Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2000 W210 E55 AMG, Silver/Black - Stock
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am creating a new thread to help simplify and clarify the mystery of shocks on our cars.

This is based on my experience only but I suspect it applies in general to these cars.

Here is the bottom line on the correct shocks:

Installation tips:

0. longer shocks in the front, shorter shocks in the rear.
1. an impact gun really helps spin nuts off and on just be careful with overtightening.
2. On the front shocks, top bolts, I could not easily use the new nylon single nut lock type that came with the new shocks. It was much easier to reuse the double locking nuts found on the original shocks. The air gun easily took these down (without spinning the shock shaft) and then I just had to hand do the upper lock nut. One the rear upper, I went with the nylon nut.
3. I did not have to use twine to compress the shocks, nor did I have to support the lower arm. I did have to use a lot of muscle to compress the shock slightly to get it in on two of them (not sure why the other two went in without fuss. I am pretty strong and needed 90% of my strength.
4. The parts bags for front and back shocks are the same.
5. It was a longer and harder job than I had expected but then again I am not getting any younger either.

My impressions:

After taking my usual commute to work through LA's increasingly distressed streets, I have the say the ride is far, far better.

The handling is much crisper but at the same time, the ride quality is much better as well. Also, the car is noticeably quieter.

The car ride is far less "jouncy". It wasn't bouncy or boaty before but entering a dip or going over a speed bump, the car would whip me around quite a bit and be louder and harsher. The road imperfection would intrude into the cabin. Now it feels like a newer car. I know the bumps are there but they don't really turn into a beating in the car and I just kind of go over them.

I find it worthy to note that the traditional way of detecting bad shocks did not work in this car. The car did not boat over dips and dives. It recovered itself nicely but what did get me thinking was the tire scalloping, and much less subtle was my thinking that the cars ride quality had degraded and it was noisier in the car. It was actually, in retrospect, but I had reasoned it off at that time as more "mental". Now I see the correlation clearly.

Now that I have changed the shocks, I can clearly see that this was way, way overdue.

·
Registered
1997 S420, 2000 E55
255 Posts
I mentioned in your other thread that Bilstein has a long problem of always screwing up part numbers. Thanks for the clarifying post for the next person who needs to order.

Cheers.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
02 E55 AMG, 99 E55 AMG , 2002 Audi ar 2.7T Sold, 2008 Jeep SRT 8 Sold , 2006 TBSS Sold. The Germans
81 Posts
Nice write up I'll be doing this next, btw what's the part number for old shoe ? lol

·
W203, W210 Moderator
E55 ///AMG
6,911 Posts
I guess Bilstein changed their part numbers. It used to be, (see below) when I lowered mine before (http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e50-amg-e55-amg/1268726-lowered-finally-w210-e55.html)

BE-A058-HO rear* - FRONT ( Longer one, matches the height of the stock OEM in Front )

Be-A057-HO front *- REAR ( Shorter one, matches the height of the rear stock OEM in Rear)

Btw, I did the reuse the existing double locking nuts found on the original shocks, my mechanic told me it was better than the new nylon single nut lock type that came with the new shocks.

All done in a shop and I have to double check all the bolts and nuts after a week just to make sure before I get it properly aligned the wheel.

Where did you order your shocks and how much did you pay?

And oh don't forget to post photos!

Joe

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess Bilstein changed their part numbers. It used to be, (see below) when I lowered mine before (http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e50-amg-e55-amg/1268726-lowered-finally-w210-e55.html)

BE-A058-HO rear* - FRONT ( Longer one, matches the height of the stock OEM in Front )

Be-A057-HO front *- REAR ( Shorter one, matches the height of the rear stock OEM in Rear)

Btw, I did the reuse the existing double locking nuts found on the original shocks, my mechanic told me it was better than the new nylon single nut lock type that came with the new shocks.

All done in a shop and I have to double check all the bolts and nuts after a week just to make sure before I get it properly aligned the wheel.

Where did you order your shocks and how much did you pay?

And oh don't forget to post photos!

Joe
I got them from PartsGeek.com for $363 delivered. They were the only site that had front and back together (and the best prices). Plus they shipped from LA so I got them in one day for free shipping. :)

The double nuts are way easier to install with an impact tool for the fronts. There is little room to swing a wrench for the top front while holding the shaft tab.

·
Premium Member
1972 280CE
4,211 Posts
I'm going to need to order a pair of front shocks. Worldpac lists them as Bilstein B8 Sports Series shocks and the part # is 24-021562.

They run for about $180 + tax for the pair.

The rear are listed as Bilstein B4 touring shocks and the part # is 24-100564. These are $200 / pair

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The catalog listings are backwards. As the first post in this thread states, the fronts are the 564s and the rears are the 562s.
Therefore, if you are just ordering fronts, you need the 564s not what the catalogs list as the front.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
There are many threads on various boards on the E55 shocks and much confusion. Having to do my shocks recently, I decided I would help sort it out. According to earlier threads, if I had put them on as the catalogs state, my car would have had a steep front rake, as it did not once I had finished, and my results correlated with the results of the other threads I had referred to, I felt that sharing my conclusions in a short and simple post would help sort out the mess once and for all.

FWIW, I contacted Bilstein and they had it backwards too. Further, I am nearly certain that the shocks in my car are factory installed and by comparing relative lengths in my picture, one should wonder why all of the sudden the shorter new shocks would now go on front and the longer in the rear.

·
Premium Member
1989 560sec 6.0L AMG & Renntech
2,355 Posts
Changed my shocks this last Saturday. Only took about an hours time. What an improvement!

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
An hour for four shocks? Come on, alcohol always makes it seem quicker!

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
^^^ :rotfl: While that is true, I stay away from that stuff when I'm working. I had a lift, so it was a snap. One of the easiest shock R&R's I've done.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Your concise DIY was quite helpful I might add. Thanks for posting it :thumbsup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts