Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey peops.
New to the forum, living in Norway. I’m currently in a dilemma sort of situation as I’m trying to decide on buying a car to fit the need of a soon to be 4 member family and of course my own ego and garage needs too.
The thing is the s320 cdi from ‘06 to ’09 is my dream car of a long time now as I don’t think in my country anything over ‘09 and relatively ok mileage is close to affordable for me. On the other hand is the w212 diesel powered by the 2.2 ltr engine that is also a solid car but very different in user experience than the S series. On the plus side I can get a ‘10 or ‘11 model E class with considerably lower mileage and a quite less money than the S class but on the negative side is that I’m not really crazy about the exterior design of the E class of these years. I don’t know much about any of the two when it comes to maintaining but I’ve got DIY skills and a mechanic friend that can occasionally help as long as I won’t need to repair them all the time so that I’ll be forced to lock him in one of the bedrooms to have him around whenever need be.
Anyway, not asking for details as to what goes wrong with each cause those are almost well known by now but more like a general sort of guidance as to which would be the more sensible choice of the two. For the moment I’m looking at a ‘10 w212 with 100k miles for around $16k vs the good old S from ‘07 with 135k miles driven that will cost me around $20k. Which of these will be the more reliable one for the long run? Any and all help is appreciated

·
Registered
W212 350CDI -09 W219 320CDI -07 Ex:W220 320CDI -01 Ex:W210 270CDI -01 EX: W211 320CDI -04
1,635 Posts
35k mileage difference is 'nothing'...
search OM642 and OM651 for more info about both engine models 'features'... try also UK forums since diesels are far more common in Europe than US. Power difference 220CDI/320CDI is quite big, but why not just go and test drive both.

Overall S-class parts are bit more expensive, S-class has more 'electric stuff' as a standard.

In either way, you would need SDS system for proper DIY diagnostics. In addition, you will get WIS and EPC (workshop instructions and electric part catalogue) with that chinese clone. Also, a (very) skilled user can use Vediamo or DTS programs (often included in hdd) to change/retrofitting parts that needs SCN coding (MB made individual SCN account usage very difficult lately). If you can afford MB and are very DIY oriented, you can afford price difference of SDS vs. other diagnostics...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
35k mileage difference is 'nothing'...
search OM642 and OM651 for more info about both engine models 'features'... try also UK forums since diesels are far more common in Europe than US. Power difference 220CDI/320CDI is quite big, but why not just go and test drive both.

Overall S-class parts are bit more expensive, S-class has more 'electric stuff' as a standard.

In either way, you would need SDS system for proper DIY diagnostics. In addition, you will get WIS and EPC (workshop instructions and electric part catalogue) with that chinese clone. Also, a (very) skilled user can use Vediamo or DTS programs (often included in hdd) to change/retrofitting parts that needs SCN coding (MB made individual SCN account usage very difficult lately). If you can afford MB and are very DIY oriented, you can afford price difference of SDS vs. other diagnostics...
Thanks for the swift reply. Was thinking basically reliability wise as I don’t wanna spend most of my days fixing either one of the cars that I end up buying cause I’m soon going to be a dad of two so between working and taking care of two kids I imagine theres not gonna be a whole lot of free time to be fixing them.

·
Registered
W212 350CDI -09 W219 320CDI -07 Ex:W220 320CDI -01 Ex:W210 270CDI -01 EX: W211 320CDI -04
1,635 Posts
OK, 10 year old car is always bit of lottery... try read some engines pros and cons. Lots of info available. W212 is suffering rear subframe rusting, W221 is bit more rare and experiences are not so widely available than 'family class' W212 so can't recall such major problems with S-class.

Then I would avoid Adblue (BlueTec) system engines. I think any of W211 has not it yet, but -10 W212 might already have one. Straight from devil, I would say.

Airmatic is one thing you need to maintenance - or repair periodically. So I would recommend coil spring suspension too. Note that wagon/estate model of W212 has always air bags in rear, and most W221 are fitted with full airmatic (or ABC). I think 320CDi was available with conventinoal suspension.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, 10 year old car is always bit of lottery... try read some engines pros and cons. Lots of info available. W212 is suffering rear subframe rusting, W221 is bit more rare and experiences are not so widely available than 'family class' W212 so can't recall such major problems with S-class.

Then I would avoid Adblue (BlueTec) system engines. I think any of W211 has not it yet, but -10 W212 might already have one. Straight from devil, I would say.

Airmatic is one thing you need to maintenance - or repair periodically. So I would recommend coil spring suspension too. Note that wagon/estate model of W212 has always air bags in rear, and most W221 are fitted with full airmatic (or ABC). I think 320CDi was available with conventinoal suspension.
Airmatic is not really a problem I would say if it happens to fail, relatively easy to fix both the compressor and the struts on all sides. I’ve had a friend that changed theirs on the side of the road when it failed on him while driving, I bought the parts for him and delivered it where he got stuck so as long as its not an electrical thing I would say its easy enough to deal with. The only thing I’m not at all good with are electrics on any car. Thats what I’m mostly aftaid of otherwise mechanic and suspension is really a hobby for me. Great insight though on the details from your part. I take you’ve been in the mercedes world for a long time.

·
Registered
2011 E350 Bluetec
112 Posts

I agree… stay away from W212 with OM642 engine using Bluetec system. They are a bit of a money bit. I know from experience. North America has a class action lawsuit for a reimbursement on repairs. Mind you, many owners have probably spent more on this than what they will be getting. In addition, MB has issued a service bulletin (more like a recall without calling it a recall) to repair the emissions components (or AEM - Alternative Emissions Modification). My car was due for this in December 2021 but has been pushed to January 2022.

I’m currently driving with the check engine light and know the car thinks it’s the NOX sensors but both NOX sensors are new (about a month old) as well as everything else emissions related in the past 2 years (i.e. DPF Pressure Sensor, DEF Heater, DEF Pump, DEF Injector, EGR Valve and modified PCV Valve to have a Mann & Hummel Oil Catch Can). The only thing left is the actual exhaust… DPF and SCR pipes or portions of the exhaust. Just have to wait… otherwise, the OM642 engine is ok once you replace the oil cooler seals.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts