Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes Benz 300E 144256 Miles. 2003 E500 105.XXX miles. 2005 ML55 AMG 72.XXX Miles
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been experiencing interior light flickering and rpm needle jumps up and down and you can feel it. This happens mostly when cold and when the car warms up rpm is much more stable and i believe the lights don't flicker as much?? And another thing going around the corners through the garage at work 5-7 mph car shifts in to second very early around 1100-1200 rpm and jerks the car does any one have any ideas ??? this happens every time when its cold and little bit less when its hot. Thank you

2003 E500 replaced battery and cleaned MAF

ANY ONE?

and another thing where heating and cooling controls are sometimes its bright and sometimes the lights are low this tells me it might be alternator or voltage regulator?

·
Registered
2005 E500 4 Matic
6 Posts
Lights Flicker and Power Surges

This may be off the topic but I have an 05 E500 that I bought used about 6 months ago. I noticed the first night that the power would surge. This caused all of my lights to flicker, fan motor to pulse and car would seem to run rough at idle. The batteries tested okay.... Aux was all but dead and the main battery seemed fine. They were both original, so I replaced them per the recommendation of the dealership (although I didn't buy them there.... AGM at AutoZone made by Johnson Controls (same as MB's)). I thought that would solve the problem but knew that it may be my voltage regulator..... again, since it could be a dead spot in my alternator and it's almost 8 yrs old, I decided to change the whole unit for approx $150 more than just the regulalator ($200...Napa Auto Parts). Boom.... my problem is fixed and no more power surge/lights flickering. My guess is that it was just the Voltage Regulator..... if you turn the key to the first position, menu over until you see your speedo, then press the reset button on the left of the dash 3 times, you can see the voltage coming back through.... mine was extremely jumpy... from 13.8 - 14.8 and all over the board. Now...... 14 - 14.1 steady and no surging!!!!

Good luck...hope this helps :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts