Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2004 w211, E500 4matic wagon
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi-- This is my first post, and I want to say, first, thanks to all for the library of knowledge that has accumulated here. It has been very helpful as I get used to this car...got it 5 months ago. Prior to that, had a 1992 W124 300E 4matic for 9 years.

Trying, today, to fix rear windshield washer. When turned on, it does not spray, but just dribbles a bit of fluid. Attempting to clean the nozzle with wire does not help.

Removing the nozzle from the hose that supplies it with fluid, and then running the pump, yields a copious flow, so, the pump, and the plumbing, are all in order.

I put in a NEW nozzle today, and that one liberates NO water at all. I can think of no explanation other than that the new one is defective. Am I missing anything in my thinking?

Also, the pair of wires to the nozzle...this is for a HEATER, correct...it is not a flow valve of any sort? If it IS a flow valve, then I have to start testing for electrical problems.

TIA,

Mike
Bethel, CT USA

·
Registered
2004 E-320 4-Matic Wagon
2 Posts
Nozzle problem

Hi, I have an E-320 4Matic wagon and had the same issue, it turns out there is a plastic union fitting placed just above the Command stereo system on the right side rear of the car above the factory subwoofer and Sirius module (if equipped) if you open up the spare tire area and see washer fluid....there's your problem. it is a quick fix, I also added two small zip ties as id popped off again a month later. fortunately nothing was damaged by getting wet. good luck.

·
Registered
2004 w211, E500 4matic wagon
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Scott - I have replaced the windshield washer nozzle, a second time, and I am back to having the little dribble from it that I had before I started, not a spray.

I don't see any fluid in the back of the car, but I'm not sure I looked where you are describing. I took out the spare tire, and there is a plastic insert that actually forms the spare tire well, and it was not clear how to remove that. If there was water, I guess it would be under that... at any rate, I did not see any. To the right of the spare tire well, the only equipment that I see is the battery. I don't have Sirius radio, and don't know if I have a subwoofer, but I did not recognize one. I have the Logic & Harmon Kardon sound system. Is there somewhere else I should be looking? If you could post a drawing or photo, I would be grateful.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

·
Registered
'98 SL500, '05 E320 S4 wagon
72 Posts
REAR windshield washer problem

Was this problem ever solved? I have the same problem as described in 2009, now it's 2016.
1. The pump runs when commanded.
2. The fluid runs while the hose is DISCONNECT from the nozzle.
3. I bought a new nozzle.
4. Fluid dribbles from the new nozzle ... at best.
Thanks for your thoughts in advance.
John

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thank you, benzworld!

With konigstiger's response(see photo) it was easy to solve the problem.
The fluid supply line's male/female fitting had become loose. The result was loss of pressure and fluid.
Like Scott48, I secured each side of the fitting with tie straps. Subsequent tests of the rear windshield washer were successful.
Once the interior panel was removed, the time to fix was 1 hour.
sparkoda

·
Registered
72 Posts
End of story

PS
I returned the unused nozzle, A 211 850 80 47, to Ken Garff MB of Salt Lake City with NO restocking fee.
Time and education were FREE.
sparkoda

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same issue. MB service told me that I need to replace entire rear nozzle assembly which costs me $400. It looks like a very common problem. Thank you for the information.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just a thank you note...same problem saved me taking the nozzle apart and was able to identify and fix it in 5 minutes. Note no fluid was in the spare area and everything seemed dry. I’m assuming with the connection completely disconnected there was no suction to pull fluid. Anyhow thanks again!!

·
Registered
87 Mercedes 300 SDL, 95 s320, 97 e420 (grandma's), 2004 E500 4matic wagon advantgarde
339 Posts
I had the same problem. I didn't know how the rear wiper worked. Found out, and discovered that I had the same problem... Got her fixed in about 3 minutes. Thanks!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts