Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,
Joined this forum cause of the W126 virus which caught me years ago. Currently working part time in a classic MB garage over here in the Netherlands.
Couple of years ago came across the opportunity to purchase some W210 E55's and a W124 E500 in Dubai. Brought the cars over to the Netherlands just to find out after a thorough inspection that the cars were pretty much rust free but had suffered from bad mechanics who had messed about with the wiring, interior, etc.
Tidied the cars up, had to drive around in the perfect sleeper, S210 E55 without decalls, but the main thing was. The AMG virus had caught me as well.
Somewhere during 2018 the cars were sold leaving me with a 'empty nest syndrom', no more AMG's on the drive wayo_O

The next thing which appeared was a S203 55AMG, one of the best looking wagons around. Sold it of to one of my best friends and there I was again, empty handed.

Got tipped off by a client of the garage who knew someone with a W211 E55 Kompressor for sale who had blown his engine to bits, if I was interested.
Gave it some thorough thoughts for about 0,000001 second and the answer was: YES, offcourse I'm interested.

Inspected the car and it was clear that the previous owner had been able to purchase an E55 of 13years of age however maintaining it the proper way appeared to be too much for him.
Piston no8 had tipped over while running at speed creating a large hole in the cylinder, instantly turning the engine from a masterpiece into scrap.

Transported the car to the workshop and the search for a donor engine started. Finding a proper replacement engine proved to be harder than expected, much harder. It appeared that more M113.99... engines suffered from the same problem. Eventually found one hidden deep in Germany, M113.995 from a former R230, it was taken apart already and stored like a jigsaw puzzle in multiple storage bins.

Once returned to the homebase started removing the original engine and gearbox, taking the engine apart. Gearbox was stored. Cleaning all parts of both engines to find out which parts were re-usable and it showed to be quite a difference from the M116/ 117 engines I am used to work with. Luckily I have the WIS at hand to guide me along the path of rebuilding.
Sent the lower block of the new engine for cleaning and measuring of the cylinder bores. Found that the block was in a good reusable state, so the light at the end of the tunnel was lit.
The worn parts were ordered, bearings/ seals etc etc. Nearly €2000 on parts alone was spent and the rebuild got on the way.

Since my agenda is is quite full I have to squeeze in the rebuild of the engine but got it so far that the engine was mated with the car again, gearbox was flushed, filter and gasket changed, electrical connector on gearbox changed, kompressor oil was changed( had it on the workbench so was an easy swap).

Last Wednesday started the engine up for the first time and boy was I nervous! Questions came up like: is everything in like the WIS stated? Is everything torqued according specs? shouldn't we check the connecting rod bolts one more time? Is this in? Is that in? blabla blabla blabla
Anyway, got into the car turned the key over and cranked her up. The car didn't start up right away but made it after a couple of attempts.

A sigh of relief escaped from my mouth, couldn't help yelling like a proper cowboy once the engine was idling like a kitten.

For now a lot of bits and bobs need to be installed to finish all works off. After that I will take the car out for a spin.

Keep you posted
Attached some pics of the progress so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wednesday two weeks ago it was time, time to put the fire in the hole. Cranked her up, started her and she ran smooth. Couple small oil leaks were noticed/ solved plus a vacuum leak which caused the engine to run high in revs. All is solved now and the first few meters have been covered( driven out of the workshop to the parkinglot). Coming Wednesday the car goes up for a MOT just to find out what else needs doing. After that it's time to Power On!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts