Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I got a low coolant level warning in my w210 that still has the m104 engine.

When I checked, the reservoir was empty, and I noticed what seemed like a gold sparkly powder lining some of the reservoir.

I was able to scrap some off with my finger, and it was literally like 14k gold sludge of some sort.

I am sure this is something bad. It runs fine, doesn't run hot, and only has 125k miles on it.

Any advice for me? I appreciate any help!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So this is a sign of cooling system sealant? I purchased the car about a year ago from a one-owner. Even had it checked out by Mercedes before purchasing. Think I was scammed?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car sat for about 10 years before being sold. I have attached photos. The car isn't running warm at all and drove all through the summer just fine.

·
Premium Member
5,644 Posts
You had sufficient coolant in the system, and now you have a warning. If you do not find where the leakage is and fix it, you will have problems with overheating sooner or later.

Flush the system several times and do a pressure test with a radiator pressure teeter with the correct adapter.

Hopefully it is not a start of a head gasket issue. These engines are known to have this problem.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will do. I am hoping it is not a head gasket issue or worse. If I do determine what the leak is, and fix it, should I also do a MB acid flush too? What would I do to reverse the sludge situation?

·
Premium Member
5,644 Posts
Well find and fix the leak first. If the radiator is leaking you need to replace the radiator anyway. If the engine is not overheating, I would not get into citric acid treatment. Just running with distilled water till nothing sludge comes out and then put 50/50 coolant + distilled water. Make sure that the heater is turned on fully when cleaning the system with distilled water.

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
3,243 Posts
Do you have oil leaks of any kind?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts