1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
^^ And the OM648 Diesel.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I absolutely love my om648, but i agree with Tjts1. The m112 in my wife's 05 Clk320 I've done literally nothing to (besides oil changes) except plugs/coils and a fuel pump relay.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
@Rossafuss, your OM648 has in excess of 450,000 miles on its clock. Of course you'll have done a bit more to it! :)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Too bad the crankshaft main rear seal lets go of the ghost after 250K miles on my M113. Otherwise very robust motors, I have 2 M113 and one M112.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
M112 and M113 need some maintenance , being 14 or more years old ,,,which I would include to be new valve cover gaskets and breather reseals , new crank position sensor , plus the usual filters , plugs , etc ...
but actual mechanical problems on correctly maintained engines are not very common ,,,and they are a good engine,,,power and efficiency wise ...

·
Registered
338 Posts
The 5.5 liter M273 V8 petrol engine is conspicuous by its absence in this discussion topic on motors for the W211.

Would this omission be due in part to the relative scarcity of the almighty V8 version of the W211 Mercedes E Class, or is there a reason why the M273 has not yet been mentioned thus far. Obviously there was the balance shaft issue, and the leaking solenoids, that afflicted several Mercedes engine variants between 2005 and 2007, but for the 2008 and 2009 model M273 engine, I have not yet encountered any negative reports thus far online.

So, yee exalted brethren of the V8, what is your view on the M273 rocket motor, as manufactured during the "good" years of 2008-2009 ?

·
Purple Moderator
21,639 Posts
I like that engine. Both it and the M272 seem to go through air pumps at a much quicker rate than the previous generation engines. Not a huge issue, but the pumps are pricey for good ones.

·
Registered
338 Posts
This is the first ever mention I have ever heard of M273 and M272 engines wear out air pumps faster than normal. I have some homework to do researching about failed air pumps, so I can hopefully spot any symptoms of such a failure, should they arise down the road in my 2009 CLK550.

·
Purple Moderator
21,639 Posts
It is not a huge failure rate. I have changed at least 14-15 of them.

On the M112 and M113 engines only about 6 changes have been done and I see lot more M112s and M113s.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Kinda makes one wonder why M-B got rid of the M112/M113's...they were, and are, not only reliable, but also relatively clean burning.

My mechanic buddy just bought a 2004 E320 4Matic for a *really* good price. He looked for the M112 motor, and the 5-speed 722.6 transmission, specifically due to their proven reliability. He also likes that 4Matic sticks to the ground like glue in inclement weather.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
11 Participants
cowboyt
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing