Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1996 E230 "Few AMG Hilights"
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi W210'ers..... Can anyone tell me if all W210's have a Bose amp as standard? Mines an oldie '96 E230 and I've istalled a new head unit to suit a CD changer in the boot (Sony 4 x 50watt) I know the car has about 10 speakers all up (all 4 ohm) as per manufacturer but it's very low on bass sound. I read a forum mentioning a bose amp in W210 models and wondered if I have by-passed it when wiring the newie in. If they have can anyone tell me where it's located please?

One other little niggle while here.... why dosen't anyone ever mention the E230's on their site? every time I'm loolking something up for this model, nobody mentions it in their listing for parts. Even when looking up the w210 forum on this site "NO E230" Like I know she's only a lttle banger as far as donks go but there is smaller always mentioned. s the 230 a lemon or something? lol..... When I look up parts I always pop in the 320 so I can get listings.... Maybe she just wasn't a popular model

Great to hear back anything about the bose anyway guys Cheers Marty "Oz"

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Hi, Marty.

Please click user cp and add your vehicle and location to your profile, it's useful information. And it will answer your second question. Most folks here are in the US, and the 3.2L (whether L6 or V6) was the smallest engine available here. Depending on the year, when you're looking up engine-related parts try the W202/203 C230, that may prove more helpful. Non-engine parts, use the 320 as you've been doing, or you could bypass the problem by paying $12/yr to have access to the EPC on your windows-based PC. Look up the part, get the number, google it and you're good to go.

If you run your vin it will detail your sound, but I think ten speakers means you have Bose. The amp is located behind the liner above the left rear wheel, accessed through the trunk. Good luck.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aaaaaaahhh bugger! I took a look and there's no amp..."back to the drawing board" it was worth the punt. Maybe I will need to install an amp?
Mate thankyou so much for your reply and I have updated my info too
Cheers Marty

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
When my car was new, and according to the sales literature I have, the 8-speaker Bose sound system was an option on the E320. In 2001 it was part of Package E2 which included the power tinted glass sunroof and the rain-sensing automatic intermittant windshield wipers. Also in that year the Bose system was standard in the E430 and E55.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
In MY 96 it may also be under the rear seat. OTOH it's entirely possible you don't have a Bose system.

You might take a look/search in the audio forum, MB shared audio systems across many platforms and there's probably good information in there.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Musikmann mine actually has 10 speakers, well 8 speakers and 2 tweeters and they are all there as I have checked them all. I'm a little confused because the back parcel shelf speakers even have cross over coils on them which I had to by-pass to make the speaker work at all, hence I thought maybe there was an amp???? I guess the other thing is maybe the old head unit was pre-amped? It sounds like you may have hit the nail on the head Musikmann, It's only in the 430 & 55. Mine is an Australian assembled model W210 with the sunroof and custom ordered black interior but no rain sensor "I think?" lol.

Also Thanks gregs210 I have seen under the back seat when replacing the dam battery that cost me about the same as the car did "just kidding" but I will pop over to the audio forum for a gander anyway........ Cheers guys and thanks again

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
You're welcome mccam,

But I probably shouldn't have opened my big mouth for a few reasons:

1) On some cars the 2 "tweeters" are not part of the audio system but rather involve the TeleAid feature and/or hands-free operation of the telephone.

2) On at least some cars with a Bose system the name Bose appears on the speaker grills on the back parcel shelf. Mine do.

3) You have a 1996 Austrailian-built E230 and I have a 2001 German-built E320. The option packages and available features are probably completely different. As one example I don't think the rain sensing wipers were available here is the US in 1996 and have no idea about down under.

Anyway, best of luck with your stereo upgrade!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks again Musikmann......my tweeters work fine with the sound output but I think the option may be popping in a small amp for some low bass all round.

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
I think more than a few Aussie owners get wind of partial information, then go at the job, and find they need more info.

The '96 E 320 non-Bose has (3) pairs of speakers: front door, rear door, rear deck.

The Bose has (4) pairs, with working front dash tweeters (in non-Bose these are grills only).

If you get sound out of the dash grills, then you have a Bose system.

The rear deck speakers look like (2) speakers each to you, but thats you, they are considered one "speaker" each with two speaker elements and a small crossiver element - then your (10) speakers makes sense.

On your 4 ohm comment, have no idea where you got that from, the "Bose" system speakers are 2 ohm.

You can either give up finding your Bose amp, and "pop in" a new amp - but that "amp" about the size of 2 packs of cigarettes is still there - and for your "pop in" (like your install) you are headed to trouble since the little Bose is still there.

To "pop in" you will need to get aropund that amp - and run output from the head unit direct to your new amp, and run new speaker wire from your new amp directly to your
(8) speakers (which you call 10).

I get it - most Aussies think they beat the Scots in frugality, and most Aussies think you neat all comers on mechancial ingenuity - it will be interested if you choose to post your final result.

Keep the bea - but get on track - go for a walk about, or go get pissed tonight - then look at it with fresh eyes in the morning mate..

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thankyou fab, firstly I don't drink and secondly I ride because I couldn't be *ucked walking.

Mate I have looked for the amp were it was pictured on both driver side and passenger and it's not there, one would assume that it dosen't have one? and the back speakers with the cross-overs are deffinately 4 ohms. There are two dash speaker - 2 tweeters in the top front doors - 2 in the bse of the front doors 2 in the rear doors and the two in the rear parcel shelf..... I have even removed the front grills to check they have them in. Maybe the amp is located somewhere else or the original player was pre-amped?

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
I can only give a "guess" that you might check.

If not, might be under drivers side trunk panel, up close between the trunk hinge and the back seat.

-

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Think of where the gas filler door would be if it was on the driver's side - might be there.

·
Registered
1996 E320, 2005 Toyota Camry
1,810 Posts
Bose?

The rear deck speakers in my '96 E320 have Bose on them, but the quality of sound is stinko (not much treble and NO deep bass). What could my problem be?
Hemersam

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Rear speakers E320

The rear deck speakers in my '96 E320 have Bose on them, but the quality of sound is stinko (not much treble and NO deep bass). What could my problem be?
Hemersam
Hi Bev, your rear speakers have cross overs or pre-amps on them. If you have changed your head unit like I have, it won't be the same as the original that was in the car. What I did was by pass those coils located on the rear speakers (you can see them through the trunk" or boot as we call it in Oz. I clipped the connections to the coils and soldered the speaker wires on to the terminals of the speakers like a direct connection. That made a huge difference to the sound quality. If your not into all that jazz, just get someone to do it for you. I thought about different speakers but I like the quality of Bose and added an amp and bass kicker to give a little more punch to the sound..... Hope this helps Bev Regards, Marty Down under

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Did this "no bass" happen all of a sudden, or has this been they way it hs been since you got the car ?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts