Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
'04 W211 E240, MY10 W204 C300
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of Yilduz W211 wheels to install on my W210. These wheels require 14mm x 1.5,25mm shank and 14mm dome lug bolts.
The W210 of course requires 12mm Lug bolts.

I have gone to the RAD wheel bolt site and queried the cost of the conversion bolts - 12mmx1.5 x 25mm shank with 14mm cone. The cost of the bolts is fine however they only ship with USPS international postage which ends up twice the cost of the actual bolts themselves.

For the same cost I can buy a set of taps and increase the size of the threads in the wheel axle holders from 12mm to 14mm thread and then use the original W211 lug bolts.
Anyone done this?

Any comments from some of those experts out there on the feasibility of doing this?

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
I considered that myself at one time. For a while I was driving on match-ground lug bolts, which seemed to work fine, but they still needed to be the right length.

Drilling and tapping (I doubt you can just force the 14MM tap through there) means you have to hit it exact. Any variance and the week will not mount properly, then you have to replace the hub, which will get expensive, too. And each time you replace the rotors you will have to drill them, too.

Me, I'd buy the correct lug bolts...or use other wheels. ;)

Good luck.

·
Registered
'04 W211 E240, MY10 W204 C300
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would not drill the existing holes out and then try to make exact level new 14mm threads. I was thinking of progressively using 12.5, 13, 13.5 and then 14 mm taps through each hole.

I have bitten the bullet and ordered a set of the appropriate lug bolts from Rad bolts.

Probably a local machine shop would have re-tapped the threads to 14mm cheaper than the cost of USPS + bolts.

I might go to a bone yard and get a set of front axle units and re tap them and see how they go.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts