Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes-Benz 420 SEL(RIP),1997 Mercedes-Benz E420
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This project took me about a day to complete, mainly because specs of dirt kept sealing itself into the paint. So I had to sand back down and restart again for perfect appearance. Enjoy.

First off,

Materials needed
1. Black Glossy Spray Paint(color of choice)
2. Primer (color doesn't matter)
3. Phillips Screwdriver
4. Cardboard (for spraying paint)
5. Sandpaper(the tougher the better)
6. Breathing Mask
7. Latex Gloves
8. Rags

Total Job Time: Around a day or two for drying/installation

Step 1. Ensure you are in a well ventilated area with nothing around you to ensure paint doesn't spread.

Step 2. Remove the TWO screws holding the pillar in place with your phillips screwdriver.

Step 3. Slide your fingers underneath the side with the screws and PULL THE PILLER UP TOWARDS THE SKY.

Step 4. Once removed, Sand down all existing paint as you possibly can so new paint will stick properly. (USE MASK IF DESIRED FOR HEALTH REASONS)

Step 5. Wipe the existing dust off the cover with rags.

Step 6. Lay pillar on top of flat cardboard and begin spraying with Primer.
go from top to bottom starting the spray on cardboard and then moving across. **Spraying directly onto pillar could cause running.
(IMPORTANT: NO WIND so dust wont attach itself with paint/Paint doesn't spray unequally)

Step 7. After a few minutes you can start applying the black coat. Same spraying technique should be used with this paint as well.

Step 8. Let it dry for about 10 minutes in hot direct sunlight, then continue spraying until no primer can be seen.
**Will not become glossy until 5-8 coats of black glossy paint.

Step 9. Take a BREAK! Let it DRY!
**You can tell when it's dry when not even a fingerprint will show when pressing. To test, touch outer edges so damage will be minimal if its not dry yet. It should not be sticky.

Step 10. Install pillars. This is tricky to ensure minimal damage when installing patience is a virtue. Slide pillar down from the top ensuring that the edges are secured. ***This is a PAIN! there will be a white guide beneath the pillar, that seems to always get in the way.

Step 11. Fit surrounding window rubber back into place(If you decided to remove it) OR screw in the two holding screws from step 2.

Total Cost was round $20.00-$30.00 via NAPA

Attachments

·
Registered
E-ZGO 53 HP., 99 E 430 sport, 04 E55 AMG, 2008 Tahoe LTZ Sold Porsche to Brother
1,906 Posts
Good job! Fantastic improvement over the before picture. :)
Over on the E55 board they call that a "dot delet" as the E55 have a pattern of dots on the pillar.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What did you do about the rubber strips at the top of each pillar?
I'm guessing you mean the 1-2 inch, thin, rubber piece. Sorry I must have left that out of this thread. I placed them back into their position, they rest in between the pillar and the body, its tricky, but possible with another set of hands or a flathead screwdriver.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was talking about the thin piece of rubber stuck to the top of the trim piece. I outlined it in the photo.

Thanks
Im not sure I understand your question, "what do you do?" I doubt they need replacing unless they've been cut otherwise, it doesn't normally have a wear and tear effect.

·
Premium Member
2012 Mercedes Benz E350 22K Miles
216 Posts
Mine are still in good shape but this is good to know for the future. Years ago, I painted an oven range hood with black "appliance epoxy" spray paint. It took a long time to dry and cure but it looked better (an shinier) than any regular spray paint I have ever used. Do you think it would work for this application? It is also more heat resistant than regular spray paint, another plus.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mine are still in good shape but this is good to know for the future. Years ago, I painted an oven range hood with black "appliance epoxy" spray paint. It took a long time to dry and cure but it looked better (an shinier) than any regular spray paint I have ever used. Do you think it would work for this application? It is also more heat resistant than regular spray paint, another plus.
I cannot guarantee it will work, as I have never used it. If you decide to complete it with the appliance epoxy let us know how it went.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts