Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow MB enthusiasts,

Unfortunately after reading so much at the boards here and gaining valuable experience,my first post will be on an ABC issue.I read almost all of the ABC related topics here,but couldnt find a case with symptoms like mine.

After a short drive a couple of nights ago,upon parking on a curb and locking the vehicle ABC fluid started to spurt from the reservoir.That was no more than 0.5 liters.After pressure went down to normal and the spurt ceased, i checked the fluid level and it was low as expected.I filled around half a bottle of fluid.At first it showed the red ABC drive carefully warning constantly,then as i cycled through ride heights and turned the steering wheel both sides it disappeared.Then the other day after a 2 km drive to a mechanic it flashed the "ABC drive carefully" for milliseconds when driving onto bumps.The ride expectedly was a bit loose. I plugged it on a Star Machine and it showed "C1525-064 - System pressure too low " stored.At first i thought the pump is going bad.However when performing almost all tests the Star Diagnosis is providing i figured out that the pump is producing 180 bar constantly,and when rodeoing a bit lower 115-130-150 bar.Pump makes no excess noise.I unfortunately heard the unbearable groan of a failing pump in a friends S600,so i think thats not the case.I next observed the ABC reservoir.The level of the fluid was constant either with the engine off or at idle.I didnt check it during rodeo,because i was afraid it will spurt out once again.There are bubbles in the fluid reservoir,which may suggest air in the system,which cant be forced out.Then when scrolling through the star options i messed with adaptations of the ABC control unit and after successfully performing level calibration i proceeded to plunger sensors and it said plunger sensor values are not within tolerance or something like that.That for itself caused a blue "ABC visit workshop",with the error "unsuccessful plunger sensor calibration".I did that only out of curiosity.The car did not drop level, or lean, or sink on one side.I remember these calibration values are hard to guess and it was a pain when i messed around them on my SL55 and my W220 S (although its an airmatic),but i proceeded anyways - stupid me.However just to confirm and again out of curiosity, i risked having an error on the SL's dash and performed a calibration on the R230 with the same values i tried with on the CL and the system calibrated the level sensors and the plungers succesfully - so there must be any fault with the CL plungers or ride height sensors,although i have never experienced a calibration issue or fault on the display before i messed up with the Star afterwards.Next i put the CL on a lifter to inspect for a leak around struts or hoses.I found no such external leaks.I inspected the struts and all but the front left felt pressurized and were very hard to move.The front left shock could be moved by hand as car is on the lifter.Then i tested the strut on the star - actuating the release valve and then pumping it back to level.I think the test went ok.
Although it may be out of the point my cruise control (not distronic) and the speed limiter are not engaging at all (not flashing or working until some speed).I observed that around 6 months ago.It may have been longer as i almost never use it.No fault codes in the ESP module and tested the cruise control/limiter switch via star and it was working.Following the unsuccessful plunger calibration i come to think that the two faults may be interconnected.

I have never done any ABC work on the car since its in my hands.There are no records of ABC interventions in the service book and the invoices i got from the previous owner.I flushed the system when i bought the car 5 years ago at 165,000 km for prevention and got new fluid and cap filter.Now the car has around 215,000 km.Again out of the point, on my SL55 i had an even harder splatter like the above mentioned (maybe 2-3 liters of fluid everywhere in the engine bay)and was prepared for a new pump, as then it was obvious that the pump wasnt circulating the fluid - i had the tuna boat ride,constant "ABC drive carefully".It turned out to be an o-ring which cracked and allowed air in the system.It was a 30$ fix.

Excuse my long post and offtopics,but i want to make all the circumstances clear.Any help and ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you and i wish you faultless and trouble free MB motoring (if thats possible with nowadays Mercs)
Stan

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How about your accumulator ? Those wear out and if they've never been replaced it might be time
Thanks for the suggestion.I left the car to a quite competent indy a couple of days ago.I will let you know what caused the fault.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It turned out to be the front accumulator.Although the car was not that bouncy,the accumulator was full of abc fluid.System sustains pressure and i performed calibration with no issues.I consider replacing the other three.My parts supplier only had one in stock.
Thanks for your expertise guys !

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
18,845 Posts
SDS (Star Diagnosis, a.k.a. Xentry).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello fellow MB enthusiasts,

Unfortunately after reading so much at the boards here and gaining valuable experience,my first post will be on an ABC issue.I read almost all of the ABC related topics here,but couldnt find a case with symptoms like mine.

After a short drive a couple of nights ago,upon parking on a curb and locking the vehicle ABC fluid started to spurt from the reservoir.That was no more than 0.5 liters.After pressure went down to normal and the spurt ceased, i checked the fluid level and it was low as expected.I filled around half a bottle of fluid.At first it showed the red ABC drive carefully warning constantly,then as i cycled through ride heights and turned the steering wheel both sides it disappeared.Then the other day after a 2 km drive to a mechanic it flashed the "ABC drive carefully" for milliseconds when driving onto bumps.The ride expectedly was a bit loose. I plugged it on a Star Machine and it showed "C1525-064 - System pressure too low " stored.At first i thought the pump is going bad.However when performing almost all tests the Star Diagnosis is providing i figured out that the pump is producing 180 bar constantly,and when rodeoing a bit lower 115-130-150 bar.Pump makes no excess noise.I unfortunately heard the unbearable groan of a failing pump in a friends S600,so i think thats not the case.I next observed the ABC reservoir.The level of the fluid was constant either with the engine off or at idle.I didnt check it during rodeo,because i was afraid it will spurt out once again.There are bubbles in the fluid reservoir,which may suggest air in the system,which cant be forced out.Then when scrolling through the star options i messed with adaptations of the ABC control unit and after successfully performing level calibration i proceeded to plunger sensors and it said plunger sensor values are not within tolerance or something like that.That for itself caused a blue "ABC visit workshop",with the error "unsuccessful plunger sensor calibration".I did that only out of curiosity.The car did not drop level, or lean, or sink on one side.I remember these calibration values are hard to guess and it was a pain when i messed around them on my SL55 and my W220 S (although its an airmatic),but i proceeded anyways - stupid me.However just to confirm and again out of curiosity, i risked having an error on the SL's dash and performed a calibration on the R230 with the same values i tried with on the CL and the system calibrated the level sensors and the plungers succesfully - so there must be any fault with the CL plungers or ride height sensors,although i have never experienced a calibration issue or fault on the display before i messed up with the Star afterwards.Next i put the CL on a lifter to inspect for a leak around struts or hoses.I found no such external leaks.I inspected the struts and all but the front left felt pressurized and were very hard to move.The front left shock could be moved by hand as car is on the lifter.Then i tested the strut on the star - actuating the release valve and then pumping it back to level.I think the test went ok.
Although it may be out of the point my cruise control (not distronic) and the speed limiter are not engaging at all (not flashing or working until some speed).I observed that around 6 months ago.It may have been longer as i almost never use it.No fault codes in the ESP module and tested the cruise control/limiter switch via star and it was working.Following the unsuccessful plunger calibration i come to think that the two faults may be interconnected.

I have never done any ABC work on the car since its in my hands.There are no records of ABC interventions in the service book and the invoices i got from the previous owner.I flushed the system when i bought the car 5 years ago at 165,000 km for prevention and got new fluid and cap filter.Now the car has around 215,000 km.Again out of the point, on my SL55 i had an even harder splatter like the above mentioned (maybe 2-3 liters of fluid everywhere in the engine bay)and was prepared for a new pump, as then it was obvious that the pump wasnt circulating the fluid - i had the tuna boat ride,constant "ABC drive carefully".It turned out to be an o-ring which cracked and allowed air in the system.It was a 30$ fix.

Excuse my long post and offtopics,but i want to make all the circumstances clear.Any help and ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you and i wish you faultless and trouble free MB motoring (if thats possible with nowadays Mercs)
Stan
Sounds like a blown accumulator (Shere), same happened to me. I had all accumulators replaced, inspecting the old ones 2 were found to have failed. Ride now MUCH better. If an accumulator fails and the oil is replaced all will seem fine but buffering will be reduced therefore increasing stress on system. Quoted life expectancy of accumulators is 8 - 10 years. Hope this is of help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts