Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have noticed that my car takes a while to start especially in the morning. It takes about 2 to 3 tries before it starts. During the day it turns up fine in first attempt. So far:

I have read that it could be due to leak in fuel lines but I don't see any fuel dripping or leakage around fuel filter area?
My battery reads >12.5 volts before cranking up (in dash panel) and when driving it stays over 14 to 14.5 volts.

I am just thinking it would give me more trouble in the mornings before weather turn cold in my area. Any ideas or thoughts where i could start?
Thanks

·
Registered
428 Posts
Can you provide more information?
I assume this is an e320cdi? Or bluetec?
Does it crank slowly?
Does it catch and then not stay running?
Any smoke?
My dash lights?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response.
It's E270 CDI. Once it turns over there are no problems and it cranks fine.
What bothers me is that it takes 3-4 tries before it fires up.

·
Registered
428 Posts
You mean it takes 3 or 4 tries before it turns over? No click, no whirr.
This can be dirt/grime on the key or ignition switch where the key goes. Also just a worn tired ignition switch. It happens once every.few months for me, apparently it will get worse as the switch wears out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Have you replaced the fuel filter recently? Did this start soon after you fill up the diesel tank?

Where are you located and has it been cold there?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I replaced the fuel filter a year ago and have driven around 20k since then. The behaviour of hard start is the same irrespective of the tank level.

Weather in my area stays in mid 20s at night so it is not that cold yet but it will get colder in coming weeks.

·
Registered
35,769 Posts
I assume 20 degree is in Celsius?
You have the engine that never made it to US and from what I know is rare in the rest of the World, but has good opinions.
So no direct experience, but generally diesels make long start for 2 reasons:
1 Glow plugs are not coming on
2 The fuel system is sucking air
Most of fuel systems have clear line somewhere, so you can observe for potential air bubble.
Also with good scanner you can check rail pressure during cranking.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Kajtek1.
Yes it is 20 Deg C and I have no issues with the car except that I have noticed that it takes 2 or sometimes 3 cranks before engine starts in the morning. For the rest of the day its fine even at work it is parked at work for more than 8 hours during the day.
Does iCarsoft MB ver 2 count as a good scanner? would it give me rail pressure during cranking?
when i turn the ignition on the glow plugs light come on and then go off. Is there another way to check the glow plugs via scanner?

·
Registered
24 Posts
HI,
I've noticed similar symptoms when my EGR starts to stick. Try taking the plastic cover off the EGR valve, clean the mechanism with a bristle brush and spray some high temp lubricant onto the mechanism and the stem.
You don't have to take out the EGR out if you know how the plastic cover comes off, but it helps a lot if you're doing it for the firs time.

Every few months my e320 goes into limp mode after a long drive. I tracked the problem to the EGR valve getting sticky and throwing a code (but not turning on a CEL unless it happens multiple times in a single day)
When this happens the hard start symptom also appears. The engine cranks and it almost catches but fails. 2-3 times.
I assume the valve is stuck in open position(?). I should get a new egr valve but I found that 2 minute cleaning fixes it for a about 10k miles so...
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your suggestion. I have started parking my car outside the garage and it fires up fine in 1st attempt even though the temperatures have fallen below 10degC! I didn't do anything with the car since then, it cranks a bit slower but it fires up in 1st attempt.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Check your swirl flap linkage to the swirl flap motor and make sure it hasn't come disconnected. when that happens, the siwrl flaps can close themselves and stay shut, causing a lack of air flow needed on cold starts.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Check your swirl flap linkage to the swirl flap motor and make sure it hasn't come disconnected. when that happens, the siwrl flaps can close themselves and stay shut, causing a lack of air flow needed on cold starts.
Thats exactly what my om648 problem was. I posted a new thread on this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts