Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
2001 E240
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Normally insert the key, turn to position 3 and engine starts - just a flick without having to hold the key a second. Now, out of every 10 ignition attempts, at least 1 or 2 times I could expect a delay, having to hold the key a bit longer till the engine starts. Either I keep holding the key or if I release the key the cranking carries on and in 6-7 seconds the engine starts. Is this symptomatic of any faulty part?

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
...Also for this kind of sensor, it dies instantaneously like a light bulb or it drags over a period of time misfunctioning before it completely dies?
I missed this earlier; first of all, we have not determined that you have a faulty sensor but in my opinion the CPS guess is reasonable. For sensors in general most act up before they fail completely.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Are you registered to MBHK.org? Ask them to refer you, they are my source too. Change CPS yourself is manageable. Can you also click the user cp link and fill up the info there? Thank you.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
CPS is simple DIY and like so much else about the 210, it is up in the stickies at the top of this forum.

On the sparse info provided that could be CPS, particularly if it is more troublesome when the engine is hot.

Once you click the user cp link then to your profile just fill out vehicle and location panes.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts

·
Registered
2001 E240
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
OK additional details....
year: 2001
model: E240
Milage: 46000 km
Battery: strong
Engine: runs awesome
Service history: should be good

What do you think is behind this start delay?
Any additional thoughts?
Need a 2nd or 3rd opinion.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
What do you think is behind this start delay?
Any additional thoughts?
Need a 2nd or 3rd opinion.
You were given 3 opinions and all were your CPS. Sure, it might be something else but it's usually best to start with the simplest, least expensive and/or the most likely fix.

·
Registered
03 E320 4M Wagon & 97 E320
3,926 Posts
Just for clarification. Is the "delay" you mentioned between your turn of the key and the rotation of the starter or between the rotation of the starter and start of the engine?

Another way for me to ask is that does the starter turn immediately after you turn the key?

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
Just for clarification. Is the "delay" you mentioned between your turn of the key and the rotation of the starter or between the rotation of the starter and start of the engine? Another way for me to ask is that does the starter turn immediately after you turn the key?
That's a good question loubapache and I'm sure his answer would narrow the problem down further. It sounds like to me that the delay occurs between the beginning of the starter rotatation and when it starts. Perhaps a further complicating factor is the somewhat obvious language barrier.

Zaxler also did not comment on Greg's implicit question that the CPS is more likely to be the cause if it happens more often when the engine is warm.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
I had the same symptoms a couple of years ago and I also thought it was the CPS which I replaced. It turned out to be a dying seven year old battery! Hope that helps. Cheers
Franasia,

As you read his posts, were your symptoms identical to his? If your battery was dying wouldn't it still start the car but the cranking was slower than normal thus causing a delay? Maybe he needs to provide some more details but I don't see where he mentioned that.

·
Registered
2000 4Matic Estate E320S4 210.282
824 Posts
Franasia,

As you read his posts, were your symptoms identical to his? If your battery was dying wouldn't it still start the car but the cranking was slower than normal thus causing a delay? Maybe he needs to provide some more details but I don't see where he mentioned that.
Musikmann

The cranking was not slower, but there was a delay when the key was turned - nothing happened - but when I would let the key go it would start like magic - usually when cold. I never had any other indication that made me suspect the battery. This went on for months until it died at a shopping center's parking lot and had Mercedes roadside assistance come to the rescue with a gorgeous new battery.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
Musikmann

The cranking was not slower, but there was a delay when the key was turned - nothing happened - but when I would let the key go it would start like magic - usually when cold. I never had any other indication that made me suspect the battery. This went on for months until it died at a shopping center's parking lot and had Mercedes roadside assistance come to the rescue with a gorgeous new battery. Cheers
Hmm, sounds like an odd battery symptom to me but I am not one of the experts here. Failing batteries quite often make MILs pop up. To me, your symptom sounds more like something in the EIS. Thanks for your additional information, I learn new things every day. ;)

·
Registered
2001 E240
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Just for clarification. Is the "delay" you mentioned between your turn of the key and the rotation of the starter or between the rotation of the starter and start of the engine?

Another way for me to ask is that does the starter turn immediately after you turn the key?

Delay is between rotation of starter and start of engine. Never any delay between turn of key and rotation of starter. I have to keep holding the key and it will start in 6-7 seconds. If I release the key it will keep rotating for 6-7 seconds and engine will start automatically. Never been unable to start. Never any stall. This happens 2 out of every 10 start attempts, and normally when I return from lunch to start the car, after the car was started fine, driven for 30 minutes and been parked for 2 hours. Never it happens in the morning start.

Speed / sound of rotation is strong, so I wouldn't suspect the battery, which definitely won't be over 2 years old. So what do you think is the culprit?

·
Registered
03 E320 4M Wagon & 97 E320
3,926 Posts
Delay is between rotation of starter and start of engine. Never a delay between turn of key and rotation of starter. I have to keep holding the key and it will start in 6-7 seconds. If I release the key it will keep rotating for 6-7 seconds and engine will start automatically. Never been unable to start. Never any stall. This happens 2 out of every 10 start attempts, and normally when I return from lunch to start the car. Never it happens in the morning start.

Speed / sound of rotation is strong, so I wouldn't suspect the battery, which definitely won't be over a year old. So what do you think is the culprit?
Then I would first clean the contacts of the CPS. The moist air in HK might have caused some corrosion there. The sensor contacts might have HK feet. :D

It happened to my 03 wagon and I actually got a code for CPS. I unplugged the connector and used electric parts cleaner to clean both the plug and the sensor contacts. It has been two years and my new CPS is still in my car, waiting to be installed any moment if the original CPS fails.

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350
1,133 Posts
The car has very low mileage for 8 years old.... does it have the original battery and fuel filter?

If it does, I would put in a new battery, fuel filter and a bottle of 3M Super Concentrate Fuel Injector cleaner.

Good Luck... :)

·
Registered
2001 E240
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Then I would first clean the contacts of the CPS. The moist air in HK might have caused some corrosion there. The sensor contacts might have HK feet. :D

It happened to my 03 wagon and I actually got a code for CPS. I unplugged the connector and used electric parts cleaner to clean both the plug and the sensor contacts. It has been two years and my new CPS is still in my car, waiting to be installed any moment if the original CPS fails.

Thanks....but you don't suspect the electronic ignition switch at all? If only the contacts in the CPS then most likely the mechanic would advise me to change a new CPS as this is already a 8 year old car and the labor charge for cleaning and replacing is the same in Hong Kong.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts