Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'03 W210 E320 CDI AvG Estate
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening all,
I tow a large caravan with my 210 E320 AvG which has 5 speed trans with 'tip' function (03 model). I have nearly finished installing a supplementary transmission oil cooler in front of the front right wheel inside the bumper behind the foglight. My query is: of the two oil pipes coming out of the trans which one is the supply to the existing cooler, the one going to the top or bottom of the oil to coolant exchanger on the back of the oil filter housing?
Logic suggests the hot oil goes into the exchanger at the top and cooled oil returns to the trans from the bottom but I stand to be corrected
Andrew

·
Registered
E250 Bluetec Sprinter250 Bluetec
37,256 Posts
You must be in Europe? Nobody tows travel trailer with Mercedes in US ;)
I would question the need for additional transmission cooler, since you already have pretty efficient transmission and pretty efficient radiator on the car. Not to mention efficient engine, that doesn't produce heat good for warming up small village like some US pickups can.
Can't answer which pipe is inlet and which the outlet on tranny cooler, but checking up the temperatures after short drive would answer that quite quick.
I already bought 2 infra-red thermometers for tasks like that.
Good luck on your project and welcome to the forum.
Post some pictures of the set?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Kajtek
Sussed me straight away as a Brit! Unusual to see E-Class towing in the UK too, suspect most owners are wealthy enough to stay in Hotels and fly abroad for holidays. Truth is the 'E' is a brilliant towcar having a respectable kerbweight, realistic towhitch noseweight, prodigious torque and self-levelling suspension. You are aware that the 'van is on the back but it doesnt dent the performance much, just the fuel consumption, down from 35-38 miles/gallon to 23-24 towing.
Being a mechanic I change all the lube on the vehicle regularly and the trans fluid after each tow seems to be discoloured so suspect the fluid is getting too hot. Certainly the engine temp rises by up to 10 deg C hence the fitment of the cooler. I will post some photos of the installation (and the 'rig') which has been very straightforward needing no extra holes in the chassis/ bodywork, just two custom brackets, a 19 row cooler and two custom made hoses. The dummy air intake beside the foglight has been made functional and a scoop has been fabricated which fits in place of the access hatch for changing the foglight bulb.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
E250 Bluetec Sprinter250 Bluetec
37,256 Posts
I still remember a BMW 318 pulling 26' trailer from my visit to Europe few years back. Than years ago I remember 21 HP Fiats 126 pulling campers as well.
In US average mind is, that you need 8-liter V8 to pull anything.
When I was pulling 3600 lb travel trailer with ML320 I had few people asking me "can you do it legally?" ;)
Coming back to transmission temperatures -there is lot of myths about it. I own motorhome, where transmission pushing 15 tons work very hard on regular bases and the transmission retarder is putting lot of heat on it, while slowing down on long California grades. Having a gauge I see well over 300F on it quite often. Even that falls well into "unrecommended" range I never had a problem and the original fluid is over 10 years old with same new refills due to the leak couple years ago.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Kajtek
sets my mind at ease a little, your comment about motorhome reminds me of when we used to travel all over europe towing our racecar (Lola T70 111b) with a 33 foot Winnebago, the long climb to the Nurburgring in the Eiffel Mountains saw the demise of many outfits but the Winnie took it in its stride (8 litre Chevy) Going to carry on with the cooler for peace of mind and the extra pint or so of liquid gold that is MB trans fluid.
Andrew:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts