Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At random times my cellphone module(below the radio) shuts off and turns on...ground issue? has anyone dealt with a problem like this? I've noticed while driving that the "tone" sounds, as if the car has just been turned on...please help.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,863 Posts
It sounds to me like a loose connection in the system somewhere - just what it is, I don't know. Check copper wire as well as any fiber optic connections.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Although the phone in my wagon is in the center console I'm experiencing the same issue and it is annoying to say the least. I pulled fuse 15, under the hood, which is suppose to be the phone fuse and the tone still rings several times per minute regardless of the radio being on or off. Any thoughts?

·
W210 Moderator
4,964 Posts
can you record and play the tone here? i'm thinking it's the DTMF two frequency tone upon start up of the car which is the defunct SOS feature ?! what do you think?

·
Registered
7 Posts
It is the same tone I hear upon start up in the 1khz frequency range. I can hear a low volume sound that resembles something being plugged in then unplugged but this tone is like an old bag phone back in the day, just like at start up. I'm not sure how to record the audio only. What fuse can I pull to disable the SOS system?

·
W210 Moderator
4,964 Posts
use SDS, or disconnect the speaker which should be the little triangle speaker. your description doesn't verify it one way or the other for me (words on a screen) so I'm making my best guess

·
W210 Moderator
4,964 Posts
dealer grade diagnostic/multiplexor. chinese versions available but still $500+.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So I can't turn off the SOS without a device of some sort? Can't I just pull a fuse? I've already pulled the phone fuse but it still makes the tones

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,863 Posts
No, you need SDS as advised - or, disable the speaker (which would not get rid of the visible warning). Although written for the W220, here is some information that may be helpful on bypassing the Tele-Aid system entirely - https://www.benzworld.org/threads/how-to-remove-tele-aid-module-completely-from-w220-d2b-optic-ring.1882042/ (your car will have a D2B fiber system)

It is awfully hard to defend the position that bypassing Tele-Aid is illegal. The system in your '02 uses only analog frequencies that are no longer in use in the US or Canada. Unless you upgraded your system to a digital one, it is completely useless. It is likely that the problem you are encountering is due to the system seeking to make contact via frequencies that are no longer in use for cellular communication, and when it does not "see" them, it gives you the warning.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts