Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430
3,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A week ago, One morning I noticed a rather disturbing small river coming from my car. Since it had a bluish tinge, I was relieved to find that it was just the washer reservoir. It "seemed" to be coming from the grommet under the washer pump, (a common problem as they age) so I got a new grommet and thought problem solved.

Particularly when the reservoir was full, the dripping was pronounced, and seems to be right under the washer pump (right side).

OK, I "assume" there is a small crack in the 20 year old plastic at the bottom , so I order another reservoir.

That is also a problem, but not as common as the grommet.

The resevoir from the dealer required buying 2 other plugs because it would cover every option on a W210 (or any other model it was fitted), so I went though that. And fitting the large plug designed to cover the hole for the headlight water pump (anyone see that on a W210?) was a bear.

All seemed fine for a day then it came back.

When I have time I will see if a small mirror will help - then put it up on jack stands and look up.

When I wrestled the old one off there didn't seem to be any hoses under it but it has to be from a hose if the plastic reservoir is fine.

Looking at that picture, maybe it is the hose coming into the pump that is a bit porous. I'll let you all know...in the meantime if any of you have any ideas...

Note on the new reservoir I had a plug at the bottom (all factory parts - can supply part#s if interest) - anyway there was a clear hose attached to that - where that went who knows?
from some hose, I would think.

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,189 Posts
Post #7 maybe?... where the leak is occurring?

EDIT:
When I replaced the reservoir on the ML, I recall reading about the pump itself leaking.
Not in my case, but I'd thought I would mention this for you.

Also this - post #5 - Question on leaking washer reservoir?
I believe you already mentioned this in your post.

·
Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430
3,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply Khomer2. Like the question #5 you referenced, I'd like to know what that wire (looped) at the end of the rubber hose is for. It could very well be that the pump itself is leaking although the base seems to be dry. It's pretty crazy! No obvious place that I am seeing a leak but it is a good leak. I'll do some more digging in the next day/2.

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,189 Posts
Thanks for your reply Khomer2. Like the question #5 you referenced, I'd like to know what that wire (looped) at the end of the rubber hose is for. It could very well be that the pump itself is leaking although the base seems to be dry. It's pretty crazy! No obvious place that I am seeing a leak but it is a good leak. I'll do some more digging in the next day/2.
That wire is a heater line for the hose line and runs up to the nozzles - prevents the fluid from freeezing. Not sure why they did this since washer fluid already has a low freezing level. (unless of course, owners are just using water).

Added enhanced photo for better view of the 'wire loop' you were referring to.

Do you have headlight spray washers on your setup? And do you use it often?

Screen Shot 2020-02-03 at 7.12.53 AM.png

·
Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430
3,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't have the headlight washers and have never seen a W210 with them although I guess they would be hard to see without wipers. In re: washer fluid not freezing - California has a strange law (at least for some counties) that even in the winter they can't sell fluid protected to -20. It all (according to the label) freezes at 0 C/ 32F. But if you go up to, say, Lake Tahoe you can buy it.

I think I see the problem - the pump. (gads what else can it be?) It is wet around the new grommet and a clue I learned reading around here - if the pump has a leak you will see a lower pressure from the nozzles to the windshield.I suspect that if you had a friend you could see a rather pronounced leak with the pump on. But the reduced pressure is enough for me as I am alone here.

The leak is rather pronounced - 2 liters gone since last night.

Will try that tomorrow and will report - thanks for the input guys!

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I don't have the headlight washers and have never seen a W210 with them although I guess they would be hard to see without wipers. In re: washer fluid not freezing - California has a strange law (at least for some counties) that even in the winter they can't sell fluid protected to -20. It all (according to the label) freezes at 0 C/ 32F. But if you go up to, say, Lake Tahoe you can buy it.

I think I see the problem - the pump. (gads what else can it be?) It is wet around the new grommet and a clue I learned reading around here - if the pump has a leak you will see a lower pressure from the nozzles to the windshield.I suspect that if you had a friend you could see a rather pronounced leak with the pump on. But the reduced pressure is enough for me as I am alone here.

The leak is rather pronounced - 2 liters gone since last night.

Will try that tomorrow and will report - thanks for the input guys!
On our 97 W210 -

headlamp spray w210.png

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
3,512 Posts
Both my E55 and E320 wagon have headlight washers. I consider these features to be the most useless feature of all, especially here in california. W124 headlight wipers are more effective than headlight washers.

Unless of course, you tweak the washers so you can spray pedestrians and cars beside you if you get mad at them.

Not that I would know, of course.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A week ago, One morning I noticed a rather disturbing small river coming from my car. Since it had a bluish tinge, I was relieved to find that it was just the washer reservoir. It "seemed" to be coming from the grommet under the washer pump, (a common problem as they age) so I got a new grommet and thought problem solved.

Particularly when the reservoir was full, the dripping was pronounced, and seems to be right under the washer pump (right side).

OK, I "assume" there is a small crack in the 20 year old plastic at the bottom , so I order another reservoir.

That is also a problem, but not as common as the grommet.

The resevoir from the dealer required buying 2 other plugs because it would cover every option on a W210 (or any other model it was fitted), so I went though that. And fitting the large plug designed to cover the hole for the headlight water pump (anyone see that on a W210?) was a bear.

All seemed fine for a day then it came back.

When I have time I will see if a small mirror will help - then put it up on jack stands and look up.

When I wrestled the old one off there didn't seem to be any hoses under it but it has to be from a hose if the plastic reservoir is fine.

Looking at that picture, maybe it is the hose coming into the pump that is a bit porous. I'll let you all know...in the meantime if any of you have any ideas...

Note on the new reservoir I had a plug at the bottom (all factory parts - can supply part#s if interest) - anyway there was a clear hose attached to that - where that went who knows?
View attachment 2619171 View attachment 2619172 from some hose, I would think.
Call me 2393248314 I just went thru this got solution way better

·
Registered
7 Posts
Had this leak also. Removed grommet, built up a new one with RTV red, set unit in, firmly seated, allowed to dry, no further difficulty.

·
Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430
3,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, got a new motor from the dealer and so far, so good. I might take my dremel tool to the old motor to see where the seal is.

Not proclaiminkg success yet but it looks good (and what else could it be? ;-)

·
Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430
3,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I think after some days with no leakage I can say it was the pump that was leaking. And there was no indication of wetness on the outside of the pump that I could see. The only clue, looking back, is that the nozzle pressure was about 50% of normal. I suspect if you had a 2nd person to look at the pump while you had the washer on, you would see the leakage.

To recap:

I saw a dripping right under the pump - "assumed" it was the rubber grommet, which is always the 1st thing to consider.

Replaced the grommet, which did not solve it.

Then "assumed" it was a crack in the original reservoir. Did not want to take it out to check (which I should have done) so ordered a new one.

That wasn't it.

First time I had a leaking pump.

·
Registered
2001 E430 4Matic
37 Posts
Well, I think after some days with no leakage I can say it was the pump that was leaking. And there was no indication of wetness on the outside of the pump that I could see. The only clue, looking back, is that the nozzle pressure was about 50% of normal. I suspect if you had a 2nd person to look at the pump while you had the washer on, you would see the leakage.

To recap:

I saw a dripping right under the pump - "assumed" it was the rubber grommet, which is always the 1st thing to consider.

Replaced the grommet, which did not solve it.

Then "assumed" it was a crack in the original reservoir. Did not want to take it out to check (which I should have done) so ordered a new one.

That wasn't it.

First time I had a leaking pump.
Same thing happened here... I was so sure it was the rubber seal. I went on amazon and lo and behold, the seal and pump were sold together for $10 so I got them. I went to put the rubber grommet in and it didn't even fit, but I put in the new pump anyway "just to see" and it stopped leaking. I still have the old pump and for the life of me I have no clue how it is leaking, it looks fine. Funny the pump went but the 20 year old rubber seal is still sealing strong.

·
Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430
3,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They have to be leaking down the center but I see no place where they could.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts