Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 E320 i would like to upgrade to a Command system. Ive contacted numerous dealers and they are telling me it can't be done and, if they did do it the car is not wire so they have to re-wire the whole car. I have heard diffrently someone please tell if i can or can't.

·
Registered
My Benz: 04 S430
1,219 Posts
Of course!!! You can do anything to your car you want. You just have to know how. There are many post on this forum about adding Comand to the 2003 w211. you can search the articles and get all of the information you need.

Forget about ANY dealer doing this kind of work for you. They only know how to say "it can't be done" because that's all they know how to say. This kind of modifications is completely outside of the scope of their interest so don't waste your time with them.

YOu will find out that how hard it is depends on the build date of your car, and what it actually came with. You will only know this by looking behind the drivers side trunk liner for certain compnents or wires to see if they are already installed.

Some cars were prewired for NAv and some were not. BUT it is possible to upgrade.
Comands are all over Ebay, or you can contact Mbenznl.com for options.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
11,213 Posts
A little more- For information on retrofits, see Mercedes Electronics upgrades, installation and retrofits and follow the links. The '03 W211 is equipped with a MOST fiber optic bus, so you should be able to add the DVD based COMAND system. The links will give you part numbers and retrofit info.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info but, could you also tell me the other accessories I need besides the Command Unit and the Nav module.

·
Registered
2003 C320 Sedan, 1992 400e sedan
302 Posts
you need a few other parts such as a GPS splitter and bracket. email me if you need anything. [email protected]

·
Registered
2003 CL55 AMG
19 Posts
Hello,
Do you know if a Command Module can be replaced with Comman Aps Module? I have a MY2003 CL with the CD based Nav System, how hard will it be to replace it with a MY2004+ DVD based System? Is it too much work?

Thanks,

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
11,213 Posts
mjkusa said:
Hello,
Do you know if a Command Module can be replaced with Comman Aps Module? I have a MY2003 CL with the CD based Nav System, how hard will it be to replace it with a MY2004+ DVD based System? Is it too much work?

Thanks,
The CD-based Nav systems were used with cars with the Digital Data Bus (D2B) fiber optic system. The DVD systems are used in cars equipped with the MOST bus fiber optics. Replacing the CD-based COMAND also means replacing the fiber optic bus and all of the electronics associated with it (Tele-Aid, phone, voice control, audio, etc). - and in some cases, adding additional components for the audio system.

Sunman has done this in several cars - but with the labor (removing and replacing fiber optic harnesses in the trunk, under body panels, behind the dashboard) and all the electronic boxes, it is a very expensive proposition.

·
Registered
Mercedes 270 CDI ( W211 )
1 Posts
Hi Friend,
I have just did the upgrade 5 weeks agò, I have all the info that you need.

My MB W211, was with the Head Unit Audio 20 ( Radio-CD no Tape ), and I have upgrated to Command with DVD. It works perfect.

I had install:

Head Unit ,
Audio Gateway
Nav DVD Driver,
adapter cables.

The original wiring has not been modified, but just add those cables.
I got all materials from e.bay, and some from NavisWorld dealer.

The operation cost about 1800 €, and there are 4 hours of work.

Do not esitate to contact me.

·
Registered
2003 Mercedes Benz E 320
10 Posts
I have 2003 E 320 in the US in Alabama that came with the casset and CD palyer witht he CD changer I have retrofitted A 211 820 41 97 001 with DVD navi module: A 220 820 60 85 004. However the Display on the head unit does not come on. I can play the radio through the steering wheel, IT shows the name of the channels and the song the radio station is playing but I cant get the display to show anything. I can't even turn he radio off. I have installed the DVD navigation drive wich powers up when I first plug it up them it acts liek it is dead. I need the antenna splitter I guess.. Any help will be appriciated.
Mike

·
Registered
2003 E320
1 Posts
HOW TO?

Hi All,

I am fairly new to the forum, although I've owned a Mercedes Benz since 1999.

I'm looking to (finally) upgrade the Comand HU on my 2003 E320 W211 Sedan.

I am hoping to do this on my own, as I am pretty good, but everything I'm reading is starting to scare me off.

Still, given the upcoming changes affecting driving with a mobile devices, I would prefer to take the steps to replace the unit.

So, here is what I am asking from the forum followers.

1- suggested HU replacement?
2- any DiY information available and where?
3- any other parts, pieces needed
4- any other information/help or direction?

Thanks to all for your help

Nickolas

1 - 11 of 11 Posts