Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

61 - 80 of 519 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
I think the old comand has nav. too, I know the new comand can copy the nav. disc to its hard drive, not like the old one you need the disc in the cd drive to operate the system.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
only different front panel?
Do you mean the "rear panel would look the same"? You did not post a photo for comparison but the rear is different at least for the GPS connector and the video input of course.

The box itself is completely different HW, so it isn't just a different front panel for sure (but I don't think you even meant that).

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
The German price for the option is not far from $5k. This option price isn't covering the Comand HU because the Audio 20 CD HU is included in the standard price and you don't get both devices at the option price tag. Add the value of the Audio 20 CD HU and $5k is certainly exceeded without parts price multipliers taken into account.

On the other hand, one can find from eBay the same device but for other car models at less than 3k€.

Mercedes Benz Comand NTG 2.5 SLK-Klasse 171 DVD FSE bei eBay.de: Einbau-Navigationssysteme (endet 17.10.08 13:27:01 MESZ)
The W211 NTG2.5 too now on sale at eBay:
Mercedes Benz Comand NTG 2.5 E-Klasse W211 CLS C219 bei eBay.de: Einbau-Navigationssysteme (endet 03.12.08 09:34:34 MEZ)

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I think I kinda lost the string a bit within 7 pages but I didn't know that would fit in a 06 W211. I thought this is brand new and has all those new connectors. But the 06 I though has still the same old connectors as the 04/05.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
I think I kinda lost the string a bit within 7 pages but I didn't know that would fit in a 06 W211. I thought this is brand new and has all those new connectors. But the 06 I though has still the same old connectors as the 04/05.
I did not claim I was up to with the thread, I just referred to one of the individual posts. :eek:

The new device has pretty much the same wiring as the simple Audio 20 CD unit (available in Europe at least). This is a self-contained head unit equally as the new Comand. The new unit does not fit well on an older car with Comand, as odd as it feels.

The older Comand does not fit well either with the older car with Audio 20 CD because the Comand needs the AGW while there is none with a basic Audio 20 CD (plus other issues).

·
Registered
42 Posts
To put some fuel on this topic:

I retrofitted the new NTG 2.5 Comand into my 2005 CLS (W219). The original equipment was Audio 20 CD without CD Changer.

What I needed was:
- NTG 2.5 Comand unit
- Adapter set for the Quadlok connector, since the wiring is different
- Microphone lead and new microphone, since my car was not equipped with telephone option.
- Bluetooth antenna with 60 cm wire with Fakra Connector
- GPS antenna with Fakra connector

With all this equipment it was a plug-and-play :thumbsup:.

The new Comand works fine:
- Radio works normally, also steering wheel controls are working.
- CDs and DVDs are working normally.
- Nav works fine with the new antenna (behind dashboard).
- Telephone Bluetooth link works fine.

What is still missing is the TEL and NAV information on the Multi-function display, since nothing is recoded.
The steering wheel TEL buttons are inop.
Also the center panel (cd changer) door stopped working (does not open any more), possibly because of some issue with Can codes. Anyhow that is not a big deal, because I don't have a cd changer. All the buttons (seat heating, etc) are working normally.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi POLLES
Congrats to you. Great! you have finally done it.

We can conclude now the the CAN signal is identical since the steering buttons and Instrument Panel Display works
What is still missing is the TEL and NAV information on the Multi-function display, since nothing is recoded.
What do u mean by the above? Please explain

thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts

What do u mean by the above? Please explain

thanks
My car did not have telephone or navigation before, and I have not visited any dealer to run Star Diagnosis for the new configuration.
That means my car does not know that it has NAVI and TEL and the Multi-function display is not expecting any information from these sources.
When I push the steering wheel TEL buttons the Multi Function display says: "Function not available".

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
My car did not have telephone or navigation before, and I have not visited any dealer to run Star Diagnosis for the new configuration.
That means my car does not know that it has NAVI and TEL and the Multi-function display is not expecting any information from these sources.
When I push the steering wheel TEL buttons the Multi Function display says: "Function not available".
Your post was very useful here. The steering wheel buttons and the multi-function display remain inoperational when retrofitting the older navi too, if those have not been previously activated by version coding. If the CAN-signalling is compatible, getting these activated should be a simple SDS programming task.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Your post was very useful here. The steering wheel buttons and the multi-function display remain inoperational when retrofitting the older navi too, if those have not been previously activated by version coding. If the CAN-signalling is compatible, getting these activated should be a simple SDS programming task.
That is what I thought. I'm trying to find a workshop who could make the SDS programming. I'll keep you informed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
UPGRADE Audio20 with AGW to NEW COMAND NTG2.5

i am taking this challenge to built a set of wire harness to east the installation of the NEW Comand NTG 2.5, Model BD0880 (single DVD) or BZ9880 (with 6 CDC). By having this harness it will make the installation a DIY rather then the one that need professional installer.

I will find ways to connect and extend the Radio Aerial, GPS Antenna, Speakers (4 sets), CAN-B High/Low from the AGW at the trunk to the NEW COMAND NTG2.5.

I will also make the installation simple by having the harness connected to the QUADLOCK on one end.

If there is anyone interested please email to me and if the numbers are right, I will invest to fabricate the cable so anyone will be able to upgrade to the lastest 2008/09 NEW COMAND.

I will buy the tools and clamp and try to make the cable to be of high quality and later make a instruction manual as a guide.

I will take this project seriously if there is a demand for it.

Please give feedback.

THank You

·
Registered
265 Posts
To put some fuel on this topic:

I retrofitted the new NTG 2.5 Comand into my 2005 CLS (W219). The original equipment was Audio 20 CD without CD Changer.

What I needed was:
- NTG 2.5 Comand unit
- Adapter set for the Quadlok connector, since the wiring is different
- Microphone lead and new microphone, since my car was not equipped with telephone option.
- Bluetooth antenna with 60 cm wire with Fakra Connector
- GPS antenna with Fakra connector

With all this equipment it was a plug-and-play :thumbsup:.

The new Comand works fine:
- Radio works normally, also steering wheel controls are working.
- CDs and DVDs are working normally.
- Nav works fine with the new antenna (behind dashboard).
- Telephone Bluetooth link works fine.

Also the center panel (cd changer) door stopped working (does not open any more), possibly because of some issue with Can codes. Anyhow that is not a big deal, because I don't have a cd changer. All the buttons (seat heating, etc) are working normally.
Hello Polles
You must be a few (or more ) steps ahead,

I have an E200K Avantagarde - May2007 originally with an Audio20 and with telephone (code386).
Six months ago I retrofitted a comand APS and a CD changer. A month later I also retrofitted a TV Tuner.
Having spent a fortune I see the new Comand with all its capabilities and I just felt that a lot of money has gone down the drain
A week ago I bought a BD0880 (almost by mistake!) , which I got this morning.
As all the wiring from Audio20 are still there so it seems that it should not be very difficult to upgrade.
However there are still some (alot really) questions to be answered
a) Is my CD changer going to work with the new comand ?
b) All the phone wiring should be left redundant or can I use it in conjuction with the new comand ??
c) Is the TV Tuner going to work with the new comand ??
d) A couple of weeks ago I bought a Harman Kardon AGW to upgrade the Sound. MOST probably this would not work (as the AGW is inside BD0880)
e) and ofcourse a lot more issues which will certainly arise !!!
SO CAN YOU DO ME JUST A BIG FAVOUR ??
Is it posible to confirm what are the plugs on the back of bd0880 ??
2 x white fakra
1 x yellow fakra
1 x green fakra
1 x blue fakra
and all the rest !!

A million thanks in advance to you and whoever finds a little time to give me some advice
From warm and sunny Athens
Best Regards
George

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hello Polles
You must be a few (or more ) steps ahead,

I have an E200K Avantagarde - May2007 originally with an Audio20 and with telephone (code386).
Six months ago I retrofitted a comand APS and a CD changer. A month later I also retrofitted a TV Tuner.
Having spent a fortune I see the new Comand with all its capabilities and I just felt that a lot of money has gone down the drain
A week ago I bought a BD0880 (almost by mistake!) , which I got this morning.
As all the wiring from Audio20 are still there so it seems that it should not be very difficult to upgrade.
However there are still some (alot really) questions to be answered
b) All the phone wiring should be left redundant or can I use it in conjuction with the new comand ??
d) A couple of weeks ago I bought a Harman Kardon AGW to upgrade the Sound. MOST probably this would not work (as the AGW is inside BD0880)
2 x white fakra
1 x yellow fakra
1 x green fakra
1 x blue fakra
and all the rest !!

A million thanks in advance to you and whoever finds a little time to give me some advice
From warm and sunny Athens
Best Regards
George
2 x white fakra --> RADIO ANTENNA
1 x yellow fakra --> BLUETOOTH ANTENNA
1 x green fakra ---> REVERSE CAMERA
1 x blue fakra ----> GPS ANTENNA

quadlock 40pin ----> power, speakers x4, CAN-B H/L and MOST fibre T/R, MICROPHONE 1 & 2
18pin black conn ---> TV TUNER

·
Registered
265 Posts
I guess the W211 part number is A2118706694. I have not seen this on parts price lists yet. 3046 Euros as a factory option, in Germany.
I just got a new navi BD0880 and the part number is A211 870 50 94 manufactured in Japan yr2008
Rgds

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
I just got a new navi BD0880 and the part number is A211 870 50 94 manufactured in Japan yr2008
Rgds
Are you sure it is not A211 870 51 94?

Here with part# A 211 870 42 94.
http://cgi.ebay.de/Mercedes-Benz-Comand-NTG-2-5-E-Klasse-W211-CLS-C219_W0QQitemZ310106501205QQcmdZViewItemQQptZTechnik_Auto_Hi_Fi_Navigation_Einbau_Navigationssysteme?hash=item310106501205&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1229|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318
This part has been replaced by A2118706694.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hello Polles

2 x white fakra
1 x yellow fakra
1 x green fakra
1 x blue fakra
and all the rest !!
Hi,

I'm really no expert in this and the following are just guesses.
a)So far my cd changer door is not opening, meaning that it is impossible to load CDs.
b)What you can use with BD0880 is the microphone integrated in the rearview mirror. There is a cabling available.
c) ?
d)There is a HK option available for 2009 models also, but with different part number. I think the new part contains only amplifier, not AGW.

There is a cabling set available from Germany, which makes the retrofit plug-and-play. The work takes only few minutes.
I have the pin configuration for the BD0880 Quadlok if you need it.

I will go to the workshop next wednesday, then we'll see if the CAN-signalling is compatible.

I think a lot of your already retrofitted equipment will be useless if you install the new BD0880.

61 - 80 of 519 Posts
About this Discussion
518 Replies
74 Participants
alema
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing