Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

Anybody in the Brisbane area have the right computer / scan tool to help me clear an SRS airbags light code on my E55? 1999 model with the round 38 pin computer adaptor in the engine bay.

The airbag got disconnected when I was stuffing around with the horn pad on the steering wheel. I don't have the right scan computer to clear the code is all.

Please help!

Hi all.

Anybody in the Brisbane area have the right computer / scan tool to help me clear an SRS airbags light code on my E55? 1999 model with the round 38 pin computer adaptor in the engine bay.

The airbag got disconnected when I was stuffing around with the horn pad on the steering wheel. I don't have the right scan computer to clear the code is all.

Please help!
Welcome Simonpf,

Pickup a decent scanner yourself on Amazon.
They're relatively inexpensive and will save you $$ down the road, if your driving one of these 20+ yo w210s.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Any specific brand/s you can recommend. I believe I need one that specifically allows access to the SRS system.

Any specific brand/s you can recommend. I believe I need one that specifically allows access to the SRS system.
I use an Autel MD802 with the correct 38pin socket that works for all my modules on our 97 amg. This one should work for 99 e55. Check on amazon. If it doesnt for yours, you can always return it. But do make sure you have the correct 38pin connector and not some cheap knockoff. The 38pins are not all created equal. I've seen and read many who have gone the cheap route (on the 38pins) with no success.

Registered
2000 E430 4Matic 142,000 miles
This one comes with the correct cable.

Registered
Maybe I鈥檓 wrong but I thought these generations cars run a self check each start and would turnoff any warning light if the system is functions but will store the code.
You may want to make sure everything is connected properly before spending.
I have had my MY99 E55 for 8 years and used an OBD code reader only twice for a mis-fire and Park Sensors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
Not Mercedes, especially for airbag. All airbag codes, whether current or stored, will trigger the SRS light....in the same way that in early W210 transmission codes in the TCM will trigger limp mode, whether or not the codes are current or stored.

It's the Honda and Toyota that run a self check and self clear the lights.

Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
Some SRS faults will self-clear the SRS light. The passenger seat sensor is one. The SRS light comes on when my son gets off the passenger seat in some rare instances. It clears within few minutes. However it is correct that the airbag related faults will not self-clear.

Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
I know driver side airbag, door airbag, driver seat SRS connector, all impact sensors will not self clear. This is for MB.

Registered
2000 E55 AMG
Will the SRS light come on if you disconnect the battery before disconnecting the airbag? I'm going to replace the steering wheel on my W210 in the next few weeks and will need to remove the airbag in the process.

Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
Disconnect the battery before you do any work on the steering wheel column (like change of the combi stalk). Re-connect the battery only after everything is connected back. Do not re-connect the battery with the airbag disconnected (to test the stalk operation for example). Doing so will cause the SRS light to pop up, and then you need the scanner to reset it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts