Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1996 E320 Elegance ( W210 ) Petrol / 220,000 miles. 1997 V230 Ambiente (W638) Petrol / 150,000 miles
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I recently had the misfortune to have an unscheduled rendezvous with a fox, which resulted in my coolant radiator, aircon radiator, engine cooling fan and a few other bits and pieces having to be replaced.

Following the repairs, I noticed that the engine coolant temperature was 60 deg C, where it had previously always run at around 80 deg C. The reason the repairer gave for this was that replacement radiator ( being brand new ) was more efficient at cooling than the old radiator it replaced. I have owned the car from 80,000 miles and up to the 'fox incident' at 220,000 miles, the engine had always run at 80 deg C.

Can any forum members advise what the 'normal' engine running temperature should be for the E320 straight six 24 valve engine ?

Thank you in advance for your comments: :confused:

·
Registered
1996 E320 Elegance ( W210 ) Petrol / 220,000 miles. 1997 V230 Ambiente (W638) Petrol / 150,000 miles
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the post Misikmann.

I had already checked the thermostat. Took is out and checked it with a pan of hot water and a themometer. The 'stat is set to open at 86.9 deg C. Its opening and closing fine at the correct temperature.

I have also checked the coolant temperature with a thermometer and it's the same as showing on the water temperature gauge. :confused:

·
Registered
2001 E320 wagon
733 Posts
There has to be something wrong with the system somewhere if its only running at 60C real temperature measured.
The fuel injection programming is set to enrich up to 72C where it goes into closed loop running so at 60C you are going to be using a lot of petrol. Like running with the choke on all of the time. This sort of running also wont do your engine any good as the wear will also be higher at those sort of running temperatures.
The only real control of the water temp is through the thermostat and a new radiator should not make that much difference, unless the radiator is too small causing the engine to overheat a bigger radiator just gives more cooling capacity but the thermostat should be able to control the temp. The US model thermostats are fully open at 82c and should maintain the temp at 82 under most normal conditions.
Other than the thermostat there is nothing else that has a significant effect on limiting cooling temperature - you may need to get someone local to check the system as you are going to have to get the temperature up
cheers
Barri

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the post Barri,

Your response echos what I had already believed to be true ( but unfortunately, not the garage that did the repairs for me ! )

Even though the 'stat appeared to operate OK when I checked it in a hot water bath, I've decided to replace it with a new one this weekend. There is a chance that the exisiting one could be sticcking open.

I'll let you know what happens.

Ciao - S.S. :)

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,854 Posts
I did have serpentine belt routed in wrong loop by professional once and am only thinking how could it be possible to make a wrong loop on cooling system.
If the thermostat opens at 80C as it suppose to be, maybe it is wrong thermostat and is not closing something?
Other way to observe thermostat working is timing it. The engine temperature should raise quickly to the set temperature and than just stop there. If the temperature is raising slowly and it takes long time to stabilize -the thermostat is not working.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I fitted a new thermostat last weekend and this has solved the problem.

The engine temperature now quickly gets up to 82 deg C and stays there ( as it had always done before the replacement coolant & aircon radiators were fitted )

It's strange that the old 'stat appeared to be functioning normally when I recently tested it in a pan of hot water. It must have been sticking open.

Anyway, everything is now back to normal. " C'est la vie" I guess! :D

·
Registered
2001 E320 wagon
733 Posts
glad you got it sorted out. keep away from foxes from now on :D
Nice to see someone from bridgend on the board - I grew up in cefn glas.
Hwyl fawr
Barri

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cheers Barri and thanks for the post.

I live in Park Street, just around the corner from your old ' stamping ground ' ...... small world 'aint it !

I grew up in Barry, moved to Sully in 1976 and lived there for 20 years. We moved to Bridgend in 1997 ( purely because my wife is from there ! ) and have lived there ever since. We are hoping to move to Italy to live in the not too distant future.

Ciao - S-S. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2001 E320 wagon
733 Posts
everyone always seems to leave bridgend :)
my family left when I was 6 - about 50 years ago now:eek: lived all over the world since then. keeps you young and handsome!
keep well
barri

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.