Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everybody . . What a resource to be able to interact with!

So, I'm tweaking on my 2001 e320 wagon I just acquired and one of the things that has cropped up is that while the central locking works on ALL doors when UNLOCKING, the TAILGATE won't LOCK. I can lock it manually by opening the tailgate after centrally locking all the doors; also, it does seem like it's "trying" to lock when I use the key fob but the button just doesn't move and engage the lock. I'm wondering if it doesn't just need some lubrication or if there isn't something binding that I could do something about without having to replace a bunch of stuff. Any Mercedes Central Locking Experts out there?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick pickup . . No, it will UNLOCK with central locking (after having to LOCK IT MANUALLY) but it just won't LOCK with central locking. Like I said, it sounds like it's trying to move but just doesn't get to the locked position. That means with all doors have locked centrally, I can walk over to the tailgate and open it at which time I manually lock the tailgate.

Hope that's clearer . .

·
Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
6,940 Posts
Possibly a vacuum issue with the lock actuator of the tailgate. Vacuum pressure unlocks the trunk / tailgate lock, and presumably vacuum application locks the tailgate. Sometimes the actuator cracks, and works one way and leaks air in the other way.

You can do a vacuum / pressure test if you have a vacuum pressure pump handy from the PSE (the electrical vacuum / pressure pump under the rear seat).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That makes sense . . I'm going to take it to my mechanic whose a long time Mercedes tech and suggest he start there.

Thanks for the direction. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, closing the loop on this one . . My mechanic described (and repaired) my "tailgate lock vacuum pod" which I'm guessing is what you called the "lock actuator." Anyway, the part was $21 but the labor to get into the door was about an hour. Thank you again for your guidance.
That makes sense . . I'm going to take it to my mechanic whose a long time Mercedes tech and suggest he start there.

·
Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
6,940 Posts
I am glad it worked out for you. Thanks for reporting back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts