Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI THERE (W210 E320CDi AVANTGARDE ESTATE 2000 W PLATE)

DIAGNOSED TO REPLACE ALTERNATOR BY RAC. TRYING YO FIND ECONOMIVAL WAY OF REPLACING. MERC DEALER PART £600+FITTING.

2ND HAND PART £220-£300 + 3HRS LABOUR FITTING.

DOES 2ND HAND PART SOUND THE BEST ROUTE? BUY FROM BREAKERS WITH 90 DAYS GUARANTEE.

FOUND AN INDEPENDENT MERC GARAGE TO FIT, THEY QUOTED 3HRS. IS THIS THE CORRECT AMOUNT OF TIME ?

WATER COOLED ALTERNATOR ?

ANY BODY HAD THIS SITUATION ?

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
Hello Jabowscott and welcome to the forum. Please take a moment to complete your user profile including your location and vehicle model and year. I suspect that you are in England.

That sounds very expensive for a used part, but breakers often want half of the new cost. How many miles are on it?

I've never heard of a water-cooled alternator.

·
Registered
W211/W210 Estate /W209/W208
1,970 Posts
Most of the time its the regulator..Have the shop test the alternator FIRST rather than selling you a complete alternator ..As the regulator goes wide open or off when it goes..Done LOTS of regulators!

·
Registered
2000 E320 (Retired) / 2006 S350 / 1983 380SL - MBCA Member
66 Posts
Unless there is something VERY special about the alternator, 3 hours labor is excessive. I just replace the alternator on my 2000 E320. Total time including putting the tools away and washing up for dinner was less than an hour. This is a very DIY friendly procedure. No special tools needed.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Unless there is something VERY special about the alternator, 3 hours labor is excessive. I just replace the alternator on my 2000 E320. Total time including putting the tools away and washing up for dinner was less than an hour. This is a very DIY friendly procedure. No special tools needed.
Well, I needed external torx bits, those are a fairly specialized tool, but necessary for meaningful DIY work on the MB lineup.

Scott, if this is your only car and you can't mess with it (you'll have to pull the alternator to have it tested properly, you can't drive like this or your battery will go dead and strand you) just buy a rebuilt unit and put it in yourself. It's not difficult at all. (I'm guessing in the UK "2nd hand" also includes rebuilt. This side of the pond 2nd hand means USED, and I wouldn't go that route, but rebuilt is fine.)

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
2007 E550, 2007 GL450
480 Posts
600 quid seems excessive to me. Ditto the regulator comments, get a better assessment before buying another alternator.

May want to TAKE OFF THE CAPS LOCK AS WELL. We can hear you clearly from across the pond. ;)

·
Registered
W209 320 2004 W906 Sprinter 313 CDI 2013
59 Posts
A used alternator would be off a damaged or worst still a water-damaged car unless its really cheap its better to go for an MB exchange unit with some sort of guarantee.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts