Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there all,

I've been a passive member on this site for some time now, searching for the questions I've had and learning useful information. After a quick search, my most recent question's answer had not been found, and my question is this:

Can you swap a 1999-2002 and up Becker (non-navigation) head unit from a w210 into a 1996-1998 w210 with ease? The newer head unit is much improved in my opinion, as I'm sure it is in many of yours as well.

This head unit is also found in w202's and I believe the first generation M-class, from 1999 on of course as that's when it was introduced.

Thanks for the helpful responses in advance,

Daddio

·
Registered
461 Posts
Hey there all,

I've been a passive member on this site for some time now, searching for the questions I've had and learning useful information. After a quick search, my most recent question's answer had not been found, and my question is this:

Can you swap a 1999-2002 and up Becker (non-navigation) head unit from a w210 into a 1996-1998 w210 with ease? The newer head unit is much improved in my opinion, as I'm sure it is in many of yours as well.

This head unit is also found in w202's and I believe the first generation M-class, from 1999 on of course as that's when it was introduced.

Thanks for the helpful responses in advance,

Daddio

NO, W210 from 1996-98 used copper wiring for radio, from 1999-2002, MB turn to fiber optic wiring, not compatible for early year at all.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Darn, I really wish it was possible. Thanks for the quick and descriptive reply explaining why it would not work.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So basically the answer is no, it's not an easy swap. But what about a complex swap? Could you replace the copper wiring around the car with the new type of wiring used in 1999+ Mercedes-Benz vehicles using the upgraded head unit (W202, W210, W163) and have it work properly? Or is there something preventing the wires from being replaced/upgraded or even a compatibility issue?

Thanks guys for the help,

·
Registered
470 Posts
Well, to add to the answers, you can do anything to these cars really. It might mean swapping the entire system and some custom work, but it could be a HUGE mess if you don't have experience working on both systems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts