Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friendly MB people!

I bought a new car, its w210 E 320 CDI T Avantgarde -2001 with 145kw :) So, first thing I wanted to do was to get some winter tires on. I had my 15" rims from my 4matic and bought brand new winter tires on them. They guys started to put them on, when I noticed that the rim was sitting on too tight.. On closer look, it turned out that the wheel doesn't even move, since its polted tight to the brake caliber... (Actually then I also noticed, that the car already had winter tires, when I bought the car..) Since Estonian roads suck big time and 145kw is no slow car, I think, I hit a road pump.. So anyways one of the tires is in a bad condition and others are generally used..

I started wondering now.. does w210 is really min. 16" car or I should try some other 15" rim? These are the rims, that dint fit: http://kopli.pri.ee/img/kalle/mymb/18.jpg I heard they are originally from C class?! But I have also these: http://kopli.pri.ee/img/kalle/mymb/7.jpg

Thanks in advance,
Kalle.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
16" is minimum 210 wheel diameter for exactly the reason you notice. Hopefully nothing was damaged in the torquing of the wheel and jamming the caliper.

Just a thought, but for future reference, before you spend money on changing something from stock come search or ask first. It may save you time and money.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
You should not go down from 16" to 15" for winter tires. However, some people advise going a little narrower. For example going from the 215 width to 205.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You should not go down from 16" to 15" for winter tires. However, some people advise going a little narrower. For example going from the 215 width to 205.
Why so? I thought, that smaller rim and more tire for winter is better. At least for my 4matic, I want 15", since I can mess with the tirepressure to get out of "sticky situations" like that.

But why narrower? Wide = grip, doesnt it?

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Why so? I thought, that smaller rim and more tire for winter is better. At least for my 4matic, I want 15", since I can mess with the tire pressure to get out of "sticky situations" like that. But why narrower? Wide = grip, doesnt it?
Yes it would seem so and I have never done that. I'm sorry but I don't remember the physics behind that advice but it never convinced me. I am lucky because I have 2 other cars, both FWD, so if ice and/or snow is on the ground, the RWD Mercedes is under the carport.

·
Registered
2000 e320 4matic
3,401 Posts
narrow tires cut through snow and slush better than wide.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
How does a 15" tire provide more options for tire pressure? That's a complete non sequitur. It's also irrelevant since you can't put a 15" wheel on the 210 front end.

If you are in snow conditions that are not hardpack, narrower tires will drop into the snow instead of floating on top of it. Down in the snow improves traction.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I see. Well I knew the cutting part, however there is not that much snow here. More waterly-crap.. So Im thinking, that wider rim would still be better choice.

Still, I got my answer.. Yet, I saw some w210's with 15" rims. Even yet, it was 2000 and above version ?!:S

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
Are you trying to bypass the W/S switch, ASR (Automatic Slip Control), ESP (Electronic Stability Program) with less rubber and smaller wheels?
If I recall, W/S = Winter/Sport. In W, the car starts in 2nd gear.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you trying to bypass the W/S switch, ASR (Automatic Slip Control), ESP (Electronic Stability Program) with less rubber and smaller wheels?
If I recall, W/S = Winter/Sport. In W, the car starts in 2nd gear.
No. I just have new winter tires in wrong inches and was hoping, that some other 15" will fit. Its out of question now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts