Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
SL350
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2000 W210 Wagon/Estate and just recently I started to notice that after I wash the car or in very heavy rain, water drips onto the rear tonneau/load cover.

Anybody else have this problem and what it might possibly be?

I took the seal off and cleaned up any debris or gunk that had gathered up, I also cleaned the tracks there too. But still noticed water getting in today.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
Have 2000 CLK320 soft top,W210s replaced with rare'11 Turbo 9-5NG (only 500 imported) , '07 9-7x.
156 Posts
Did you ever get this resolved? I have the same issue that i can't resolve. Sunroof drains are not the issue on mine, i can place hose on low in track for 30 min with no leak and water coming out of all four drains.

·
Registered
'02 E320 4matic Wagon
326 Posts
If the water is on th load cover, I would suspect the antenna on the roof. The little rubber tip or the base gasket.

·
Registered
Have 2000 CLK320 soft top,W210s replaced with rare'11 Turbo 9-5NG (only 500 imported) , '07 9-7x.
156 Posts
My 98 wagon has sunroof and rails only on the roof. I have ruled out sun roof leak since i opened the sunroof placed a garden hose on low for 25 minutes in the track an watched all the water go out all 4 drains an not a single drop appeared in the car. But when i rains hard water pours in the back. Must be roof rails, correct? I don't want to drop headliner again, so has anyone had any luck putting a thin bead of silicone sealer along roof rails? What is the best way to fix roof rail leaks.?:confused:

·
Registered
2005 W215 CL500
3,581 Posts
My 98 wagon has sunroof and rails only on the roof. I have ruled out sun roof leak since i opened the sunroof placed a garden hose on low for 25 minutes in the track an watched all the water go out all 4 drains an not a single drop appeared in the car. But when i rains hard water pours in the back. Must be roof rails, correct? I don't want to drop headliner again, so has anyone had any luck putting a thin bead of silicone sealer along roof rails? What is the best way to fix roof rail leaks.?:confused:
Roof rails, of course, should not leak.

So, rather than patch them up with silicone, the answer would be to detect which side is leaking, then completely remove, clean and reseat, with new gaskets.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Roof rails, of course, should not leak.

So, rather than patch them up with silicone, the answer would be to detect which side is leaking, then completely remove, clean and reseat, with new gaskets.
Ended up using high flow silicone even though your suggestion is the best method. Removing headliner is very intensive to do! I have already dropped it twice, once to replace with suede liner & once to fix leak and clear tubes that i thought were clogged. Micro bead of silcone is near impossible to see and this 5minute fix worked perfect during severe rain storm yesterday. Thanks for the reply, hope this info helps the person who started this post. This was indeed a hard leak to find.

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
Water flows from high to low. The roof lines, the sunroof, the roof antenna, the trunk lines are the areas higher than the trunk. You can isolate each suspected area by covering it with "clingwrap". It's the clear plastic for food but clings very well to the car surface, and it seals off the area. Be generous in using it. A box costs only $1-$2. Isolate each area, do the car wash as you normally do then look in trunk.

·
Registered
2002 E320 4Matic Wagon
7 Posts
I have a 2000 W210 Wagon/Estate and just recently I started to notice that after I wash the car or in very heavy rain, water drips onto the rear tonneau/load cover.

Anybody else have this problem and what it might possibly be?

I took the seal off and cleaned up any debris or gunk that had gathered up, I also cleaned the tracks there too. But still noticed water getting in today.

Any thoughts?
OLD THREAD resurrection...

I have the same problem with a new-to-me wagon. I discovered that the water is getting in past the rear hatch seal at the top of the hatch (tailgate, liftgate) where it meets the roof. I pulled off the door seal and ran a bead of form-a-gasket along the metal lip and pressed the seal back on. but it still is leaking.

not sure if a new seal will do the job, or just add more form-a-gasket?

Anyone else with experience care to add their wisdom?

·
Registered
1998 E300TD
430 Posts
How do you know it's coming from there, and not from somewhere farther forward and running down the headliner? I assume you see water dripping from the top of the hatch.

Just got a wagon myself, still getting out of province repairs so haven't even gotten it wet yet!

·
Registered
2002 E320 4Matic Wagon
7 Posts
How do you know it's coming from there, and not from somewhere farther forward and running down the headliner? I assume you see water dripping from the top of the hatch.

Just got a wagon myself, still getting out of province repairs so haven't even gotten it wet yet!
Ran a garden hose from just forward of the hatch/roof seam. And saw water dripping in. I tried spraying at the antenna base too, but I just replaced that last night. That seems to be fine.

Hey, you're in vancouver too? So am I... :)

·
Registered
1998 E300TD
430 Posts
Well then, when I get my wagon, we shall have to meet up!

Sounds like you have it pretty narrowed down, and either the seal has shrunk and it's not filling the gap adequately, or there is a tear/kink/hole in it. Sorry, I'll be more help when I actually have a wagon I can look at!

·
Registered
2002 E320 4Matic Wagon
7 Posts
Well, I just added a lazy ghetto repair for now... Shot a bead of silicone sealant along the base of the seal. Will test tomorrow.

·
Registered
2002 E320 4Matic Wagon
7 Posts
Seems like the water is getting in over the seal between the seal and the hatch. Might need a new seal/gasket then, but can't find an online parts retailer that carries it.

Maybe it's a not a huge deal because the flow of water literally has to fill in the entire gap to reach the top of the seal before it leaks... Will have to monitor and see then. At least I know the source of the leak.

·
Registered
W210 E320 CDI 2001
5 Posts
Hello,

I have the same problem !

W210 of 91, wagon.

[/url][/IMG]

The leaks are very important !

Have you find solutions?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts