Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
SL500, ML320, E320
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At a mid to high $30's price point, it would seem we might get close to an `03 E320....but with all the concerns expressed in this forum about reliability and quality control issues, are we better off to find a pristine `02 W210 ?

We drove the new `06 E350 yesterday and it was great-- but my wife's a realtor that puts 20k+ miles on each year and we're unwilling to spring for a new one. We feel we're better off to buy one that's 1-2 years old and coming off lease with all books and records.

This forum has kinda spooked us on the 211 body.

Consensus and comments please?
Thanks-

·
Registered
E320 W211
64 Posts
If you can find a 04 you might have better luck with reliability. Due to the arrival of 06 E350 dealers have been discounting the 05 E320 heavily, which I'm sure would affect the 04 resale value as well. As a matter of fact I saw a new 04 E500 on the dealer lot that was discounted $10K right off the bat, still with plenty of room to negotiate. Granted this was a month ago, but deals like these can be found. Just need to do a little shopping around.

·
Registered
SL500, ML320, E320
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BUYCHEAP:
Thanks for your response. As is the case in your market, both dealerships and private parties are pretty proud of their pre-owned W211's with the 04's still in the mid $40's - - about $10k more than we're willing to invest given the number of miles the car will see each year in the real estate biz.

We looked at an `03-320 for mid-$30's at a local high-line reseller that was listed as a "buy-back" because of "audio problems" - - not sure whether there were issues with the stereo or if something in the driveline just didn't sound right! Most other `03's with under 30k miles are at the $40k mark or more.

Since the reliability question seems to be something of a mixed bag, I think the hunt for a pristine, low mileage `02- potentially under $30k- may make the best sense. Then we should be able to easily jump to the E350 in a couple of years.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Regards-

1 - 4 of 4 Posts