mirror completely solid.

As for the wiring I should have looked at the dome lights switches and circuit board before wiring the mirror. The swith is on a negative lead unlike the w220 which the switch is the 12v. I need to redo the wiring not a big issue as of now i left the reading lights disconnected.

Attachments

·
Registered
1994 S600 Coupe, 1995 S600 Coupe
2,217 Posts
I did exactly the same thing after my original mirror disintegrated when I accidentally bumped it. I was going to write it up, but you beat me to it. W220 mirror assemblies are cheap, and good W140 mirrors are expensive and brittle.

I just changed out the mirror glass itself with the one from the W220, because mine had turned permanently gold. It's pretty easy to wire up, because the W220 mirror electronics connector is marked, unlike the W140 circuit board. All you need is power and ground if you are only concerned about the interior mirror. Power on the 140 is the grey/blue wire, and ground is brown. All of the grounds on the connector are connected on the W220 circuit board, and either of the top 2 pins can be used to apply power.

I looked at using the adjusting motor mechanism of the W220. The motors can be made to work, but the potentiometers for the memory are wired differently between the two models, and are incompatible.

Any of the late 90s/early 2000s Mercedes mirrors can be a donor for just the glass and dimming electronics. Same with the garage door opener. That is also just power and ground.

So I'm using the W220 housing, garage door opener, glass and mirror electronics, and the W140 adjusting servomechanism. Works fine, and looks original.

·
Registered
600 coupe, one of the very first built
312 Posts
My c140 has a power mirror with auto-dim. Everything works, but the assembly is not as solid on the mount as I think it should be.
Since I am going to take it out and try to repair, I might as well do the w220 retrofit.
Looking at the electric diagrams, I agree that wiring of the LED and the Homelink system will be straightforward.

My question to those that have done the mode already - how did you wire the extra left and right reading lights?
I am looking at the center overhead console diagram (attached below), but cannot figure out an easy place to connect the power wires from the w220 housing.

And this is what the back of the console looks like:

The green and brown wires coming off of the console reading light switches are for control signal to the circuit board, not switched + or - 12V, correct?

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
On one of mine, I used vehicle switched power, and added a couple of small switches to turn them on and off. I never use them. On my second car I left them unwired. Just not worth the hassle with the reading lights already in the overhead. Of course, I replaced all of my interior lights with LEDs , so I have plenty of light.

Jon

·
Registered
600 coupe, one of the very first built
312 Posts
On one of mine, I used vehicle switched power, and added a couple of small switches to turn them on and off.
Do you mind sharing the details, please?
If I were to add additional switches for the w220 mirror reading lights, where would be a good location?
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I used switches something like this on the underside of the mirror, one switch for each side. The switches slid sideways. I'd take a picture, but a friend has my car at least until the lockdown is over.

It was a lot of work for something I never use. You really don't notice the lenses on the bottom, so I don't miss the lights on my second car.

Jon

1 - 10 of 10 Posts