Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 519 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know anything about this new comand?

I've heard some rumours that it fits perfectly when you have older audio 20 cd installed! just plug and play, because it has internal AWG like audio 20cd and plugs are same also.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
I have not seen anyone having retrofitted the new NTG2.5 device but you are right that the wiring is at least pretty much the same as for the Audio 20 CD and this unit should fit better than for the others that use AGW.

You could have a look at the wiring diagrams and compare the connector pin assignments but it is very likely that all match.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just pay your dealer $5-7K for the parts!
are you sure? when you buy new car, then comand (w/o navi) option costs about 2k! I think that internal hard drive, memory card slot, mp3 and aux would be pretty cool to have...

does anybody know this new comand part number?

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
are you sure? when you buy new car, then comand (w/o navi) option costs about 2k! I think that internal hard drive, memory card slot, mp3 and aux would be pretty cool to have...

does anybody know this new comand part number?
I guess the W211 part number is A2118706694. I have not seen this on parts price lists yet. 3046 Euros as a factory option, in Germany.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess the W211 part number is A2118706694. I have not seen this on parts price lists yet. 3046 Euros as a factory option, in Germany.
€3k is really overkill, in Estonia we have:
526 - comand, radio, mp3, cd, w/o navi - €1716
527 - comand APS, dvd navi, mp3, cd, radio - €2982

I think this code 527 is the old comand NTG2?

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Hah! When you buy a new ML or GL, the trailer hitch is a $550 option. The parts alone are $1K at the parts counter and it costs another $1K for dealer installation.

I bet my $5-7K is a pretty accurate guestimate.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
€3k is really overkill, in Estonia we have:
526 - comand, radio, mp3, cd, w/o navi - €1716
527 - comand APS, dvd navi, mp3, cd, radio - €2982

I think this code 527 is the old comand NTG2?
I was assuming the 526 being the old Comand (no APS), is the NTG2.5 available without navigation? The NTG 2.5 Comand APS anyway comes with the same option code 527 as the old Comand APS did.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Hah! When you buy a new ML or GL, the trailer hitch is a $550 option. The parts alone are $1K at the parts counter and it costs another $1K for dealer installation.

I bet my $5-7K is a pretty accurate guestimate.
The German price for the option is not far from $5k. This option price isn't covering the Comand HU because the Audio 20 CD HU is included in the standard price and you don't get both devices at the option price tag. Add the value of the Audio 20 CD HU and $5k is certainly exceeded without parts price multipliers taken into account.

On the other hand, one can find from eBay the same device but for other car models at less than 3k€.

Mercedes Benz Comand NTG 2.5 SLK-Klasse 171 DVD FSE bei eBay.de: Einbau-Navigationssysteme (endet 17.10.08 13:27:01 MESZ)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
On the other hand, one can find from eBay the same device but for other car models at less than 3k€.

Mercedes Benz Comand NTG 2.5 SLK-Klasse 171 DVD FSE bei eBay.de: Einbau-Navigationssysteme (endet 17.10.08 13:27:01 MESZ)
nice! :) then we just have to wait...

only different front panel?

R171 comand NTG 2,5:

w211 comand NTG 2,5:

I was assuming the 526 being the old Comand (no APS), is the NTG2.5 available without navigation?
don't know, never seen one (yet)...

·
Registered
42 Posts
hi, i m rick from malaysia
i am using a w211 (2003) and is fitted with comand aps. is able to play dvd, mp3.
it doesnt have phone or nav. Can any1 assure me if NTG 2.5 can be fitted easily?
The connector at the back

white - am/fm radio (probably antenna)
green -fakra dvd signal
blue - gps antenna
yellow - reverse camera
black square connector - FAKRA i/o
red - optic cable connector (I/O)

Can some1 please confirm the connections?

thank you

i m interested to upgrade to see if it works

please confirm if TV TUNER and IPOD ready is included in the COMAND??

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
The NTG2.5 COMAND is not easy to fit when you have Comand with an AGW. Your speaker wiring is at the rear, the radio tuner and the GPS too while all should be wired to the front. Of course possible but more work than you would have with a basic Audio 20 CD.

Do you already have the new Comand? How much did you pay for it?

·
Registered
42 Posts
i m in the final process to purchase it from some guys from Poland at the price of E1200.
Ya, i think you are right. I remember the speakers wiring is terminated from the rear. I also remember that there is only 1 single connector (fakra, black rectangle) which i connect to the comand APS, i upgraded it from APS50 previously. Now that i have seen the NTG 2.5, i m exicited and has found the seller.

The NTG2.5 has got AM/FM antenna and speakers wiriing which makes me feel is not as easy as plug n play as describe by the seller.

Can you please tell me what is a DIN connector? He claims i have to have this wire in order to work.

THe beautiful things about the ntg2.5 is that it has bluetooth for phone, SD Card, built in GPS with data in HDD,

DOes anyone know how many models are there for the NTG2.5?
I remember reading somewhere that some has built in TV tuner and IPOD ready as well
THat would be very Sweet and i think is worth the trouble to explore how to do the wiring. In Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia is hard to find good/experience installer for this kind of job. Most of them dare not take the risk and not adventurous enough to get into it.
Is my car and i m willing to learn from someone here who can help me!

Please respond, some1 who has materials or ideas or guide to fit NTG2.5 into my W211.
If ther is a manual or brieft wiring termination diagram, that would be of great help

Cheers

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
You should be able to purchase access to MB services and then download wiring diagrams. In Europe that would be this site:
Daimler AG - Service & Parts net

This NTG2.5 appears on several current models but the units are physically all a bit different.

It would not have TV tuner standard but I don't even remember if there was an option for the TV tuner and how would that be wired. iPod would be the same as on your current Comand.

DIN connector (or ISO connector) is the standard radio connector that you can find on most after market European radios and also on all older (but not ancient) European cars. If I remember right, NTG2.5 would not have the exact DIN/ISO connector but mostly equivalent pins (but not all).

Is the seller at eBay? Can you give pointers, the €1200 price sounds like the seller got it for free (one or the other way).

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
hi
do u mean the price euro1200 is reasonable or what?
what is the actual value of NTG2.5 COMAND APS ??
thanks
It does not have a spare part price yet, at least when I checked last time. €5000 would be closer to the real parts desk price (my guess). I'd be careful when buying at that price. Please report if it all goes fine.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i have had the new COMAND APS (2008/09) NTG2.5 in hand. I want to replace this with existing comand aps. (I have replaced the current comand aps with Audio20 with cassette the other time, 2 years back) Now is it possible to replace with the latest Comand APS?

I am having W211 (MY2002)
Currently it has Comand APS with DVD/MP3, with CDC, no PHONE, no NAV, I believed the N93/1(Audio Gateway) is at the back trunk. SO my speakers wire terminations willbe at the back trunk.

(1) I need help on what is connected to the N93/1. How do i get the photo with indications of each connector?
(2) How do i know if my car is on NTG 1 or NTG 2.0 ?
(3) Does this make any differences for me to swap the new 2008/09 comand?
(4) Is there any additional cables/optic cable or wire hardness that I need to make it work?

Another words

I hope some1 can guide me with a step by step instruction on how to fix this unit in my car. Thank you very much

CHeers

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
The installation of the previous generation W211 Comand after Audio 20 CC is simple because both use the AGW.

I doubt you could use the new Comand with AGW, you would then need to wire speakers to the front as well as the rest (GPS and radio antenna & diversity control).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hello
I m in need of help here.. Can we do somthing about retrofitting a NEW COMAND NTG2.5?
Since there is already an built in AGW in the new COMAND is there a way to make my existing AUDIO GATEWAY N93/1 to be slave instead of master? If this can be programmed then i do not need to extend the antenna and speakers wires from the back trunk to the front to the NEW COMAND. Is this possible?

I understand that in a MOST ring, only one device can be made master.
In my case currently, the AGW is the MASTER and my existing COMAND(old) is slave.

PLEASE HELP, i m sure there are some experts or great engineers here!

CHeers

1 - 20 of 519 Posts