Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All 3-Pointed Star Lovers,

I been doing a little research and came up with the findings below, however they are still some questions that are yet to be answered. I'm hoping that the Pros in this forum can help. The reason behind this so called research is to find out whether is it possible to do a complete/identical/exact facelift and how much would it cost. Ok! Here goes nothing in no particular order.

1.The most obvious, the front bumper is sloppier and goes up to the middle of the headlamps.
2.The rear tail lights are white for elegance and blackish for avantgarde- where the design is longish rectangular shape.
3.Assymmetrical Xenon Headlamps
4.Signal Indicator on both the Side Mirrors - the signal indicatior at the side body of the car has been removed.
5.Speedometer - new design with display information
6.Multi-function steering - which can control the Radio,CD Changer and other diagnostic functions
7.Interior Door Handles are longer.
8.5 Speed Tranmission with Steptronic - P,R,N,D,+,- whereas the non facelift have an extra 4,3,2,
9.Third Brake Light is longish rectangular
10.Front Grille - Four Lourve Radiator Grille
11. Shift Knob/Gear Knob is a newer and different design. (dunno how to explain this part)
12. Engine capacity increase to 2597 CC but i read there are facelift models which are 2398 CC . Sifu please clarify.

OK! From here on I'm not sure on whether it is an additional specs or it was never available in the non facelift model. Pros your input will be much appreciated.

1. Automatic Dual Climate Control - was this spec available in the non facelift models?
2. Parktronic System - same question as above.
3. Command System with TV, Navigation, Telephone etc.
4. Parametric Steering
5. Electric Memory Seat - Memory Package for seats, steering & side mirrors positions.
6. Rear Reading Lights
7. Heated Seats or Heated and Air-Conditioned seats where nearly the entire front portion of the seat is perforated.
8. Radiator is separate from the engine. I have seen a 98 model where there is a joint from the radiator to the engine.
9. Folding side mirrors.
10. Rear Blinds.
11.Automatic Dimming for all mirrors.(not lights)
12.Rear Passenger Airbags/Sidebags
13.Curtain Airbags above the seat belt section.

That is all I have managed to find out, I hope the regulars can give some input. I think the easiest way to tell a facelift model is by looking at the side section of the car where the signal indicator used to be on the non facelift model.

NO Signal Indicator = Face Lift

Can't wait for all the replies.

Cheers![:O)]

·
Registered
SLK320, MKV Jetta TDI, Mini Cooper S, Lincoln Mark LT
1,712 Posts
Some of the things like the change in the engine are not directly part of the face lift. ...

Some of the things like the change in the engine are not directly part of the face lift. Other things are option changes that are progressions through the years and not exactly part of a facelife. The facelift was done in late 99 for the 2000 model to make the bumpers and front grill of the W210 look more like the CLK. The hood was sloped more and the grill was made smaller. The bumpers and side impact strips were changed like you said. FOr the 2000+ models, the inner door panels were changed slightly and the door handel is longer. The instrument cluster changed to add the information screen below the speedometer. Most of those options were available before the facelift and the engine design changed with the 98 model year. In the US, we never got the option of the 4 cylinder engine so I don't know when they may have changed. My point is that the facelift may refer to the body changes and not any yearly progressions.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Complete Facelift

Hi AMG,

My friend who owns a 1998 E320 European model wants to do a complete facelift with the exception of the engine. Most of the exterior parts can be done, however the problem we are facing is the signal indicator at the side of car. I think US models have the signal indicator on the front bumper. The next problem is the door handles, digital climate control and multi-function sterring.

Has anyone know of a person doing a complete facelift?

Cheers ! [:eek:)]

·
Registered
2002 E55 AMG
104 Posts
JUST BUY A NEWER CAR!

IMHO I think upgrading everything that Gawd mentions would cost more that buying an updated car especially considering the cost of parts and installation. You would have to upgrade the headlamps also, and if Xenon units they cost about $900 each US.

Here is a European company that does facelifts

www.vhtuning.be

1 - 5 of 5 Posts