Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
E320 CDi ( W211 ) 2005; E320 (W210) 1996 ; V230 (W638) 1997
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I have recently had to replace the SRS airbag cable which lives behind the steering wheel. The existing cable developed a fault within the 'clock-spring' ribbon cable. As this happened when the ignition was on, the SRS warning light still remains on even though a new cable has been fitted ( all done with the battery disconnected ! )

I understand that the only way to reset the SRS warning light is to take the car to an MB dealer and have it done using STAR ? Does anyone have an idea what this is likely to cost ?

Is there any sort of 'electrickery' than can be used to reset this light without using STAR ?

Any assistance would be appreciated. :)

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Cost would depend, at least partly, on the dealer. My bet is there is a minimum hourly charge that will apply. Most probably .5 hours or 1.0 if they are greedy. This code erasure should be a 5-10 minute job. Raise the hood, plug it in, hit a couple of buttons, bingo.

·
Registered
2001-W210-CAPRI METALIC BLUE-/ 2002-W210 E300D
908 Posts
Sure?

r u sure it was the cable.

in my experience when faults are corrected the system resets and light goes off.
B

·
Registered
E320 CDi ( W211 ) 2005; E320 (W210) 1996 ; V230 (W638) 1997
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
r u sure it was the cable.

in my experience when faults are corrected the system resets and light goes off.
B
Thanks for the post.

No question about it - it is the cable. The 'clockspring' ribbon cable had fractured within the cassette.

I have a replacement cable, Part No. 170 460 00 49 ( cost £ 78.00 in the UK ) but have not had time to fit it yet.

The way I understand it is that after the new cable is fitted and the system re-energised, the SRS warning light will still remain on. The only way to reset it then is to use STAR.

I will update the thread when I have fitted the new cable.

Thanks K

·
Registered
2 Posts

I have recently had to replace the SRS airbag cable which lives behind the steering wheel. The existing cable developed a fault within the 'clock-spring' ribbon cable. As this happened when the ignition was on, the SRS warning light still remains on even though a new cable has been fitted ( all done with the battery disconnected ! )

I understand that the only way to reset the SRS warning light is to take the car to an MB dealer and have it done using STAR ? Does anyone have an idea what this is likely to cost ?

Is there any sort of 'electrickery' than can be used to reset this light without using STAR ?

Any assistance would be appreciated. :)
Where did u get the procedure info for replacing the cable. I cannot get the plugs apart. Any help??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts