Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

501 - 519 of 519 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
I brought a cup of Starbucks and gave it to the shop foreman. Other times a pack of German candy or a six pack of Heineken does the trick. That's it. But I have to admit, I have a really good connection with them.
You do have a really good connection Tobby, don't you ?
Cheers m8 !!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Alcohol is always good currency. Wish I had similar connections .. oh well. I will call the dealer and bend over when I get there I guess.

I brought a cup of Starbucks and gave it to the shop foreman. Other times a pack of German candy or a six pack of Heineken does the trick. That's it. But I have to admit, I have a really good connection with them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Problem: Comand APS NTG 2.5 does not play music from CD's. DVD movies, navigation and SD-card works fine. When insert a CD to the player, comes this message: "Disc unreadable". I have tested many Cd's.
Is the read head same in CD and DVD?

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,864 Posts
The read head optics will be different for CD and DVD; the wavelength of the laser light is different between CDs and DVDs, and the focus is different due to the difference in thickness of the polycarbonate between DVDs and CDs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi,
I'm a US expat currently in India. I just picked up an '08 (Aug '07 manf) E280CDI Elegance model which has Audio 20 + phone prewire. I'd like to upgrade to the NTG 2.5.

I've located one in the UK from Sat_Nav_deals (any feedback on them?) that comes with a 6 month warranty. I do have access to an independent MB tech who has DAS XENTRY/STAR. However, do I need to take the car to the dealer to get the upgrade to work? If Sat Nav provides me a pin to the radio will that be enough? Or, what else will I need to provide to the Dealer to confirm that the unit is not stolen?

Dealers here are not very DIY or mod friendly (even buying parts from them is a big pain). So, if this upgrade is going to be totally dependent on them, I might be in trouble.

I apologize if this info was covered earlier -- I've only read the last 3 pages as of now.

I also would like to add controls for an iPhone/ipod. I'm uncertain if I need the multimedia interface or just the ipod kit. And, am wondering if I can wire either of these kits so that I can put the iPhone/ipod in the central console instead of the glovebox.

Thanks
Byas

·
Registered
43 Posts
I know this is an old post so I hope you're still out there to answer my night mare problem. Going to the dealer is next, but my dealer "does not know squat about even the simple things." Nav map update. Disks purchased for "Here LLC." My 09 550 SL won't recognize the 2 update disks. They appear to load after the message but after the entire 1 1/2 hr process, it tells me unable to read then says to re insert #2 disk...which it doesn't recognize. Nothing on on the command works such as radio, phone etc. Insert #2 disk message and the little load circle stays on the screen. I've even tried a hard reboot by disconnecting the battery for an hour. Still get the same message. (I think that perhaps the firmware needs updating to recognize the disks.) but... How will the dealer get to that point if they can't install another disk? 3 years ago the same thing happened and the dealer said I burned up the command head. I had to purchase a "refurbished" Command unit for several thousand dollars. I Dont have any faith or trust in what the dealer will do, without having your kind of experience. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Refurbished for several $1000? You could have bought a new COMAND (not command) for less than that. What kind of a dealership is this? MB dealerships don't sell refurbished. They sell new only.

I'm gonna look up some stuff and give you some more information on your issue.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Geez, my bad...Comand not command. Yes, it is a MB dealership and I was told again today that they always install refurbished units because customers, like me, won't pay the price of a unused NEW one. I was also told that an activation code had to be put in, but there was never a menu calling for or place displayed to enter one. Apparently, the first disk was not recognized at all even though it appeared to load. Likely, if a activation code is required, that area would have been displayed up front.

·
Registered
19 Posts
NTG2.5 COMAND APS - No Navigation?

Hi, I have a 2009 W211 E350 and bought it used. It has a NTG2.5 COMAND APS - But it says no Navigation, in the engineering menu the Navigation SW and the HDD status are greyed out. I couldnt find anything similar in the forum nor couldnt i find any DVD with US Maps for that specific Unit. Anyone experiencing the same or have any advice how to get the Navigation working/installed?

Picture is attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Actually went to the dealer last week, they wanted me to purchase the latest maps and couldn't even tell me why there is no maps database installed. Quickly noticed that I have to do things myself, especially after some mechanic asked me what I meant by saying W211...

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
2016/2017 was the last version for NTG1 units. I had several conversations with MBUSA about it and they simply don’t give a shit about customers with that COMAND anymore. Sad.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well, with any NTG below 4.5 there isn't really any support. I am trying to get as much info as possible on replacing the 2.5 with an aftermarket but no luck so far. Unfortunately I am not an EE, but hopefully that skill won't be required :), will just try and see what happens I guess...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Is it possible to power the amp without the MOST wake-up signal? Thats where I am stuck right now, everything else works fine (Android radio, steering wheel buttons) but the amp won't turn on. Appreciate any help.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Are you trying to use your original Sound System amplifier? How do you feed the audio signal via MOST fibre if the head unit does not have any MOST wake-up?

I would go back to the NTG2.5 and fix it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
What do you mean by fixing it? I have a NTG2.5, no navi database installed, no USB, no iPod cable, AUX is in the glove compartment (very intuitive) and there is no A2DP + I havent burnt CDs for years nor do I collect music on my laptop. I would be ok with technology in the early 2000s, but common, that is an expensive nostalgic piece of history.

But you're right, no wake-up, no sound! I contacted Xtrons, they told me I have to use the FOB03 converter instead of the FOB01, but I am not convinced :/ don't think the converter sends the wake-up signal and they couldn't explain why it should work with that one and not the other converter.

501 - 519 of 519 Posts