Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 CL500 located in California. Recently, I found the car battery dead. Since it was 8 years old, I just replaced it - with a Bosch battery of equal rating from Pep Boys. However, the problem did not go away. It has happened 4-5 times now. It has been in the shop 3 times, for a couple of days each, and they cannot find anything. (They attached a network monitor for a couple of days but nothing turned on.) Today is Mon. I last got the car back from the shop last Thurs. The car sat in my garage Fri Sat and Sun. On Fri, we popped to doors a couple of time to see that the power was still there. On Sat, I started checking battery voltage: 12.46V in the AM and same in the PM. On Sun, I noted a drop in V, to 11.5V in the AM. An hour later, 10.5V. Then 9V. I inserted an ammeter in the negative connection without breaking the circuit - and measured 1.7A-2.7A. Normal dormant current is 30mA or less. I saw the battery drop to 7.6V over a couple of hours before I disconnected it from the car. Has anybody seen this or does anyone have a suggestion?

·
Registered
cl500 w215
32 Posts
I'll just give you some hints, you need electrichian, he can maybe find a bad part, by disconecting one by one. I read somewere it can be cd wechsler or cd in navigation... I have this problem to, my battery lasts five days if car is not running, and everytime you discharge it too much, it's loosing ampere hours (it's weaker after that). I have keyless, maybe has something to do with it... I've noticed my clock on dashboard lags too :S

·
Registered
Sold my 2005 SL55, 2000 CL500
579 Posts
I have lived with this issue for years. Sometimes it does it. Sometimes it does not. Going to pull out the LoJack next and see what happens. I have had my Indy watch it for days and its in spec on the current draw while sitting. Sometimes I let it sit for a week and its fine. But its been dead after a couple of 3-4 day sits at the airport. I think its one of the Modules that every once in awhile just freaks out. My answer is to just trickle charge it when it sits over 4 days. I drive my SL55 most weekends when the weather is good.
With a new battery it seems to not be as bad. But once the battery gets run down a few times it seems to get worse. Thank god for roadside assistance for a jump when it does its trick. Just one of those old CL quirks you live with. Otherwise my 2000 CL500 is rock solid at 100K miles.

·
Registered
Sold my 2005 SL55, 2000 CL500
579 Posts
Eject the Nav disc when parked.
That POS CD gave up the ghost years ago. Not worth fixing that crappy nav system anyway. So no CD in my NAV. I think its the window module in mine thats doing it.
I just started it after sitting for 5 days with the Holiday and it was fine. Its really hit or miss. Its annoying if anything. Last time we went skiing in March it sat for a week and was
as dead as a doornail when we got home. Oh well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts