Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kind of sad...............there are 26 W210s within 25 miles of me at Pick and Pull.

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
3,241 Posts
Yep, these are the fate of old MB. High repair costs, plus the perceived MB reliability has made it so that demand has fallen off a cliff. Right now W210 is pretty much at the bottom of depreciation....I mean, you can find and buy complete cars, running cars, for $1000-2000 all day long.

You can't say the same for any Camry of the same year. Or E39 BMW for that matter.

Give it a couple years, and the remaining surviving W210 will start to appreciate because supply dries up. We're already seeing this with W126 and some of the more desirable W201 models (sportlines, diesels, 2.3-16v's). W124 400E and 500E are starting to appreciate too.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah..........my 2010 Honda Accord is probably worth more than all three of my MBs :(

·
3,241 Posts
There was one couple months ago! Granted, 1996 E300....but there was one!

·
Registered
35,772 Posts
Probably becouse the blade keys become obsolete
You will find exceptions to everything and W124 drivetrain in W210 raincoat is a sample. That's why I bet 10 not a 100 ;)
Amazing that even I could not live with 1997 diesel performance, other owners keep them appreciated.
Currently I am on the market for Sprinter bus and 5 yo models with 250,000 miles sell for 60-70% of sticker price :mad:
I am on the edge of getting rid of sedan and buy new bus. 15 passengers and 30 mpg has lot of potential.

·
3,241 Posts
Why sprinters though? They are a giant pile of shit. I mean, even a E350 is literally 10x better than that. If you want a diesel that badly, go for the E250-E350 with the 7.3 IDI or the later one with bulletproofed 6.7.

I need a new truck (sold my ram ages ago) so currently shopping for a F250. It's surprising how many 7.3's I can find for under $5000. Granted, work truck....glorified commuters still command 10k+. And don't even get me started on cummins Ram.

·
Registered
35,772 Posts
Some of the Sprinters were build by Fiat in the past and that's what made bad wrap, not even coming to old issue than US mechanics never learn how to service small diesels.
But when you see vehicle with 250k still selling for over 60% of its sticker, you can tell that those who use them - really appreciate them.
I tried to buy one on Copart with front damage. It still generated such high price, that calculating Copart and dealer commissions, it would come to outrageous price.
The OM651 engine is a marvel, who not only can deliver 30 mpg in the bus (60 mpg in my sedan), have found 1 with 640k miles on the bus and worse come to worse, new replacements are sold for $7k.
Very easy to work on.
What I am bringing shows how much technology changed since the time W210 hit the market.
Now new cars offer humongous difference in engine performance. bluetooth, while live traffic navi is great help in driving around.
Not even saying lane keeping assistance and braking assistance.
I am still checking the market for self-driving model.

·
Registered
345 Posts
there were a couple annoying things on my '98 e430 that had to wait until the advent of w210's at pick-n-pull;

a missing plastic cover for the center rear seatbelt receiver, replacing the built in phone with a cubby & hell, even a cheap bosch maf to keep in reserve. i'm happy to have this resource, i only hope this supply of donor cars lasts as long as my car...

i'm sad for our planet we're such a throw away society...

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There was one couple months ago! Granted, 1996 E300....but there was one!
Lol..........was that the one in Newark? I watched it get slowly stripped to the bones.

I was kind of surprised to see it there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ive bought parts for all 12 of my previous and currently ownrd Mercedes at a Pick n Pull place. Its 100% oem parts at a fraction of the dealership. Also, u get the part now, no wait. It also helps keep the bill lower for my clients who have bought Mercedes from me when they need repair.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts