Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 CLS550 W218 with 50K miles on it. Magnificent vehicle to drive! From High speeds when braking hard (from 120 down to maybe 70 MPH) I was experiencing a shudder on the steering and and loud whirring noise. I figured time for Rotors and Pads front and rear so I ordered the Extreme Pads (Ceramic and Carbon Fiber) and Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors by Power Stop through Jegs.com.

New Rotors and Pads installed and roughly 200 miles driven to bed pads in. Got on the highway this past weekend and was accelerating to about 130MPH when someone pulled in front of me and I hard braked from around 125 down to 70MPH ... I was horrified that I experienced violent shaking in the steering and a wicked vibration through the whole car, even worse than before. I'm hoping I just received a bad batch of Rotors.

What next? Wheel Bearings - or - Front Tires? Since the Rotors and pads are new I'm finding it hard to believe they are at fault.

Any suggestions? Thank You.

I'm new to the forum but not to fast cars. I'm a Master Mechanic and have owned BMW's, Porsches, Mercedes SL's and back in the day Alfa Romeo's.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
18,857 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Please take a moment to visit the User Control Panel and update your profile to include your car model and year, and your location (at least country). This information will then appear below your name and avatar on the left side panel next to each post you make. This will greatly help others to give you better information. If you are using the mobile version of the site, you will need to switch to the "full" version to get to the User Control Panel.

Get the alignment checked. A slightly bad toe alignment can cause this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi DeanoG,

I am wondering if you got an answer to your issue? I am having the same exact issue, although mine has 100K miles now. There is a maintenance item on these cars for front wheel bearing adjustment in the WIS. Having done this I am still having the issue so I started checking other things and found that I can twist the forward thrust arms by hand. I suspect that, unless I am mistaken, this should not be the case.

I have been looking around to see if the bushing is a separate piece which can be pressed out and replaced but I am not having any luck. All i can find is the entire arm with bushing and ball joint even though in the WIS is mentions taking the bushing out and specifies the tool. So it would seem a front suspension control arm refresh is what will be needed.

Has anyone else experienced this? Or have any opinions or tips? I dont believe I need an alignment since the dealer reported doing it after replacing both left and right turbo.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update :

Replaced front wheel hubs via MB Stealership. $1000 for both front wheel hubs pre-packed, loaded with special synthetic green grease and new wheel bearings with inner seals complete. Actually worth the money. Be super careful when you load tension on new hubs / bearings. Do not over tighten and remember the wheel speed sensors rings are built into the inner seals. (side note : my factory hubs had quite a bit of corrosion build up on them that got me thinking possibly they were effecting the seat of the wheel on the hub). After new hubs were installed I used a wire brush on a drill to clean the inside of the mag wheel hubs where they seat onto the hub. Also, keeping in mind I also previously installed new rotors and pads front and rear and I have No play in front suspension. Now, with the new front bearings correctly tensioned the vehicle is as smooth as silk again and no noise on braking. These vehicles are stunning to drive and are very well built but keeping up on maintenance is crucial.

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Update :

Replaced front wheel hubs via MB Stealership. $1000 for both front wheel hubs pre-packed, loaded with special synthetic green grease and new wheel bearings with inner seals complete. Actually worth the money. Be super careful when you load tension on new hubs / bearings. Do not over tighten and remember the wheel speed sensors rings are built into the inner seals. (side note : my factory hubs had quite a bit of corrosion build up on them that got me thinking possibly they were effecting the seat of the wheel on the hub). After new hubs were installed I used a wire brush on a drill to clean the inside of the mag wheel hubs where they seat onto the hub. Also, keeping in mind I also previously installed new rotors and pads front and rear and I have No play in front suspension. Now, with the new front bearings correctly tensioned the vehicle is as smooth as silk again and no noise on braking. These vehicles are stunning to drive and are very well built but keeping up on maintenance is crucial.
Thanks for the heads up.
Very thorough work and great analysis for the issue.
Stay safe (120MPH!!...Jeez)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts