Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1996 W210 E Class 230 Estate Car (Petrol)
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All.
My car is now running well but I have turned my attentions to a new potential problem. I got two keys when I bought the car. Both look identical but one will remotely open the car and start the engine fine, the other one which I am calling the spare will remotely open the car and start it but as soon as the engine starts to run it cuts out and the spare key then only turns the engine and it will not start.
So my question is this, do I need to carry out a procedure to code the spare key back with the car? Is there anything else I can do to get the spare key working properly? Or is there no hope for this key and should I consider the purchase of a new one from Merc?
If anybody has any knowledge to share on the subject of these keys I would be very grateful for any help.
Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
E300TD 1997 W210 Running on WVO and a % of dino...
1,206 Posts
Have you open it and look at the coil at the end? Sometimes it break at the welding and need re soldering. Might just be a bad connection in the coil.
A quick look should tell you.
Hope it work.
Olivier

·
Registered
E-Class 300 TD 1998, E-Cllass 290 TDi 1996, 601 DKB 1982(207D)
117 Posts
It has happend to me once when my spare key dropped on the pavement that it had fallen apart into bits and pieces....unfortunately I forgot to put in the most important part....the transponder which unlocks the unlocking of the engine......it is a black device glued into the key near to the point where the key rotates.. if you do not have this any more...it is a big change that this has happened to the previous owner.
The only solution is a new key then.

Alternatively you could check if the key and car can be matched again, this procedure is neccesary when batteries are changed.
-Open the car.
-Aim the key on the receiver in the inside rear-mirror
- Press the button twice
- Put the key into the contact into position 2 within 30 seconds.
Done....

Cheers,
Ingmar

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to respond Olivier and Ingmar. Had another look at the key but I can't see anything that looks like a coil inside. Looking at the casing the only part I can see which looks to have been glued in is a small rectangular strip just inboard of the red window the mechanism looks out through, is this the transponder you talk about Ingmar? Does anybody have a picture which shows the transponder as I can't compare the spare and main keys inside as I recently superglued the main key back together.
I tried the procedure you outlined Ingmar but it did not make any difference, still not starting the car.
Once again thank you for your help.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,194 Posts
I had the same issue on ML that was still having blade key.
The local Service adviser told me that transponder "just died"
I still don't know how a chip can die, but had to shave money for new key regardless.
I know that latest years key are factory programmed. Not even a dealer will program replacement key.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Redmerc,

I still have a key lying around somewhere in my garage, which is in exploded view so to say, if I can find it tonight I (CET) will post a pic.

Regards,
Ingmar

·
Registered
E300TD 1997 W210 Running on WVO and a % of dino...
1,206 Posts
here is the coil at the end. Might be a different key style you have? The 2 dot at the end are the welfing where the copper is attach.
Any help?

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
That is the same key FBS3 that I have for my E300 1998, but I also own a 1996 E290, which has a flip-key...that is the key I amreferring to with the loose transponder.

Cheers,
Ingmar

·
Registered
117 Posts
This is the key I referred to as flip-key on my 1996 E290 W210, in the part of the lid where the switch is, there is a tiny part of plastic normally glued in that disengages the anti-theft locking system...I lost it and the key only opens the car.

Cheers
Ingmar

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello Olivier and Ingmar and thank you both for going to the bother of photographing your keys. The key you picture, Oliver, is the more modern type which I had on a couple of previous Mercs and has never given me any bother but thanks again for your efforts.
My key is of the flip type you have pictured Ingmar. I can see straight away that your key is missing a small black plastic piece which sits over the little post in the middle of the bottom half of the casing. I still have this piece in my spare key so I guess the chip inside must have "died" as Kajtek has suggested. I can't work out how this could happen either but I guess I just have to live with it and consider if I really want to pay for a new key...
Thank you all very much for your help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts