Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can it be done 00 I want to up grade the radio but I need it to work with factory Bose speakers there a bunch of companies make Android head units that look like the 03-06 head unit.. I'm not worried about it fitting just working with the fiber optics

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Yes, you can upgrade.

No, the Android unit won't be a simple drop-in. This is because the fiber-optics in W220's, up to and including model year 2003, use the MB-proprietary D2B protocol, which doesn't work with anything except factory MB gear. I am facing exactly this scenario with both Dad's car and the project 2000 S500.

Essentially, what you're facing on a pre-facelift car is a rip 'n' replace of the electronic gear, amplifier included. Theoretically the speakers should hook up fine to a different amplifier. However, Bose are known to use "special" equalization curves on the outputs of their amplifiers to optimize for their speakers (e. g. Bose's 901 series). I don't yet know if a similar equalization curve is required for the best sound with the Bose speaker drivers in our cars.

So, it's not a small job that either you or I are looking at here.

·
Registered
41 Posts
FYI, Bose crossovers are also usually some weird resistance like 2 or 3 ohm. So most aftermarket amps are not stable in stereo mode at that resistance level. I at looking at doing the same thing, however I will replace the speakers, processors, and amplifiers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
W220_N00b
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing